tie rod ends

carlisle

Veteran Member
TDI
Two '98 Beetles, one '03 Jetta (ALH), and one '98 Jetta (AHU)
Can't get mine off. Undo the nut on the bottom, where the steering linkage attaches, and it only comes off half way before the bolt starts to spin. No way to put coutertorque on it with the head of the bolt up in the sealed tie rod end. The nut is the locking type and is very tight on the threads so I can't get it to spin off, even with an impact hammer. What am I doing wrong?

Chris
'98 TDI Beetle
Sioux Falls, SD

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
I have the same problem. I understand from The experts at Shine Racing Suspensions is you have to heat the bolt end with a tourch. There is Loctite in there that has to be melted..... It then comes off easily. I have seen it done from afar but never tried to do it myself. HTH

Karmann-diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
That bolt that is spinning should have a torx hole on the bottom side of it. You can put a torx bit in to counter hold it while you try to spin the nut off.

I was doing this last weekend & mangled the torx hole. So I switched to a die grinder with a metal cut off wheel & cut it off just above the nut. That did it.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
This post has shown up with perfect timing. I'll let you know if it works for me when I swap mine out hopefully on monday!

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Use a pair channel lock pliers and squeeze the end into the taper while using the impact.

carlisle

Veteran Member
TDI
Two '98 Beetles, one '03 Jetta (ALH), and one '98 Jetta (AHU)
Finally got it. Just put the impact wrench on it and sort of pulled it over obliquely in it's hole so the shaft of the bolt was wedged against and pulled the trigger.

Chris