Is Dealer hiding Timing Chain Tensioner information?

sbbamafan

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I took my Q5 TDI in for the 45k service and a few items of concern. One item was a noise it makes on cold startup. I also asked about this at the 35k service right after I bought the car. At that time they simply said they didn't hear anything but they did not write that I asked about the noise. This time I asked about four or five things including the noise. Each and every one was listed and responded to on the paperwork they returned to me. Additionally, I talked to my service-writer about them all including the noise. He told me the noise is the timing chain tensioner and that some diesels do this and this noise is within tolerance and nothing to be concerned about. I have read enough about this that I specifically told him to make sure to note this in my records. When I picked up my car, I was in somewhat of a hurry - grabbed it and left. I now realize as I looked back at the paperwork, they documented all the items EXCEPT the timing chain tensioner. There is not one word about me asking about it or them checking it or anything. What are your thoughts? Does it seem like they are avoiding it or am I paranoid?

FWIW - now that I have been told what it is, I have looked on youtube and the noise is unmistakably the same as the noise identified as the TCT on many videos. What should I do? How much of this noise is 'normal'? I have an extended warranty (105,000 miles) so I am less concerned.

commedeschatons

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon 5mt, 2016 VW Touareg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, 2011 335d Msport, 2009 Q7 TDI
the chain noise you described is normal for like 2 seconds on startup and should go away after that. You'll probably notice it more in cold temps. If that's what you have, you should have nothing to worry about, especially at your mileage.

Jozzie

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
All of our cars do the 2 second chain rattle on startup due to no oil. Now if your car stays clacking away or longer then 10 seconds you have issues.