Axle Replacement F/R

weluvlife

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI White
Hello,

I've searched this site and not found any specifics on replacing the front right axle on a 2003 TDI Jetta Sedan 5 speed.

Do I need any special tools? Is it obvious on what to remove/disassemble?

I've replaced these before on my Honda Civic, without too much trouble.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
You do need a 8 MM tripple square bit for the drive axle bolts. You also need a socket for the big 12-point drive axle nut you see on the hub. I forget its size. You MUST replace this nut, though.

--Nate

charlie75

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf; 2000 New Beetle (Gone)
When I rebuilt my front CV joint, I needed a ten foot "cheater" bar (ten foot, 1" pipe) to get the wheel nut off! The re-torquing procedure was truly amazing, a three-four step process from what I recall.

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
weluvlife said:
Hello,

I've searched this site and not found any specifics on replacing the front right axle on a 2003 TDI Jetta Sedan 5 speed.

Do I need any special tools? Is it obvious on what to remove/disassemble?

I've replaced these before on my Honda Civic, without too much trouble.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
I believe the hub nut is 30mm. Ideally you should use a hub puller as the shaft can be stuck in the hub. Also the lower ball joint can be tricky to get out. If I were you I would factor in a new one as they are not expensive.

The most important tool is the one Nate mentions above, the 12 point spline tool. Mine was a 10mm bit however it is a PD150 so it probably has a beefier drive shaft. Yours should be 8mm.

I have seen some articles on replacing drive shafts on the forum with photos. Try searching under CV joint.