FTC Warns VW Dealers Not To Screw TDI Owners With Shady Offers

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Oh goodie! The government is protecting me once more.

It feels sooooo good to know that the FTC is watching over me and making sure no one takes advantage of me.

It's like that warm feeling on my left leg and foot I can get by urinating down my leg.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
From the FTC release:

People who own VWs that were falsely advertised as “clean diesels” have already been injured once. FTC staff will be watching closely to ensure the compensation process proceeds unsullied by deception.
And how are they (FTC staff) going to do that watching? :confused:

Mrszippy

TDI
2014 Jetta, 2014 Beetle
Interesting. I was at a dealership today for a 30,000 mi service and was told that the dealer would be deducting for condition defects when taking back TDIs.

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
VW cheats and then people are skeptical that a government organization might be trying to help them. Some will still scam, maybe a few timid scammers will go look for easier pickings.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Interesting. I was at a dealership today for a 30,000 mi service and was told that the dealer would be deducting for condition defects when taking back TDIs.
Dealer staff knows far less than the average forum participant. Last time I was at a dealer, the service writer told me it would be "no problem" to add an Adblue tank to my 2009 Jetta.

Dr. D

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
That's 100% bull. Money is coming from VW not the independent dealer network. They have no say. They're just mere parking lots.

tncrom

TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Manual (Took Buyback), 2015 TDI Passat SE Manual

It feels sooooo good to know that the FTC is watching over me and making sure no one takes advantage of me.

It's like that warm feeling on my left leg and foot I can get by urinating down my leg.
In this case though it's not you doing the urinating.

Sent from my Z955L using Tapatalk

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Lol!, got this from the Internet sales person at my selling dealership boy if Chris was still with us what would he think......:(
I've been trying to reach you about your vehicle - I have a customer that maybe interested in buying it. My manager has approved me to pay you over market value so I can get this deal done. Give me a call:

Penny Robinson

Burlington Volkswagen
4500 RT 130 S
Burlington, NJ 08016
609-534-2230

Thanks!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself

I read and re-read that first paragraph and it sure feels to me like the FTC is suggesting that they deserve full credit for the $10 billion settlement. I thought that it was the EPA. Anyway, I'm not involved in the debacle, so I should just shut up.

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
And so they should. If you have damage, door dings, or scratches that should be deducted.

And with that said, do you think on top of buying my 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium with 50k miles, they are going to pay me HALF of what I spent on the 10 year/120k mile warranty contract (which is transferable)? If they are going to nick pick the car's condition, they should pay back the customer for ANYTHING purchased at time of sale for the car, and that includes the 5 year tire/wheel warranty. So, on top of the $27k I COULD be getting back, they need to tack on another 1500 for the remainder of the car warranty and 250.00 for the rest of the tire warranty. However, I doubt this is going to happen. :mad:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Only for people who are doing early lease returns. If owners (not leasers!) are opting for the buyout, the ONLY condition is that the car has to drive under the power of the 2.0 TDI engine. There is NO mention of the condition of the vehicle otherwise.

And BOTH of these situations are explained in the consent decree documents.

And with that said, do you think on top of buying my 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium with 50k miles, they are going to pay me HALF of what I spent on the 10 year/120k mile warranty contract (which is transferable)?
For what must be the bazillionth time in these forums ... YES you can get a pro-rated refund on the unused portion of your extended warranty IF that warranty was purchased through a reputable provider. If you bought a cheap extended warranty from a fly-by-night, you're on your own. So ... contact your warranty provider.

If they are going to nick pick the car's condition, they should pay back the customer for ANYTHING purchased at time of sale for the car, and that includes the 5 year tire/wheel warranty. So, on top of the $27k I COULD be getting back, they need to tack on another 1500 for the remainder of the car warranty and 250.00 for the rest of the tire warranty. However, I doubt this is going to happen. :mad:
Once again ... you need to contact the provider for your warranty. Reputable? You should get a pro-rated refund. Fly-by-night? You're on your own.

Please do your research before ranting and complaining.

BMLO13

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagon
My 2009 JSW TDI will drive into the lot under its own power as per the agreement. Plus after market wheels, HD rear springs. Door dings and CELs included.

Read the agreement.