Top Gear: Worldwide syndication of current series vs. Top Gear America

Which would you rather see?

• Total voters

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I've been fascinated by the recent Top Gear thread taking place here... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=236590

I just wanted to start a poll to get an idea of who would like to see worldwide syndication for the current British Top Gear series vs. having an American series.

Thoughs? Opinions? Spare change? :)

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I guess we have used some of their game show ideas and have been successful with them, but have the Americanized versions of other shows gone over well here?

All of the comments I have read in that other thread seem to be spot on in my mind, but then again, I don't watch much TV.

I would say, not to even use the Top Gear name, but make it a uniquely American version, though I don't know what would work. If I knew what would work, I would have a different job. :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The BBC version is perfect just the way it is. The hosts are fantastic, they test incredible cars, and the overall format has proven to be a huge success (it's one of, if not the most pirated shows in history). If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Either leave it just as it is and syndicate it around the world, or start a new show and don't copy a single thing - be totally different with cars being the only common ground.

I voted to syndicate it world wide

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I think that a good deal of the show's success is directly attributable to those hosts and their style. While I'd like to see some non-Euro market cars reviewed, I don't think attempting to mimic it for different regions would be a good idea at all.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
The Brits have a unique way of making jest of mundane thigs. Shooting the cars launched off a cliff and dfiring mini Cooper off the 90 meter jump in Lillehammer are classics. I show them to my physics classes every year. Keep it British.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
In case someone doesn't know what "worldwide syndication" means, it means taking the current show and broadcasting it on networks all over the world.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
Agreed BBC Topgear FTW. I think a worldwide syndication would be the better and more popular/watched idea.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I like it just the way it is.... but if the Brit cast wants to come over here and film a few dozen episodes every month, it is ok with me!

Bill

VeeDubTDI

TDI
GoFaster,

There isn't an American version yet. I think it's still in the planning stages. There was an Australian version that was awful. They tried to copy the BBC version and it failed miserably.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The masses have spoken!

92% of the WORLD prefers the BBC version of Top Gear! :eek:

(said in true Jeremy Clarkson style)

Keep the votes coming, folks. :cool:

Russnut

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
We don't have enough cool cars in the states. As entertaining as it would be to see the North American version of the Stig, it just wouldnt be that interesting to see him in a Pontiac Vibe.

Beardrick

TDI
2009 Platinum/Anthracite Jetta wagon
It would be like a North American Monty Python. Weird, and not as good!

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
I'd stick w/ the British version.

They don't pull any punches if they like/don't like something.
Not that I agree w/ everything Jeremy Clarkson says, but it does make me think. :)

This can really rankle fragile American opinions. Even the general support of diesels by Top Gear pissed off people on THIS website! (Why? The dig about Americans' knowledge of stuff outside the U.S.) http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=241012

A politically correct version would just not be... Top Gear!

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
TurbinePower said:
I think that a good deal of the show's success is directly attributable to those hosts and their style. While I'd like to see some non-Euro market cars reviewed, I don't think attempting to mimic it for different regions would be a good idea at all.
Well, that and being largely immune from the need for advertsing. NO US car show is going to call the Ford F-150 "complete rubbish".

Now, what they don't appreciate is one man's sloppy steering is another man's "flexible inputs", but they did tend to rag on the fit and finish quite a bit....not that a truck SHOULD have tight fit and finish, it is a truck designed to do truck things. Its not a Mercedes McLaren.

OTOH, TG HAS introduced me to cars I never knew existed...it does make it rather glaringly obvious what a moto-backwater the Colonies are.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I was watching Top Gear Australia the other day and I had to turn it off after 20 minutes. Talk about painful. :(

Jeece

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5 TDI
TurbinePower said:
I feel the same way. But I don't think the hosts would really like any N-A market vehicles. :D

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
Just want the current version from England. As stated the Australian version was awful because it tried too hard to be like the original show.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
TDIfor said:
Well, that and being largely immune from the need for advertsing. NO US car show is going to call the Ford F-150 "complete rubbish".

Now, what they don't appreciate is one man's sloppy steering is another man's "flexible inputs", but they did tend to rag on the fit and finish quite a bit....not that a truck SHOULD have tight fit and finish, it is a truck designed to do truck things. Its not a Mercedes McLaren.

OTOH, TG HAS introduced me to cars I never knew existed...it does make it rather glaringly obvious what a moto-backwater the Colonies are.
Regarding the F-150 Lightning review that JC did, it is worth noting that the RHD conversion contributed GREATLY to his impressions of the vehicle. The interior of that thing looked horrid compared to a stock LHD version here in the US. I'm not sure how they changed the steering linkages, but I suspect that the RHD conversion could have affected that as well.

Then you have the Clarkson factor as well...aka the BS factor. BS is entertaining.

Regarding the Aussie version...I agree. I managed to sit through half an episode of the first series, and the first episode of the second series. I was hoping it would tide me over for a couple more weeks until real Top Gear comes back...no...ain't gonna do it. I can't stand it.

If we ever get a U.S. version, I hope they will try to be innovative and not try to copy the original. All I know is...thank goodness Hessmo exists so we can get full and unedited episodes.

flatopete

TDI
Sadly, only a 7.3 liter Powerstroke
I catch Top Gear on BBC America via Dish Network. Am I crazy, or are these episodes shortened from the UK version? I've only seen it a few times in the UK and really can't compare the two.

I am unable to watch full episodes via Top Gear's UK website.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
There are not enough uniquely American cars to make doing an American version of the show worthwhile. They would end up doing episodes on European and Asian cars that we will never get in North America. Or they would be forced to lie to us and tell us that the cars everyone can buy here are not total crap.

Demon_Beetle

TDI
98 NB TDI,04 Golf TDI,15 Golf TDI
I agree that there are not enough American cars to warrant a US version of The Highly Acclaimed TOP GEAR. The personalities are the main course and and cars are the dessert. I do wish that more American cars were compared on TOP GEAR. It might would embarrass The Big Three into building better vehicles. I would like to also see some of the econo's from far east Asia.

If we were to have a US version, who would be candidates for hosting it?

Tim Allen, an obvious car guy and nut.
Jay Leno has the car knowledge but I think he is TOOOOO serious of a car guy. Then again a serious guy wouldn't be bad either for balance.

A ringer like Martin Lawrence. A novice nut. Comedy and an automotive everyday guy.

Just about anyone from Spike's POWER BLOCK TV. They would give it an American Country, cowboy flare.

Dave Bowman or Sam Memmolo from Two Guys Garage

Who could possibly support a show like this.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
So what ever happened with our Top Gear America friend who built the Rabbit TDI? Haven't heard from him in a while. :confused:

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI , 2006 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
WE DON'T NEED AN AMERICAN TOP GEAR !
Top Gear is perfect the way it is, purely European. Does not need into get into North America, otherwise the shows main attraction might get tarnished. Not everything in this world needs to be Americanized.
We will start seeing, hot rods, trucks, and other North American 'stuff', which has already have shows out there. I used to watch TLC alot, and their car shows, soon they started focusing on hot rods and American made motorcycles which i hated. leave Top Gear the way it is !

Last edited:

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
Demon_Beetle said:
I agree that there are not enough American cars to warrant a US version of The Highly Acclaimed TOP GEAR. The personalities are the main course and and cars are the dessert. I do wish that more American cars were compared on TOP GEAR. It might would embarrass The Big Three into building better vehicles. I would like to also see some of the econo's from far east Asia.

If we were to have a US version, who would be candidates for hosting it?

Tim Allen, an obvious car guy and nut.
Jay Leno has the car knowledge but I think he is TOOOOO serious of a car guy. Then again a serious guy wouldn't be bad either for balance.

A ringer like Martin Lawrence. A novice nut. Comedy and an automotive everyday guy.

Just about anyone from Spike's POWER BLOCK TV. They would give it an American Country, cowboy flare.

Dave Bowman or Sam Memmolo from Two Guys Garage

Who could possibly support a show like this.
The is enough trash on the various satellite/cable networks, an American version of Top Gear would be by default better than half the other programming. Even if it sucked in comparison to the BBC version of Top Gear, it would be way better than anything on the Bravo Channel.

That said, I have some recommendations for hosts:

I like Jay Leno, and he would add some real star power. They could do an entire season just on what he has in his own garage.

Tim Allen and Martin Lawrence would both work, as would anyone whose career is flagging a bit (ie. needs a job), and is a bit of a car nut/can handle him or herself behind the wheel. I've read other forums that suggest Jerry Seinfeld, who has a fine Porsche collection, might be a candidate, but I have real doubts that he would even want to do it.

I'm sure it would be easy to find a retired NASCAR guy to be the Stig.

The role of reasonably priced car could be played by a Ford Focus.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
A retired NASCAR guy to be the Stig? :eek: Will the Top Gear America test track be a circle track? ;)