2006 jetta tdi loss power acceleration issues videos attached

justinj229

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS

somedevildawg

TDI
I wanted to add to this post as we performed most if the work to this car. We purchased the car with 195k miles....unknown service records but a one owner, no bad carfax, very clean car. Advertised with no known problems. Because this vehicle belongs to my son and he lives 180 miles away, we thought we would "fix" the known issues with these cars...I also own a 05.5.

Probably not surprising, the car did have issues.....for one thing, we just about didn't get it off the transport truck, seems the transport company traveled thru a serious storm on the east coast and for whatever reason, nothing worked....error codes galore, car wouldn't stay running, transmission was acting weird.....all kinds of weird stuff going on....let the car sit in the trucks top parking lot for a couple of sunny days, cranked up and ran on day two, by day three I cranked the car up and drove it home with no error messages....I did notice a decent amount of black smoke under acceleration, but nothing alarming. Everything seemed to be ok...drove the car for about 250 miles and it ran perfectly....a/c didn't work but that's a whole nother story.....ordered timing belt, camshaft kit from bora, also ordered new dmf as the old one was rattling at idle, dsg fluid/filter, Gibbs break in oil, moly oil, etc.
timing belt and camshaft went smoothly as we had already done the 05.5 after a failed camshaft @150k, camshaft had limited life left and tappits were worn as well, a couple very worn....egr was completely clogged, don't know how I wasn't gettin error codes, but be that as it may....we removed the egr and cleaned it throughly, removed intake and cleaned throughly, and removed head to do a visual inspection of the cylinders...all was good. Replaced head gasket with proper 2 hole gasket as per factory....reinstalled head, camshaft TB, tappits, water pump, turbo, intake, etc.
Removed dsg and replaced dmf, reinstalled and changed fluid and filters...went purty smooth although a pita if ya ain't never done one....locktite on all bolts upon re installation of components.
Don't thnk it has anything to do with it but also replaced all discs and installed new pads...also replaced all a/c components with new components including a dealer item only high pressure line....grrr

After overhaul, my son picked it up, I only drive it about 100 miles and changed oil to moly, and drove it home. He as well as I, noticed that 1st gear was sluggish upon acceleration, when I say sluggish it just doesn't seem to shift at the correct point and is slow getting going.....once you reach cruise, actually about 3rd gear...the car seems fairly responsive, able to accelerate decently. Although perhaps not as responsive as it should be...acceptable. Upon taking the car to a fella that was recommended, he first checked the dsg....said the oil was black...shouldn't be black (dark)....may have a problem with the dsg....he changes the fluid and filter again....no change....also has a error for the maf but he concludes that the tranny is to blame. We buy a tranny out of a wreck with 60k miles, car runs and tranny shifts good....pay 2700 for the tranny installed....drive it home....no different :(. My son then replaced the maf and it didn't change a thing. Took it to another import Indy and left it for a few days, guys are purty good, have a vag.....they gave up after 3 days....no error messages.....nothing, just pooR acceleration and erratic shift patterns in 1-2...
Their suggestion was to take it to the dealership...:eek::eek:
While it was at this last Indy, I told them to check the vacuum lines good....the reason, was because when we did the exact same procedure on my 05.5, we didn't get the lines on correctly, maybe were flip flopped, think there were only two, or we had installed a check valve backasswards, can't remember, but I do know I had no boost and no power and plenty of black smoke and couldn't get above 60mph....once we figured what was wrong all was good (it's a 5speed manual) The Indy said they checked them and could find nothing at all wrong....I remember I had a heck of a time finding the vacuum diagram and it seems like a member on this site sent me the diagram.... Anyway, the videos that my son took are in the above post. I'm not sure if the turbo is working correctly or not....he said he doesn't hear/feel it like his old 04 tdi....
Thanks guys or any help....
I need some help guys.....everything they check with the vagcom was good, timing was right on....no errors....wth is going on?:confused: running out of money.....

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Did you check the large vacuum hose from the tandem pump to the power steering booster? It could have a hair line crack.