Help needed with toyota 3.4l R150 to rwd vw

Radioflyer

TDI
Mk4 jetta
I am looking to mate a VW motor to a 3.4l R150

Need help with clutch,starter,pilot bearing.

What is my best setup for a starter using a 3.4l bell housing? This is a gasoline motor so I dont need an high torque starter.
I plan on having a later 22re flywheel drilled for vw crank if There is abetter option let me know.

If I can redrill the 22re flywheel then I plan on running the 3.4l pressure plate

Then it pilot bearing. What is everyone using for a pilot bearing?

ManicMechanic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf, 00 Golf, 02 Beetle
If I'm not mistaken you can just remove the bell housing and swap a 22r bellhousing onto it. My W58 had a 3.0 bell housing from a straight 6 and I removed it and installed a 22r bellhousing. Then just use any adapter for the 22r.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
If I'm not mistaken you can just remove the bell housing and swap a 22r bellhousing onto it. My W58 had a 3.0 bell housing from a straight 6 and I removed it and installed a 22r bellhousing. Then just use any adapter for the 22r.
OP is working with an R150 trans...totally different pattern where the bell housing bolts to the trans so a 22r.will not work with his application.

Radioflyer

TDI
Mk4 jetta
It seems like i may be better off using a 3.0l bellhousing and starter setup. It seems some have gotten the starters to work by clocking the mounting a bit on a 3.0 bell housing.

Im guessing the 3.4l bell housing mounts the starter too far out to use with the 22rte flywheel to accommodate for the larger 3.4 flywheel clutch setup.

Can anyone confirm Which v6 pressure plate bolts to the 22rte flywheel?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Can anyone confirm Which v6 pressure plate bolts to the 22rte flywheel?
5vzfe pressure plate bolts to the 22rte and late 22re 4x4 flywheel but you must machine the 9 5/16" step flat and remachine it to accommodate the 10" clutch

Sorry I was going by picture of the bell housing I found on the web and it looked similar to my bell housing on my w58.
they do look very similar :)

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
As far as pilot bushings go, you can find them on Granger’s website. I think it might be a 10 mm ID and 20 mm OD that works, but measure it.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
As far as pilot bushings go, you can find them on Granger’s website. I think it might be a 10 mm ID and 20 mm OD that works, but measure it.
it's two different bushings one pressed inside the other... 21mm OD and 12mm ID ...can't remember the exact combo but easy enough to figure out on mcmaster carr website. But Grainger may have an oilite with correct dimensions.