What are my options if I need a new transmission?

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Out of nowhere my 5speed transmission will no longer shift into reverse. I've managed to determine that the problem is inside the transmission rather than with the shifter/linkages. I'm hoping that removing/replacing the gear selector tower/bearings or something easy like that will fix it, but in the unfortunate event that a new transmission is required can anybody recommend where to look for a new one? Or any other considerations for such major surgery?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
these transmissions are usually pretty reliable, just find a good used one and have a shop swap it in, its straight forward since you already had your clutch changed you dont need to worry about that part.
I have never had one personally fail on me.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
If you want a new one, the VW dealer is the ONLY option.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
If you want a new one, the VW dealer is the ONLY option.
Without having checked, is it even possible to order a brand new one? Mine only has 150K on it so it would be a shame to replace it with a used unit with 300+ on it. Car is at Perjad's today so will learn its fate shortly.

krazykipa

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI (RIP), 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
Without having checked, is it even possible to order a brand new one? Mine only has 150K on it so it would be a shame to replace it with a used unit with 300+ on it. Car is at Perjad's today so will learn its fate shortly.
Sure, you're looking at roughly $2K + tax for a rebuilt unit from VW.

EGR (top) vs. EUH (btm)

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I have a used one with 172K on it that I'll part with if you need it.

Simon

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
I have a used one with 172K on it that I'll part with if you need it.

Simon
Thanks! PM sent.

Had the car into Perjad's today and we are both stumped. We are left with multiple low-probability options:

Reverse gear bad (unlikely because you can still get it into reverse sometimes and there is no grinding or anything). Would require rebuild or replacement transmission.

Shift tower bad (unlikely since no other gears affected). Easy to replace but hard to source.

Reverse selector fork bent (unfamiliar with this but apparently would require a rebuild or swap transmission).

At the moment trying to source just the shift tower/housing since that is the easiest to change. Problem is nobody wants to sell those separate from the transmission, and the dealer wants a fortune for one (more than a whole used transmission). So may have to go the replacement transmission option regardless :(.

Last edited:

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
Contact DasParts in Cambridge... I was asking earlier today about a shifter tower, and the said they had a used one in good condition for $40.

I have a gearbox with what appears to be a badly worn "ballsleeve" that supports the linkage rod in the center of the tower, and was thinking I might prefer to rebuild a spare rather than taking the car out of service while I fight with removal of the old "ballsleeve" bushing.

I have since found a deal on a spare gearbox that I couldn't pass up, so I have some freedom to approach the problem from a couple of angles.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Reverse gear is easy to change unless you chewed up the main shaft. Takes about an hour once the box is out on the floor. The old 020's used to break them, but I've only seen it once on 02J. It sheared the mini shaft right off at the thrust bearing.

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
Thanks! PM sent.

Had the car into Perjad's today and we are both stumped. We are left with multiple low-probability options:

Reverse gear bad (unlikely because you can still get it into reverse sometimes and there is no grinding or anything). Would require rebuild or replacement transmission.

Shift tower bad (unlikely since no other gears affected). Easy to replace but hard to source.

Reverse selector fork bent (unfamiliar with this but apparently would require a rebuild or swap transmission).

At the moment trying to source just the shift tower/housing since that is the easiest to change. Problem is nobody wants to sell those separate from the transmission, and the dealer wants a fortune for one (more than a whole used transmission). So may have to go the replacement transmission option regardless :(.

Did it get sorted out? All good now?

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Did it get sorted out? All good now?
Perjad sourced a replacement shift tower for me and that *seems* to have done the job. It hasn't failed since it was installed so I am cautiously optimistic. I say that because I did have brief periods where it would seem to fix itself before, but usually only for a few minutes or so and then it would act up again. Since the new tower was installed yesterday it hasn't given me any issues so it appears to be good so far.

Incidentally it is fairly hard to find a replacement shift tower. Understandably people only want to sell intact transmissions, or want you to pay out the nose to separate. One jackass from Woodbridge who has a pile of VWs being parted out on Kijiji was trying to play games with me but fortunately Perjad was able to find one. Hopefully he is not a member here - if he is we should shun him appropriately.

Last edited:

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
Perjad sourced a replacement shift tower for me and that *seems* to have done the job. It hasn't failed since it was installed so I am cautiously optimistic. I say that because I did have brief periods where it would seem to fix itself before, but usually only for a few minutes or so and then it would act up again. Since the new tower was installed yesterday it hasn't given me any issues so it appears to be good so far.

Incidentally it is fairly hard to find a replacement shift tower. Understandably people only want to sell intact transmissions, or want you to pay out the nose to separate. One jackass from Woodbridge who has a pile of VWs being parted out on Kijiji was trying to play games with me but fortunately Perjad was able to find one. Hopefully he is not a member here - if he is we should shun him appropriately.

Curious to know what parts were replaced... did it include the whole shifter rod and receiver that is visible when the top cover of the shifter tower is removed? I have mine opened up at the moment, hoping that I can get away with just replacing the collar/bushng inserted into the cover, and reinstalling with new seals.

I can clearly see some rusty lube where the original bushing was inserted, and am concerned about what contaminants may have found their way into the gearbox case.

Vindiesel6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS TDI & 2015 Q5 TDI
For anyone who truly needs a new transmission, contact Aaron at Cascade German parts.com he has new and remanufactured transmissions for these cars at great prices. I installed a reman 02J in my alh back in December with excellent results. The rebuild quality is top notch and price along with the warranty are the best you will find.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Curious to know what parts were replaced... did it include the whole shifter rod and receiver that is visible when the top cover of the shifter tower is removed? I have mine opened up at the moment, hoping that I can get away with just replacing the collar/bushng inserted into the cover, and reinstalling with new seals.

I can clearly see some rusty lube where the original bushing was inserted, and am concerned about what contaminants may have found their way into the gearbox case.
So mine is like the one on the right (notched). The parts that were replaced were the upper housing (part that bolts to the top of the transmission and includes the bearing) and the tower itself. The bottom piece (I call that the "receiver") was not replaced.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
For anyone who truly needs a new transmission, contact Aaron at Cascade German parts.com he has new and remanufactured transmissions for these cars at great prices. I installed a reman 02J in my alh back in December with excellent results. The rebuild quality is top notch and price along with the warranty are the best you will find.
This is the Ontario forum. I would think shipping/border fees would make Cascade German too expensive for Canadian customers. But probably still worth checking.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks.. in my case, I have the housing assembly off, but the tower is still in the gearbox.

I am tempted just to replace the bearing in the housing assembly , clean up the tower as much as possible and reassemble.

Not fully aware of what I might be getting into, I am a bit reluctant to remove the entire tower assembly, but that would probably be the proper way to do it to ensure a complete inspection and thorough cleaning.