Newb with a Jetta DSG trans problem.

Janos

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Without wasting everyone's time, I have a DSG trans that doesn't want to go into reverse when it gets warmed up. Is there a inexpensive fix or am I screwed. OR Has someone done a 6 speed swap? If they have what trans code do I look for when searching?
Thanks in advance

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Do you have a scanner or someone with one to scan the transmission and the rest of the car? That is where I would start. The mechtronic unit in the front of the DSG is what controls the shifts. How many miles are on the car? It may need a trans service. VW strongly recommends it every 40k miles. I bought a Beetle diesel with a DSG with 150k on the clock and the fluid had never been changed. It had overheated and cooked the electronics. I ended having to buy a new DSG to the tune of $5000 out the door to get it back on the road. Start with the simple stuff like a scan.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
HAHA! Without details, you ARE wasting eveyone's time!!!!!

How many miles? Are you the original owner? Any previous issues? Has it lived entirely in Tampa?
Has it had 40k services?
How has the car been driven?

Janos

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Do you have a scanner or someone with one to scan the transmission and the rest of the car? That is where I would start. The mechtronic unit in the front of the DSG is what controls the shifts. How many miles are on the car? It may need a trans service. VW strongly recommends it every 40k miles. I bought a Beetle diesel with a DSG with 150k on the clock and the fluid had never been changed. It had overheated and cooked the electronics. I ended having to buy a new DSG to the tune of $5000 out the door to get it back on the road. Start with the simple stuff like a scan.
Yeah, codes would make a difference. There is a permanent P2711 on the trans
P2711 trouble code definition. A P2711 fault code is generated when the transmission control module (TCM) or powertrain control module (PCM) detects a problem between the output shaft speed signals and the input shaft speed signals.
This doesn't mean jack to me.
The car is an '09 with 175K that I recently bought from someone in Vero Beach. The car hasn't done but 400 miles in the last two years according to the oil change sticker in the window. The body and underside says that it looks like a FL car.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Google Ross-Tech. It has a lot of information specific to VW trouble codes. This is what it said about the one you have:
19143/P2711/010001 - Unexpected / Implausible Mechanical Gear Disengagement
19143/P2711/010001 - Unexpected / Implausible Mechanical Gear Disengagement: No Signal/Communication

Possible Symptoms

• Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
  • Transmission Malfunction
  • Erratic Driving Behavior
Possible Causes

• Double Clutch worn/faulty
  • Worn/Damaged gear shaft(s)
  • Output Shaft Speed Sensor 1/2 (G501/G502) faulty
  • Mechatronic Unit for Double Clutch Transmission (J743) faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check Output Shaft Speed Sensor 1/2 (G501/G502)
    • Check Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)
  • Check/Replace Double Clutch
  • Check/Replace Mechatronic Unit for Double Clutch Transmission (J743)
Special Notes

• When found in 6-Speed Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG/02E):
    • Check Measuring Value Block (MVB) 008. The Output Shaft Speeds should align with the Input Shaft Speed during a Test Drive (Tiptronic in Gear 1/2) with the Clutch engaged.
    • According to Skoda TPI 2024152 an updated Clutch Set is available which addresses these issues.
  • When found in 2009 to 2012 Jetta, Eos, CC and 2012 Passat with DSG (02E)
    • Please see VW TSB 30-14-03, August 7, 2014 (TPI 2028714) .
    • Replacement of the " multiple clutch and cover" maybe necessary, "If the Transmission Control Module has fault code P2711 (only)".
19143/P2711/010001 - Unexpected / Implausible Mechanical Gear Disengagement: No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation

Special Notes

The last thing it said was to reset the basic settings. Mine had the code of speed sensor but it ended up being the Mechtronic unit. Kerma had on their website an updated on for $800 and the clutch service kit for about the same price. While your into it, you may want to do both so as not to pay a R&R a second time down the road. I would do the basic reset and a fluid and filter change to see if it improved. The filter is on top of the trans and the filter looks like a small roll of toilet paper.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Almost all 02E DSG control side issues will result in the need for an M-unit replacement. However, I would still check the integrity of the M-unit's connector, especially for any corrosion. Also a close check of the ground points in the engine compartment.

Janos

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Thanks a bunch joep1234 for your help. You confirmed what I was thinking, that I am in waaay over my head when it comes to these transmissions. I hear good things about replacing the DSG with a 6 speed. (This too is out of my wheelhouse but I believe it is more practical for me) I have found a local VW shop that gave me a decent quote to do the swap. I'd still have to have the computer flashed by a tuner, but if that is all and I don't have to worry about another over-complicated trans going out on me, I'm all in.

Thanks again.

Satsonic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi (BRM) - DSG Trans (02E)
Good idea on sticking with just doing the swap. But why can’t the “VW shop” program the computer using VCDS so you can be completely up and running as you leave their shop? I’d look for another shop if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janos

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Good idea on sticking with just doing the swap. But why can’t the “VW shop” program the computer using VCDS so you can be completely up and running as you leave their shop? I’d look for another shop if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was me talking. The shop I have gone to has been in biz for a long time and has a good reputation. It SHOULD be within their capabilities to make it right. I will call them and ask tomorrow.