2012-2013 intercooler icing issue

jaxkxx

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5 TDI
Was this issue corrected by VW for 2012-2013 models Sportwagens?

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
His 2006 Jetta TDI DSG. Hers 2016 Touareg TDI 2013 Golf TDI DSG Buyback
When I was in for my 20k service back at the end of June I asked the tech. He told me my 2012 Golf was updated and did not need the upgrade/repair kit. So, so far one no and one yes. I hope this helped.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
When I was in for my 20k service back at the end of June I asked the tech. He told me my 2012 Golf was updated and did not need the upgrade/repair kit. So, so far one no and one yes. I hope this helped.
I have heard the 2012's are upgraded also but I've not seen any confirmation of that.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Would be nice to know, especially since in the winter I'm in prime territory for it...tends to freeze overnight night and then be in 30s in the morning.

Bugdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI 6M
When I asked for this for my 2010 JSW I was told it was only performed when a vehicle showed signs of freezing up and/or the owner reported having the problem (ie not a mandatory recall). True?

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
When I asked for this for my 2010 JSW I was told it was only performed when a vehicle showed signs of freezing up and/or the owner reported having the problem (ie not a mandatory recall). True?
That is what I was told when I went in for my 10k service. I'll ask again at the 30k.

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
That is what I was told when I went in for my 10k service. I'll ask again at the 30k.
Who you gonna ask? The same people (company) who told me my DSG was lifetime fill? Or the service people who told me that 507 oil is a VW money making gimmick and 505 oil is equal in protection and no issue to DPF. Or the service manager who told me that HPFP failures are due to biodiesel use in America. Oh and they told me intercooler problems were an internet myth.

Yes. I am a man in search of a new dealer

Last edited:

VW Petrolero

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 Golf SW 1.8 TSI
2012 needs Intercooler update

I have a 2012 Golf TDI SW delivered at the end of May 2012 and didn't have the updated Intercooler,they told me that before they do anything the car has got to have the problem,this was a dealer and VW Canada said is the dealer that decides who get the Intercooler replacement.
So wait for the frozen Intercooler ,hopefully during the Warranty period.
Good Luck to all of us

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Man, the two scariest moments in my TDI ownership came this winter when my engine slugged some water on start-up. Felt like my car was a mix master with me as the ingredients. At least I knew what the heck was causing it.

I reported the problem at my 20K. That's when I was told intercooler issue was a flamer hoax. Gave them the TSB numbler and they claimed they didn't have time to look it up (seriously). I wonder what they will say when they inquire why I didn't show up for my 30K. Darn, might mean they'll stop paying for my Das Auto subscription.

Last edited:

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon Tdi, 2010 Golf TDI
are there people out there that have not had iceing issues in the winter? we have a 2010 TDi Golf that will be our first winter with. She has 95k on her now.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
I have a 2012 Golf and do not have a garage. I had it all winter and no issues, but the 2011-2012 winter in CT was a very mild one.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
are there people out there that have not had iceing issues in the winter? we have a 2010 TDi Golf that will be our first winter with. She has 95k on her now.
I didn't last year. My car was new though so that isn't saying anything yet as there wasn't many miles to have built up anything.

We will see this winter.

csandGOLF

TDI
2011 Golf TDI Manual
As far as I can tell, VW has not eliminated the intercooler icing problem on the 2012 Jettas, Golfs and Sportwagens. The Passat has a different intercooler design that does not have this issue. I drive a 2011 Golf TDI and did run into intercooler icing problems last winter. Like a previous poster mentioned, mine apparently ingested some water upon startup and scared me half to death on two occasions (extremely rough running, loss of power.) Despite my telling my VW dealer about this, they would do nothing. It wasn't until my 10,000 mile service that they found water "on both sides of the intercooler" and decided my car should get the cold weather intercooler kit. It wasn't for another 4 months (!) that they were able to get the appropriate parts from VW and install the kit on my car. I'm hoping that this issue will not resurface this winter now that I finally have the kit installed. Otherwise, no issues.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
I bought my JSW just before Christmas last year and we've had zero problems with it, well, other than the noisy sunroof that is.

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
Who you gonna ask? The same people (company) who told me my DSG was lifetime fill? Or the service people who told me that 507 oil is a VW money making gimmick and 505 oil is equal in protection and no issue to DPF. Or the service manager who told me that HPFP failures are due to biodiesel use in America. Oh and they told me intercooler problems were an internet myth.
Yes. I am a man in search of a new dealer
This would be funny if it wasn't true. But it is true and it's still funny! I don't know who to ask any more. I've been told "we can't do anything until we see it, and your car has the updated intercooler you don't need the kit." It's too bad the car didn't cost me $25 instead of $25,000. I still like it and hope it treats me well. (Was that the kiss of Death, hope not):)

DEM

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2010 - dumped it for Golf R
I've been told "we can't do anything until we see it
That's the part that I don't understand (and I was told the same by VW Canada). The cars are all the same by design, so why do they have to see you stuck before they will admit that your car has the same problem as all other cars?

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
That's the part that I don't understand (and I was told the same by VW Canada). The cars are all the same by design, so why do they have to see you stuck before they will admit that your car has the same problem as all other cars?
Same was relayed to me by my dealership. I must have a no start condition before they will even consider the kit.

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
This would be funny if it wasn't true. But it is true and it's still funny! I don't know who to ask any more. I've been told "we can't do anything until we see it, and your car has the updated intercooler you don't need the kit." It's too bad the car didn't cost me $25 instead of $25,000. I still like it and hope it treats me well. (Was that the kiss of Death, hope not):)
Oh, my absolute favorite. My steering wheel is slightly off to the right, but car tracks straight. "you should just live with it. If we start messing with it, probably only make it worse." It was such a great answer I couldn't argue with it. I'm trying a new dealer next week for my 30k. I hope I'm not so entertained this time. I might even try the steering wheel repair request again and see if the keep a new customer tactic works.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lspeed1983

TDI
2012 golf tdi 6M 3dr (base)
The dealer told me the 2012s had the new kits...................come to think about it, my Navy recruiter told me lies to.

All about geting you to sign your life away.

Paulsevans

TDI
2013 golf
2013 Golf frozen intercooler

Well, I just fell victim to the freezing intercooler issue on my new golf. Car lost power on the interstate requiring tow. Dealer will install the cold kit. Question

Will this fix the car?
How does the new intercooler work?
Will this kit ruin my fuel Economy or power?

I am located in NE Ohio.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Well, I just fell victim to the freezing intercooler issue on my new golf. Car lost power on the interstate requiring tow. Dealer will install the cold kit. Question

Will this fix the car?
How does the new intercooler work?
Will this kit ruin my fuel Economy or power?

I am located in NE Ohio.
Not for sure - many people are still experiencing problems with the kit.

There is detailed information about the kit and how it works in the first post of this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=302863

My understanding of the new intercooler's operation is there is a vacuum actuated (based on intake air temperature) flap valve that either allows air to go through the entire intercooler (normal mode) or only through a small portion of the intercooler (cold weather operation). The idea being that the smaller portion will not allow water to condense within the intercooler as easily as the entire thing due to less cooling efficiency.

Your fuel economy should be unaffected, but at least one person has reported lower numbers after the kit was installed.

Last edited:

drshaws

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT
I am having the new intercooler kit installed, hopefully tomorrow. Looks like even though we have a 2014 JSW (~29K miles), this issue persists. Bah.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Mine iced up twice and had to be towed....the first time they installed the revised kit. The second time was a year later and they just drained the water and called it good.

I have since done a dpf/egr delete and stg2 tune....I guess I'll find out this winter if it still freezes up, but I'm also running a lower grille block this year.

woodenboatman19

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Jetta 2010 TDI 125,000 miles. 6sp Manual.

Had the new intercooler kit installed last winter (2014). $1300. VW paid $950 of it after "serious" negotiation due to mileage....better than zero I guess.

Car's been fine with the kit all summer. No change in mileage or performance. Slightly more intake noise. No big deal.

(1-13-2016) Was 12°F this morning in Northern Michigan. 23 mile commute to work and she started to do the freeze up again. Bucking under acceleration. Idles OK. Today have her parked inside a heated building so I can get her home. Will call dealer to drain the charge air pipe Friday.

Between this and the damned EPA's emissions debacle, I'm about ready to give up on diesel. Its too bad too. My 02 TDI (5 sp) went 250,000 trouble-free miles. Normal maintenance and a clutch at 165k. Should have kept that car.