DEF fluid - hardly using any

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I just did an oil change in my '2013 Passat and filled up the ad-blue tank. My consumption of DEF fluid is less than one quart in almost 5,000 miles.

This is about the same or a bit less than what my car was using since Day 1 when I bought the car new.

I thought post-fix the DEF fluid consumption was supposed to go up. My car had the fix in 2017 and I have since seen the DEF consumption go down if anything.

Is my driving style (driving gently, light throttle, maximizing mpgs) a possible explanation?

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
I just did an oil change in my '2013 Passat and filled up the ad-blue tank. My consumption of DEF fluid is less than one quart in almost 5,000 miles.

This is about the same or a bit less than what my car was using since Day 1 when I bought the car new.

I thought post-fix the DEF fluid consumption was supposed to go up. My car had the fix in 2017 and I have since seen the DEF consumption go down if anything.

Is my driving style (driving gently, light throttle, maximizing mpgs) a possible explanation?
I'd have to agree; I've driven 12k miles in 18 months of owning a 12 Passat with the ckra motor; have yet to see an announcement of the adblue needing to be filled or checked. However I'm still one stage short of the kill-the-tdi movement fixes... if you drive somewhere to what a turbo diesel motor is meant to be operated like then you shouldn't use much of it.

Side note on this adblue topic; my Passat stinks like horrid when idling for a bit longer which clearly indicates to me the system works. I plan to remove the whole system all together at some point in the future if I decide to keep the car that is.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk