getting aftermarket steelies to not vibrate.

joodoo6

TDI
2014 jetta sportwagen
has anyone else had an issue with this? the dealer shower me that they never sit perfect but you can get them pretty close. can you run a hub centric ring with them?

cscmc1

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Ditto Face's comment -- make sure you are using the correct lug (conical vs acorn). And ring compatibility depends on how the wheel is made. Many steel wheels you can't use rings with as I recall.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Should only need rings if it's the wrong centre bore and they should sit perfect, sounds like dealer is trying to pan you off

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I have found aftermarket steels to have center bore issues. While listed as correct, they never sat snug. You could move them around slightly.

The out of tolerance was small but did create vibration. In three sets of aftermarket steels, two had center bores out of tolerance. I have a set of genuine VW steels, they mount snug on the hub.

joodoo6

TDI
2014 jetta sportwagen
I have found aftermarket steels to have center bore issues. While listed as correct, they never sat snug. You could move them around slightly.

The out of tolerance was small but did create vibration. In three sets of aftermarket steels, two had center bores out of tolerance. I have a set of genuine VW steels, they mount snug on the hub.

yes that is exactly what the dealer showed me its possible to get them to sit close enough for them to ride fairly smooth but never perfect.

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
My experience with aftermarket wheels is that they just don’t fit as well as oem and will cause vibration. Even if you get aftermarket hub rings, Still no guarantee. But make sure to get metal ones instead of plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joodoo6

TDI
2014 jetta sportwagen
My experience with aftermarket wheels is that they just don’t fit as well as oem and will cause vibration. Even if you get aftermarket hub rings, Still no guarantee. But make sure to get metal ones instead of plastic.

thanks for the info I am picking up a set of 16 inch oem audi wheels from a buddy hopefully puts an end to my vibrations

Face76

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW TDI
thanks for the info I am picking up a set of 16 inch oem audi wheels from a buddy hopefully puts an end to my vibrations
Audi wheels are available with multiple hub sizes, rings may still be needed.

As for metal vs plastic, I prefer plastic and changing them out every few years. Metal need anti-seize applied to the hub to prevent them from fusing together. An issue that you don't want to deal with on the side of the road.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

FL_BeachBum

TDI
13 JSW TDI
has anyone else had an issue with this? the dealer shower me that they never sit perfect but you can get them pretty close. can you run a hub centric ring with them?

Getting aftermarket wheels that are not hub centric to not vibrate at all is a ***** on these car... I went through 5 different balancing and trueing sessions and three sets of hub centric rings to finally get it to the point i barely felt it and they aren’t “cheap” wheels and tires. To buy aftermarket hub centric wheels is extremely costly though so I deal with it. With Steelies you’re gonna be even more hard pressed plus weight added so I’d find a set that is hub centric or that will work with rings. A lot do not. Furthermore 2 sets of plastic rings didn’t do it for me. I usually prefer them. But I had to go with metal on this one.

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
Audi wheels are available with multiple hub sizes, rings may still be needed.

As for metal vs plastic, I prefer plastic and changing them out every few years. Metal need anti-seize applied to the hub to prevent them from fusing together. An issue that you don't want to deal with on the side of the road.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Plastic hub rings only limit vibration, otoh metal ones basically mimic proper wheel fitment. But good point on the never seize, that’s a good tip.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
On a friend's car, I noticed that the metal (aluminum) centering rings still had some play - probably close to 0.5mm that you could move it around. And thus, there was speed-related vibration.

I went to the retailer that sold the rims and asked for the *real* 57.1mm centering rings...and of course, he showed me a set of rings that were already on the car. :mad:

I was able to fix it for the most part by wrapping aluminum duct-sealing tape on the inside of the centering ring. Put that on - couldn't budge the ring, couldn't budge the wheel when mounted (before tightening lugs).

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
...and no more vibration. Feels much the same as my OEM rims with my all-season tires that run the rest of the year.
(I thought that the "...able to fix it for the most part" conveyed that this was a viable solution for me with my aftermarket (Core Racing) rims - rim hub stays centered, no more play, smooooooooth ride. :D)