2013 TDI Sportwagen DSG Transmission ?

Oakcutter

TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
Hi all, just had the DMF changed out under warranty as I picked up on the sound and called them on it 500 miles 1 week into ownership. They fixed it and all seems well. They do not have service records so they say, and I am wondering if I should do the DSG service as who knows if it was done at 40k. Its got 65k on it and seems to shift well and downshift great. All very smoothly. The next fluid and filter is recommended at 80k. Well, overthinking or just do it and know where I stand. The tranny was out and I asked to at least filter it and of course they didn't. They said next service was 80k , yet they don't know about the 40k. Thanks. I am liking this car so far as my last TDI was a 2001, 1.9. They wanted 465$ for that service, wow.

Oakcutter

TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
2013 TDI Sportwagon

Thanks pebjr, i ordered some opti-lube xpd from them and saw that 40k kit with fluid. good deal and i will do it soon for sure. sounds simple and I did read somewhere that the filter should be removed before the fluid is drained or filter contaminates go back in the tranny. Thanks, lots of good info on here.

Oakcutter

TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
Ok, I have read and watched the videos on you tube. I do have mechanical skills and all seems straight fwd to do this DSG fluid and filter change. My first step though as the dealer won't tell me if it's been done or not is call VOA with my VIN and see if this buy back TDI has a service record. My dealer experience has not been so great. The service shop did the DMF and that seems good, no noise on cold starts and car is running great. As I said , I asked them to filter it when out but they did not. Couldn't of hurt in my opinion, oh well. So, if this VW was a lease Vehicle which the car check says it was wouldn't there have to be the scheduled maintenance throughout the lease? It has 66k on it now. another ? is how critical is getting the DSG fluid to the exact temp to do the final step which is get rid of excess fluid and put the main plug in. Can you put 4.5 liters in warm the tranny up to touch, cycle the transmission, drain and call it. Seems not to be an exact process. I would be using the gravity funnel method most likely. Thanks for all the great info on here. Oh, sure is different than my Mack Log Truck , 35 QTS of 15-40. Thats a 200$ oil change. LOL.

Oakcutter

TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
2013 TDI Sportwagon

Well , thats a wrap on that. Had a spare key fob programmed yesterday as I am thinking an expensive spare key would be nice and got the DSG service done while there for just over 400$. I insisted that I see the filter that came out, oh do they love me. I made some calls to the dealer that sold the car and they did not show a 40k service on the DSG and the filter I saw definitely needed change out. The technician did say that the fluid still looked good and while looking good can mean nothing sometimes I did not see anything scary on the filter. I really wanted to do this but am really busy at current with storm damage here in Central , Mass. I need to buy the Ross Tech tool which is on the list to make this car complete so diagnostic might happen in my driveway. thanks , great site.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That $400 price tag is scary! I bought up peoples unused trans kits back when everyone was turning their cars back in to VW for $20 or so a kit. I have about 8 on hand right now. Doing it myself is a no brainer at that cost.

Most have said the fluid always looks unused when it comes out. Get VCDS from RossTech and save yourself some money from having to go to the dealer just to find out things and help with servicing the car. Worth it! Good luck!

Oakcutter

TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
2013 TDI Sportwagon

That $400 price tag is scary! I bought up peoples unused trans kits back when everyone was turning their cars back in to VW for $20 or so a kit. I have about 8 on hand right now. Doing it myself is a no brainer at that cost.

Most have said the fluid always looks unused when it comes out. Get VCDS from RossTech and save yourself some money from having to go to the dealer just to find out things and help with servicing the car. Worth it! Good luck!
I plan on it. I do all my wrench turning on my equipment and have for years as I was a mechanic in the navy. I will now know when the DSG was done and filter it in 20k before the next 40k change out. The VCDS tool is a must as yes the dealer sure gets pricy. I am just to busy to do much wrench turning right now unless its a failure on my work equipment. I was tempted to just wing it with an infra red heat gun and call it close enough but was at the dealer and just went for it. Great site here. Loving the info. I will at some point tell my story about my first TDI I was given do to a hole in the oil pan and a tight motor. Oh, I also had a VW pick up many moons ago for my Saturday driver to my local recycling center. I grew up with Bugs and Dasher Wagons in my family.