thermostat sensor wiring (lead)

Trail Mutant

TDI
2004 Jetta / 280,000
Have an 04 Jetta TDI, 270,000 and cannot find pics or directions on how to replace the thermostat sensor lead or wiring. Can I get help with this?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Do you mean the coolant temp sensor or thermostat?
There are directions on replacement for both here.
CTS has the wiring, thermostat doesn't.
Best way to search this site is a good search engine (tdiclub replace thermostat)
(tdiclub coolant temp sensor replace) for example

Trail Mutant

TDI
2004 Jetta / 280,000
Do you mean the coolant temp sensor or thermostat?
There are directions on replacement for both here.
CTS has the wiring, thermostat doesn't.
Best way to search this site is a good search engine (tdiclub replace thermostat)
(tdiclub coolant temp sensor replace) for example
I mean the wiring that plugs into the sensor. Is this wiring part of the entire wiring harness or can it be individually replaced. The dealer is telling me that the wires have to be individually replaced and I find this hard to believe. My engine light came on and my code reader is telling me that the temperature is below thermostat regulation temperature. I have replaced the sensor and the thermostat, but the dealer is telling me that because I did not use factory parts they cannot tell me the problem.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
VW does not sell replacement harnesses; they sell individual "repair wire" kits which consists of yellow wires a foot long or so with the factory connectors installed at both ends.

Available in the various sizes, you remove the connector(s) associated with the broken wire(s) from the factory connector, install the new connectors, and then cut the yellow wire(s) to the right lengh and splice 'em into the original harness.

4-5 bucks each, IIRC, and a terminal release tool of the proper size is pretty much mandatory to get the old terminals out.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
.............................. The dealer is telling me that the wires have to be individually replaced and I find this hard to believe. .................................
The wire harness is in like 2 pieces. Repair the individual conductors.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
VW does not sell replacement harnesses; they sell individual "repair wire" kits which consists of yellow wires a foot long or so with the factory connectors installed at both ends.
Available in the various sizes, you remove the connector(s) associated with the broken wire(s) from the factory connector, install the new connectors, and then cut the yellow wire(s) to the right lengh and splice 'em into the original harness.
4-5 bucks each, IIRC, and a terminal release tool of the proper size is pretty much mandatory to get the old terminals out.

The repair wires come in different gauges so the OP will want to make sure they know what size thickness they need.

Another option is to find that part of the harness on ebay. Maybe it's just end point and a replacement connector is all this needed, like this.