cam follower replacement

ewenmaclean

Veteran Member
TDI
T25 with 1.9 AHU
Hello,

I am going to change my cam followers on my AHU engine - I read in some places that it's a good idea to change the cam too. There's loads of good information on the forums which I've read, but I thought I'd just post here to clarify.

I'd appreciate any advice on whether people think it is necessary to change the cam also, and whether there's anything else I should check while I'm there - e.g. how to check the valve seals and guides for wear etc...

Many thanks in advance

Ewen

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Just ran across this thread, about three months late...

Cam and lifters wear in together and wear out together. If, for example, you have lifters that have the typical wear lines or 'bow ties' worn into the surface of the lifter, and you replace only the lifters, The new lifters will wear out identically as the replaced lifters; same locations. This can happen in as few as 1,000 miles.

In your typical case, the cam is as worn as the lifters, but it is not as visible. The cam should be flat across the peak of the lobe. The cam followers should have a .0005" rise in the center of the lifter face. The tendency of the cam is to wear at the point where the cam spins and depresses the cam follower and that makes the the lifters spin appropriately. When the cam wears, it wears the cam, which, in turn, makes the lifters wear out.

Bottom line, when you have worn cam followers, you also have a worn cam. Replace both cam and lifters as a set.

We provide these parts and other upgrade parts for those interested.