Cargo Cover for 2003 TDI Jetta Wagon

heorotlinea

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon
Hello, all,

I'm looking for a replacement cover for my 2003 TDI Jetta Wagon. My original one was damaged by glass when I got rear-ended a few years ago. The shop that repaired my car said they were going to order another one covered by my insurance, but they never did.

I went to my dealer, but they want over $400 for it. In looking on Ebay, I found a cover for a 2002 Jetta Wagon that costs much less.

My question is this: Is this cover likely to fit my car?

I appreciate your help.

Thank you!

David Hartline

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
heorotlinea said:
I went to my dealer, but they want over $400 for it. In looking on Ebay, I found a cover for a 2002 Jetta Wagon that costs much less.

My question is this: Is this cover likely to fit my car?
David Hartline
__. David, I'd like to help you on this one but MzLauraLee and I both have '03's. The rear bumper etc. is different on the '03 versus the '02 but I'd be willing to guess that the cover is the same. But I don't know for sure.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I'd gamble on it. Darn sight cheaper than OEM. It should fit; AFAIK the changes between Wagon years were limited to the mechanical changes common to all Jettas (wouldn't affect the interior) or were slight cosmetic changes (like the bumper Mr. G mentioned). If, for some odd reason, it does not fit, you probably could sell it on some auction site for what you paid for it.

Have you checked sites like VWVortex or a local salvage yard? Many/most yards around here are tied in to each other electronically so they can see what other places have in stock.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
__. Back on this one. The cargo cover on my 03 wagon has become "unwound". I've tried lots of different things to try to get it wound back up tight so that the window-shade function works but it just keeps sagging out. Anybody have tips on how to work this?
Thanks, Mr G

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Not sure how to wind them up, but Cascade German just got a supply of new ones.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure how to wind them up, but Cascade German just got a supply of new ones.
Yeah, I guess new is an option (after 485,000 miles, I don't mind investing in my car) but the deal of a couple of hundred $$$ versus rolling up the one I have is hard for an old, retired guy to swallow.
I'm pretty sure that there's a trick of triggering the two end pieces (or one of the end pieces) while the actual cover is being wound but I have been unsuccessful in figuring that one out.