what is going on with prices of tdi's...

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
what on earth is going on with tdi prices these days... i'm seeing 03-06 tdi's ranging from 350,000 to 500,000+ anywhere from 3000 and up on kijiji, and some of them are in absolute garbage condition.

Hell I bought my 2003 golf tdi, in 2013 with 200,000km for 4000, and sold it at 325,000km in 2016 with a ton of mods for only 2500.

meanwhile, you can pick up a 2012-2014 jetta tdi with less then 100,000km for around 10,000-11,000

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's one thing to ask a price for a car, but I wonder what they're actually selling for. I own 5 TDIs and part of why I have a couple of them is I don't think they have much value, so I keep them.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I have no clue but I wish I could find out, some of the prices are just outright ridiculous... I'd be curious to know what a decent condition 03-06 tdi (any model) is worth. Let's say with roughly 250,000 - 300,000km or so, as I don't realistically expect to see too many with lower mileage then that

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I don't know if it's the same in Canada, but in the US an ALH or BEW will typically have at least 200-250K miles on it, and prices are anywhere from $1,200 to $4,000, typically. Wagons may be $1,000 more, they don't get the price premium they used to. Rust free cars in great cosmetic shape (sun damage is often an issue in sunbelt cars), will command more, but you honestly don't see many of those anymore.

These are not collector cars. They were inexpensive, so they rarely got the care that a BMW or Mercedes might have. And by and large people bought these cars to drive them, so they've been used.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
The price range sounds right on the lower end, but unless it's an absolutely pristine condition with all service records to a tee, I would not pay anywhere near 4000 for a 200k mile plus tdi... That's just me, especially when a mk6 goes for 10 to 12k with less then 100000km

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Hi 2.2, you need to buy my New Beetle!

I have about 15k in recent work with a larger part of that being the crazy big brakes.

I have it in CL for 11k but will probably reduce that or sell it with our little trailer as a package deal.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
I think? what's lowered the value cost on buying VW TDI's is what scares people off.. about owning a TDI Im talking about big ticket replacement costs on expensive items like.

- DPF emmision filter (delete - kit) available in my area.
- High pressure Fuel pump
- turbo charger
- timing belt replacement

Luckily I found mine was serviced at VW dealer oil changes, fuel filters, inspections, were done all there. But for the average Joe that's never owned a Diesel TDI before and buys one thinking it's just any other car where they can get it serviced at some place like iffy lube or some other quick in-out place this ain't the car for people that think like that. it won't last in the hands of people that don't understand or bother to research what a TDI Diesel maintenance needs are.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Hi 2.2, you need to buy my New Beetle!
I have about 15k in recent work with a larger part of that being the crazy big brakes.
I have it in CL for 11k but will probably reduce that or sell it with our little trailer as a package deal.
LOL good trolling :rolleyes:

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Thanks 2.2, but I am trying to show that not all TDI's are priced the same. Take mine for instance, I am single handed trying to raise the value and perception of the older TDI's but it is hard!

It doesn't help that the fuel prices (especially RUG) are dropping making the value proposition harder to justify.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Thanks 2.2, but I am trying to show that not all TDI's are priced the same. Take mine for instance, I am single handed trying to raise the value and perception of the older TDI's but it is hard!

It doesn't help that the fuel prices (especially RUG) are dropping making the value proposition harder to justify.
A 21 year old car, with high mileage, is not worth anywhere near what you're asking, doesn't matter how much time and money you've invested in the car. You're not selling a E46 BMW M3 CSL, which is currently still going up in value, because it was a limited edition M3 which is now becoming a collectors item

You're a selling an old beetle with a diesel engine and some mods. I'm sure there's someone out there who may be interested, but we're talking about an extremely niche market.

Sorry, but that's the reality

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Even an E46 M3 won't command top price with high miles. Miles are a value killer on any car, especially more expensive ones. Because there are always lower mileage ones around.

My Wagon is about as clean a TDI as you'll find, one owner, new factory long block 115K ago along with a fresh turbo, IP recently replaced, 100K mile transmission, new axles, tuned, etc. But it has 410K miles on it.it. I doubt it's worth more than $4K. But I don't care because I'm not selling.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Even an E46 M3 won't command top price with high miles. Miles are a value killer on any car, especially more expensive ones. Because there are always lower mileage ones around.

My Wagon is about as clean a TDI as you'll find, one owner, new factory long block 115K ago along with a fresh turbo, IP recently replaced, 100K mile transmission, new axles, tuned, etc. But it has 410K miles on it.it. I doubt it's worth more than $4K. But I don't care because I'm not selling.
Yup couldn't have said it better

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
A 21 year old car, with high mileage, is not worth anywhere near what you're asking, doesn't matter how much time and money you've invested in the car. You're not selling a E46 BMW M3 CSL, which is currently still going up in value, because it was a limited edition M3 which is now becoming a collectors item
You're a selling an old beetle with a diesel engine and some mods. I'm sure there's someone out there who may be interested, but we're talking about an extremely niche market.
Sorry, but that's the reality
Ya I know that it will be tough so I am heading down the part-out road or maybe if I still have too much time on my hands, a Smyth conversion;). It's those expensive brakes that are really getting in my way. Or maybe I really don't want to sell so I have priced it that way.

I can sit on it for a while longer but I hate to see it just sit. I am also considering taking the brakes out and putting some VR6 OE brakes which would really help me bring my asking price down from the clouds.

It's funny, my sister had a 2009 Jetta and VW bought it back for about 15k but now you can find these for ~6k CDN which is ~4k US. This seems super cheap but I guess the car is 10 years old which also carries a stigma as a dirty car even though it isn't.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Ya I know that it will be tough so I am heading down the part-out road or maybe if I still have too much time on my hands, a Smyth conversion;). It's those expensive brakes that are really getting in my way. Or maybe I really don't want to sell so I have priced it that way.
I can sit on it for a while longer but I hate to see it just sit. I am also considering taking the brakes out and putting some VR6 OE brakes which would really help me bring my asking price down from the clouds.
It's funny, my sister had a 2009 Jetta and VW bought it back for about 15k but now you can find these for ~6k CDN which is ~4k US. This seems super cheap but I guess the car is 10 years old which also carries a stigma as a dirty car even though it isn't.
I would definitely start ripping out stuff and returning to stock, you will definitely get most of your money back that way... vwvortex users will pick up the big brake kit easily (among-st the other goodies you have)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
As cars age, the span of potential condition varies greatly, as do the odometers. Plus, some folks will feel that spending money on the car somehow adds value, and it rarely does. Not on something this old.

They are pretty cheap around here now, so much so that I don't bother with fixing them up quickly to sell them. There are just not the people looking for them there used to be.

Cheap gasoline (but in comparison diesel is not.... right now for instance in my area diesel is about 60 cents more a gallon than regular gasoline). The forbidden fruit buyback cars available for relatively low prices and they are much newer and have a warranty (never mind they'll statistically need that warranty over and over again while an old ALH or BEW car will happily putter along without any problems).

The last two I got, a 2004 Jetta sedan and a 2005 Jetta wagon, I got for $0, in need of some work. By comparison, not long ago, even a non-running car like that would have required at least $1000 to obtain.

Which is a catch-22. Good that they can be obtained for nothing, bad that once fixed they have often no chance of getting any level of return on investment. I might break even, if I can fix them cheap enough, but gone are the days of pocketing a couple grand on one bringing it back to life.

I am surprised it is that different in Canada. However as someone has pointed out, what people are asking for them and what they are actually getting for them are two different things. The cream puff cars may get a decent amount, but those are rarely put up for sale.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
As cars age, the span of potential condition varies greatly, as do the odometers. Plus, some folks will feel that spending money on the car somehow adds value, and it rarely does. Not on something this old.
They are pretty cheap around here now, so much so that I don't bother with fixing them up quickly to sell them. There are just not the people looking for them there used to be.
Cheap gasoline (but in comparison diesel is not.... right now for instance in my area diesel is about 60 cents more a gallon than regular gasoline). The forbidden fruit buyback cars available for relatively low prices and they are much newer and have a warranty (never mind they'll statistically need that warranty over and over again while an old ALH or BEW car will happily putter along without any problems).
The last two I got, a 2004 Jetta sedan and a 2005 Jetta wagon, I got for $0, in need of some work. By comparison, not long ago, even a non-running car like that would have required at least $1000 to obtain.
Which is a catch-22. Good that they can be obtained for nothing, bad that once fixed they have often no chance of getting any level of return on investment. I might break even, if I can fix them cheap enough, but gone are the days of pocketing a couple grand on one bringing it back to life.
I am surprised it is that different in Canada. However as someone has pointed out, what people are asking for them and what they are actually getting for them are two different things. The cream puff cars may get a decent amount, but those are rarely put up for sale.
I wish I could get an older mk4 for free that's in need of attention... I haven't looked at listings in the US but I'm surprised to hear that they're worth so little there nowadays... In the last 2 weeks I saw an 06 Jetta tdi wagon, it had 254k km and the guy was asking 750... It didn't look like it needed much, and when I told the guy I'd come within the hour he refused saying some guy would be coming the next day... Needless to say it sold in an instant. I then saw a 06 Jetta tdi which looked absolutely stellar, sans the rust under the side skirt which wasn't that big a deal, 246k km, 1800 bucks certified, called the guy and said he was surprised he had that much interest... Told him I'd come that afternoon, and he never bothered answering my call, needless to say that also got sold instantly...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I think for most people it's been true for a while that buying an older TDI only makes financial sense if you have the ability to repair it yourself, or you have a trusted guru, and you plan to keep and drive the car for some time. And I agree that well maintained cars and poorly maintained ones have huge differences in cost of ownership. I've bought both, and the difference can be staggering.

I'm at the point with my MKIV cars that they are more of a hobby (or a mission) for me than any economical transportation. For reasons passing understanding I love driving them, and I don't hesitate to spend whatever I want on repairs or improvements. After all, a car I bought for $18,300 18 years and 410K miles ago really doesn't owe me anything.

And I'm way, way deeper into my '99.5 Golf than I'd ever see on a sale. But it's probably one of the better looking and driving ones out there.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Woaw... the amount of ****box mk4s I've seen in person and on kijiji (Canadian version of craigslist) recently is hilarious. I wanted to buy a decent, cheapish mk4 but doesn't look like I'll have any luck finding one. The ones that have some form of service history and aren't falling apart are around 4 to 5k...not a chance I would ever pay that kind of money for 15 plus year old car when a mk6 with less then 100km can be had for around 10k. I've been eyeing mk6 wagons and I might just end up buying a 2013-14 mk6 wagon. There are some for sale with around 110-120km which cost around 11 to 12k

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Strange, and you'd think there are MORE of them up there (diesels, anyway). But maybe not.

I have a yard full of them, thankfully. :)

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
No it's actually quite slim pickings for tdis... Currently on autotrader, there are 104 manual tdis in the entire province of Ontario, this is all available years and models...

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Ended up buying an 02 Jetta with 370k km for under 1500 bucks... Car runs and drives and needs a couple small things but most of the important stuff has been taken car of... Now this was a decent deal, hopefully I get a decent amount out of it. I barely drive these days as I work out of the country a lot so this tdi pickup was simply a want for another diesel

oilhammer

TDI
Congrats on the find. Welcome back to the diesel world. I've been a member since '88 and won't ever leave! :D

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I've got a nice A3 TDI if anyone is interested.
8k with 280km in a niche market when gas is dirt cheap... Gonna be a hard sell. I know a3 tdis are a dime a dozen, but unless you find a tdi savant who knows these cars, I don't think Jane doe would pay 8k... I'd say more like start with 5500