Loud knock, lack of power, hard to start, black smoke

BigChief

TDI
2005 Gen5 Jetta
I came back from a four hour trip yesterday and everything was fine. I went out and started the car (2005 VW Jetta TDI Gen V engine code BRM 208,000 miles) and it started right up but there was a very loud and continuous engine knock or miss coming from the engine. I pulled out of the driveway and back in and the knock continued. It also lacked power. I turned the engine off and checked the oil. It was low but still on the bottom of the dipstick. I add about a half quart of oil. It has never burnt oil in the past. It was hard to restart the engine. It started and continued to knock. There is also little puffs of black smoke that are coming out of the exhaust pipe at idle. It is not a giant cloud of black smoke but the smoke can be seen clearly coming out of the tail pipe. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Camshaft?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They will run reasonably well (or at least, you think they do because the loss is so gradual) until that first lifter punches through and you lose a cylinder.

I'd pull the valve cover off and check the cam/lifters.

JETaah

TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
I replaced it less than 40K ago but it is easy enough to check. I will take a look.
With what?
Link to the kit?
For the crap version of these kits, 40K sounds about right.

BigChief

TDI
2005 Gen5 Jetta
My problem is my valve is stuck down on the first cylinder. I have tried hitting it, pumping air into it, etc and it doesn't move. I am removing the head. Do I remove the turbo, the turbo and the intake, disconnect it from the exhaust and pull everything? What is the best way to proceed. I have everything disconnected from the front and sides but I can not see the part of the engine where the intake is located and am not sure how to proceed. Advice and guidance would be appreciated.

JETaah

TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
If you have the means (cherry picker or a second person) to lift the head out of there without removing the turbo/intake that may save some grief.
I've done that before on ALHs and 1Zs ...can't remember if I have done it on a BRM but I can't see why not.
I am pretty sure that @Franko6 has done this but you might contact him and ask for tips.