Nictane 2010+ Return Fuel Filter Kit

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I found what I was looking for on this.

Admin's can close this post.

?

Why not post what you've found so others can follow along in the moment, or find what they're looking for on future searches?

I myself am interested in this as an alternative to the 2Micron set up as they're nigh on impossible to find.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
+1 on that.

Details please, I've been wanting to do this upgrade to my '14 for awhile.

Edit: is there a published micron rating for the OEM fuel filter on the common rail TDIs? I keep remembering it's maybe 10 or 15 but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

-:vw:-

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 SportWagen
I made that request to close it as I was anticipating a defacto "Let me google that for you" response.

Sorry, too much time spent in the vortex forums.

In the spirit of sharing knowledge see below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPV7t1n3iYI

I am thinking of doing this AND adding a 2 micron filter on the return line using an additional Nicktane kit. However I wish he sold the filter head separately.

Even more so I wish the individual who was responsible for the 2micron kit (i.e. 2micron) would still manufacture his filter head/mount piece to make things easier on the mounting.

By the head/mount from him and source your own filters.

DONE.

Last edited:

fallingwindows

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen
FYI, I had a horrible experience with Nicktane on my Duramax filter upgrades - sent me a defective filter setup and when I returned it, said it was damaged in return shipping and refused to refund. Very rude as well; my credit card refunded 100% but I'm not sure if they just ate the charges or not.

dubsport inc

TDI
2010 CR Jetta
The one thing that worries me is that you no longer has fuel returning thru the filter that is used to preheat the fuel and stop icing/gelling... has any one got input?

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 SportWagen
Initially I am going to be using the Nicktane kit for the return flow filter. I really just bought it for it's low profile filter head. So in my case the return flow will still be going through the OEM housing.

I may or may not do a second kit and eliminate the OEM housing. Still on the fence in that regard.

Someone on here did do a Nicktane kit to replace the OEM housing and then strapped their 2 micron kit onto that will bit of modification.

P.S. It'd be nice if someone with experience in filtration manufacturing and entrepreneurial spirit made an OEM style filter that was 2 micron...

Last edited:

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
If you get a chance while you install the Nictane kit can you post some photos? Thanks :)

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
If you get a chance while you install the Nictane kit can you post some photos? Thanks :)
He posted a youtube video..pretty detailed.. great info!

90_zeros

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Darkside still offers a kit, but it's for the CP3 pump. I'm not sure what is different or if it would work at all with our CP4 pumps. It could probably be made to work if you're running custom lines.

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/2-micron-fuel-filter-kit-for-cp3-fuel-pump.html

edit: forgot to mention for anyone out there looking. Supposedly this baldwin filter is a drop in upgrade: https://www.baldwinfilters.com/port...025651dacRCRD&vgnextfmt=EN#/partDetail/PF9861

The filters are "allegedly" 1-2 micron filters with a 5 micron absolute filtration. This would be a significant upgrade over stock, if true, and I know Baldwin is well respected in the big diesel world. I haven't ordered one to try, but the part number interchanges with stock.

Last edited:

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Darkside still offers a kit, but it's for the CP3 pump. I'm not sure what is different or if it would work at all with our CP4 pumps. It could probably be made to work if you're running custom lines.

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/2-micron-fuel-filter-kit-for-cp3-fuel-pump.html

edit: forgot to mention for anyone out there looking. Supposedly this baldwin filter is a drop in upgrade: https://www.baldwinfilters.com/port...025651dacRCRD&vgnextfmt=EN#/partDetail/PF9861

The filters are "allegedly" 1-2 micron filters with a 5 micron absolute filtration. This would be a significant upgrade over stock, if true, and I know Baldwin is well respected in the big diesel world. I haven't ordered one to try, but the part number interchanges with stock.

Baldwin Filter link doesn't work :(

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
That filter head from darkside is widely available at farm supply stores, implement dealers and auto parts stores. I have the exact same one we run on our fuel transfer tank, it was lass than 20$ And we run cim-tek filters on it. Granted not the quality of a 2micron kit but it would do the job.
Definitely going to look into that Baldwin filter!

90_zeros

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
That filter head from darkside is widely available at farm supply stores, implement dealers and auto parts stores. I have the exact same one we run on our fuel transfer tank, it was lass than 20$ And we run cim-tek filters on it. Granted not the quality of a 2micron kit but it would do the job.
Definitely going to look into that Baldwin filter!
I thought the same. It's really something that can be DIYd fairly easily, but just in case someone wants a kit, just throwing Darkside out there. When everyone else stopped supporting the round port 2.0s, they continued, so I feel they deserve the link.

I just ordered one of the Baldwin filters from my local supply house. It was $32, and will be here Tuesday. I'll update with pics and more info when I get it. Like Bradm suggests, a proper canister filter setup can be built very inexpensively from TSW or the like, with a true 1 micron glass filter. Even if you want the fancy 2micron style head, any local machinist should be able to make that. The generic heads from TSW can be fitted with barb fittings to retain use of factory lines if you want.

The drop in filter element really appeals to my lazy side though ;)

Last edited:

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
Well said.
Yes, please update on the Baldwin when you get it have have a chance to install

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 SportWagen
Good stuff in here.

I'll likely be "applying" the Nicktane kit to my car this weekend as a return filter using the CimTek 2 micron.

I looked at using one of those common filter heads like Darksides to mine however by the time you get done reducing those huge (3/4" npt) inlet and outlet ports down to something useful you've eaten up valuable real estate in that already tight space.

That Baldwin looks like a winner to ensure the supply get's good filtering as well.

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 SportWagen
Got it installed as a return filter. One thing I'm finding a bit odd is that the retrun line from the HPFP and all other lines are rock hard however the line between the Nictane head and the OEM housing is softer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks good! If I didn’t have a 2micron kit I would definitely go this route

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Nice thread! I'd love to do this on my 2011 Golf but will probably wait until warranty is gone. Not giving VWoA any excuse to deny a claim if something would come up.

Thanks for the info! [emoji1474][emoji1474]

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 SportWagen
Not giving VWoA any excuse to deny a claim if something would come up.

Thanks for the info! [emoji1474][emoji1474]

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
My concern on the warranty is, they have been known to find an excuse to deny a claim anyway. IMO that just leaves you holding a larger bag of sh!t when you've taken no preventative measure and now the metal is everywhere.

To each his own though.

90_zeros

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Well said.
Yes, please update on the Baldwin when you get it have have a chance to install
I just wanted to update this thread with the Baldwin filter stuff. Ok so my local supply house never actually ordered the part. A**holes. I am at my 60k interval now and am ordering the same part from a different place now. I will update soon, I promise, regarding fitment. However, in the meantime, I reached out to baldwin regarding exact specs of the filter and this is the response I got:

"The micron rating for the PF9861 is 4 absolute. That means it is 98.7% efficient at 4 microns."

Soooo... depending on the factory micron rating, this may or may not be a drop in upgrade. For newcomers, the part number listed above is alleged to be a drop in replacement for CR140 common rails, possibly others idk and idc and im drunk rn

oktdi09

TDI
2000 jetta tdi
And what was the outcome of the Baldwin filter drop in? Should we all go buy one!

claybreaker 144

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Got it installed as a return filter. One thing I'm finding a bit odd is that the retrun line from the HPFP and all other lines are rock hard however the line between the Nictane head and the OEM housing is softer.

I know this post is over 2 years old but I want to ask how you got that second filter that low? I tried this on my 2011 JSW and the hood strut hit the top of the banjo fitting on the filter. On my car the filter sat directly on top of the AC charge port.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk