Broken teeth on big fifth small gear

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
I will post a picture when I remember how. Can I put in two new gears? Flush it? And then good to go?

Besides the teeth laying around, there it's also a roundish wire that popped out?

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon

How is that for carnage? At least the splines are good?

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
The "roundish wire" holds the tabs in place on the selector hub.
Yep, need a new fifth gear set.
I have all that, but for a 1.8. The gearing would be slightly different (lower, which isn't what you want).

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
I appreciate ya but I already have the gears on hand. I ordered slightly taller diesel gears assuming the splines were bad.

Seems the fluid was low low low!

Looking at other threads the wire looks easy enough. No other threads on these gears missing teeth? I probably just can't find them?

I will button it up tomorrow morning with some cheaper 75w90. Drive 150 miles to steamboat, flush it one more time. Hopefully I can find a new needle bearing. Then put in the g70.

Last edited:

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
I appreciate ya but I already have the gears on hand. I ordered slightly taller diesel gears assuming the splines were bad.

Seems the fluid was low low low!

Looking at other threads the wire looks easy enough. No other threads on these gears missing teeth? I probably just can't find them?

I will button it up tomorrow morning with some cheaper 75w90. Drive 150 miles to steamboat, flush it one more time. Hopefully I can find a new needle bearing. Then put in the g70.
Before you put it all together, do the "5th gear oil mod"

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291543

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
That is good advice. When Scott_DeWitt put in my clutch and lsd he also did that mod.

Last edited: