Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

Steve Ferrous

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2011 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI (gone), 2000 Jetta TDI (gone), 1991 Diesel Jetta (gone)
The calculator had been disabled to let us know where the next decrease in $$ occurs.
I've seen this mentioned a few times but I don't understand; I thought the value of the buyback is calculated as of Sept 2015?

Does it only decrease if you exceed a certain number of kms a month?

Derek_88

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6spd
Makes total sense. I believe you will have to book your appointment by Sept 2018 with a return in Dec 2018 at the latest.
Thanks for this information! Yeah, at $18,300 the offer is pretty good, i could get a newer car with less miles on it for that, but i’m not seeing anything that’s as compact, fun, and economical for commuting as the TDI.
So then, i will sign and upload the offer in order to ‘accept’ it… but can book an appointment anytime before Sept 2018. That gives me time to ponder a replacement!

vinny6737TDI

TDI
13PassatTDI HighLine
I've seen this mentioned a few times but I don't understand; I thought the value of the buyback is calculated as of Sept 2015?

Does it only decrease if you exceed a certain number of kms a month?
There are set KM waypoints established(by VW)where the price decreases by several hundred dollars as you hit each waypoint

Torqlvr

TDI
2012 Passat
So, if i've received my buy back offer letter (just received) how long can i take before acting on the offer? June 2018?
Basically i’d like to drive the car as long as i can before turning it in. I realize putting more kms on the car will lower the offer (i’m not sure by how much though?)
I bought my Golf TDI for commuting, and it’s been ideal, and i love driving it. Can’t seem to find anything that compares, so figure i’d just keep it as long as i can. It's got 178,000kms on it.
Is anyone else thinking of this approach? Does it make any sense?
Fyi
Unless you already took the hit on the timing belt change, it's a $1200 service charge coming due by 180k

richyrich

TDI
2014 Touareg, 2015 Sportwagon (gone to the big emissions-lot in the sky)
Hey Rich,
Great question, as I'm doing the early lease termination also. I got an email this morning asking for patience while they review the documents, that was at 9:30 am. This evening, around 8:59 pm get another email telling me they're reviewing my documents to determine my eligibility to participate in the 2.0l TDI program......does someone actually type and send these messages? Absolutely ridiculous ...
Re: protection package, the dealer called me today chasing the "hot lead" of me booking my appointment and maybe needing a replacement. I guess it didn't occur to them I might have thought of options before now, including speaking to their disinterested salesmen a couple of weeks ago before giving up on VW!

Anyways, on protection package, he said I need to call VW.

Last edited:

Derek_88

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6spd
Fyi
Unless you already took the hit on the timing belt change, it's a $1200 service charge coming due by 180k
Yes, the timing belt question. it is due… i was hoping to push my luck with that one… if i waited until summer 2018 i’d have about 215k on it. That's probably too risky, eh? This why i'm in a bit of a quandary.

PTH

TDI
2010 Golf TDI, DSG, Shark Blue, Build Date: 3/2010
So, if i've received my buy back offer letter (just received) how long can i take before acting on the offer? June 2018?
Basically i’d like to drive the car as long as i can before turning it in. I realize putting more kms on the car will lower the offer (i’m not sure by how much though?)
I bought my Golf TDI for commuting, and it’s been ideal, and i love driving it. Can’t seem to find anything that compares, so figure i’d just keep it as long as i can. It's got 178,000kms on it.
Is anyone else thinking of this approach? Does it make any sense?
I also received my buy-back offer. I'm probably going to wait several months before signing it and sending it back. I want to keep driving my 2010 Golf (146,000 km) at least until the 2018 model year vehicles appear (VW or otherwise). There's no rush as far as I can see, and the buy-back value won't change for me unless I suddenly start driving 2 or 3 times as far each month for the next year or so. If I accept, sign, and return the offer right away, I'm not sure how easy it will be to keep things on hold. It seems there's no fast-approaching deadline that I need to worry about if I simply keep the offer in my back pocket.

aciduzzu

TDI
Registered Apr. 28th specifying my local VW dealer, as I was planning to do a buyback - did not submit the documents, though.
On May 6th I put a deposit on a 2017 Jetta at a different dealership (as the local did not answer my call). I logged in to update the new dealership, but their software was not flexible enough. Called Rice Point to ask them to update the dealer. The CSR told me that the only option was to cancel my registration and then start it all over - I knew that this would put me at the end of the queue, but it was presented to me as the only choice I had. Registered again and submitted all documents. Got the green checkmarks on May 11th. Called RicePoint on May 13th. The CSR told me that the documents had been accepted and the offer letter was drafted, all it needed was to be approved. On May 18th I called again. The CSR could not see my offer letter anymore. She said that she had no idea why I wasn't approved, yet. She escalated it to her manager with a 4 digit reference number. She told me that it will take up to 5 days to be resolved. Today is May 24th and I am still starring at the green checkmarks. No change.
I own my TDI with no loan on it and I am doing a trade in. My 2017 Jetta is (literally) getting rusty at the dealership.

alexvtr

TDI
2014 TDI
Sorry if it's been mentioned before, but for those concerned with early lease termination, I just received the official letter that I have to sign and return. The amount offered is the same as was mentioned in the court documents.

It essentially says that I will receive 2975$, that the car has to be under the total amount of KM allowed for the entire contract (not prorated as some have feared) and that it will be subjected to all the regular fees that may happen when returning a leased car ($ / excess km, excessive wear, etc.). No surprise, I have to keep making my payments until I return the car.

However, it's not clear what happens if I make a payment for instance today and I return my car next week... Will I be reimbursed for the unused portion of the month? If not, better take care when I schedule my appointment to avoid losing money there...

callandertdi

TDI
2012 Golf wgn highline mt
Is a spouse an acceptable witness for the last page of the release ? I am the owner, she is not listed on the ownership or bill of sale ?

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
Re: protection package, the dealer called me today chasing the "hot lead" of me booking my appointment and maybe needing a replacement. I guess it didn't occur to them I might have thought of options before now, including speaking to their disinterested salesmen a couple of weeks ago before giving up on VW!

Anyways, on protection package, he said I need to call VW.
I purchased that extra protection as well; but I'm not sure how it would work? I guess when you return your vehicle and there's any kind of damage on it, I would think if they use the extra care protection plan towards the damage, then you wouldn't get a refund ... However, it would be nice to recoup that money. Thanks for the heads up ...

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
Sorry if it's been mentioned before, but for those concerned with early lease termination, I just received the official letter that I have to sign and return. The amount offered is the same as was mentioned in the court documents.

It essentially says that I will receive 2975$, that the car has to be under the total amount of KM allowed for the entire contract (not prorated as some have feared) and that it will be subjected to all the regular fees that may happen when returning a leased car ($ / excess km, excessive wear, etc.). No surprise, I have to keep making my payments until I return the car.

However, it's not clear what happens if I make a payment for instance today and I return my car next week... Will I be reimbursed for the unused portion of the month? If not, better take care when I schedule my appointment to avoid losing money there...
One would think they wouldn't charge you an entire months lease payment, if you return it a week after your payment. Thought I read that in the U.S. There was a $350 charge... Can't remember what it was called... Disolve fee or disbursement fee???
Just out of curiosity what kind of timeframe did you undergo during the process... ie original registration on portal to getting your docs approved etc,etc..
Thanks,

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Is a spouse an acceptable witness for the last page of the release ? I am the owner, she is not listed on the ownership or bill of sale ?
As I recall, the stipulation is that the witness will not benefit financially from the settlement, or words to that affect. To me, that rules out a spouse.
I did let my wife sign as the witness (I was wondering about this though), and it was accepted.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I signed as a witness for my wife. Our finances are essentially independent, the car is entirely in her name, and the totality of the settlement money goes to her new car which is also in her name. Still waiting for the document to be accepted though.

alexvtr

TDI
2014 TDI
One would think they wouldn't charge you an entire months lease payment, if you return it a week after your payment. Thought I read that in the U.S. There was a $350 charge... Can't remember what it was called... Disolve fee or disbursement fee???
Just out of curiosity what kind of timeframe did you undergo during the process... ie original registration on portal to getting your docs approved etc,etc..
Thanks,
I don't have the exact dates but IIRC I submitted my claim early may and have been starring at green check marks for 2 weeks.
Yesterday, I received 1 email confirming that all my documents have been received (which I knew 2 weeks ago, hence the green check marks) and later yesterday, a second email informing me that I could go to the portal and download the acceptation letter.
I will be doing that later today and then I have to upload it back to the portal.
Then, I guess it's another waiting game until I can schedule an appointment to return the car. I still don't know how it will work with the usual pre-return inspection. Time will tell!

icecoaster

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
Fyi
Timing belt is due for change at 196k on my 2012 Golf wagon. I'm pretty sure it's not going to blow up at 196k either.

TDI613

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Wow no wait on the phone today! I finally got an agent to send a request to the audit group to move my offer letter along. Hopefully that works!
not holding my breath...

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Someone from the dealer called for appointment confirmation (Saturday)! Picking up a new truck today too. Life is temporarily good!!

Last edited:

Soundguy

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Trading in 2012 Passat TDI Trendline - 132000km
Buying 2015 Passat TDI Highline 75km

April 29 - submitted my claim
May 4 - Documents approved
May 5 - Received offer package
May 6 - Submitted offer
3 phone calls wondering what's taking so long to approve my offer
May 23 - Offer approved - return date June 7
May 24 - received phone call to confirm km reading.

Thanks everyone for all the posts - it's been extremely helpful through this whole process.

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
Followed up with Rice after they told me to call back in 3-5 business days, after they rejected my offer letter due to their error (been stuck at the check marks since the first week of May).

Was given a whole speech about how they have 90 - 120 days to get the claim wrapped up, and how things such as unpaid parking tickets etc can affect whether the settlement goes through. I called the guy out on that because what does the plate portion of my car (Ontario) have to do with submitting the claim. From what I'm aware of, the parking tickets stick with the license plate (driver), and not the car itself. Seems like they are making up excuses on the spot to get you off the phone.

I may have to switch back to the buyback option instead of the trade-in because I heard a loud bang the other day and found that one of my springs sheered in half. Never had this happen to me before so I dunno if I should be worried about catastrophic failure due to the ready loud banging noise every time I go over a bump or turn the wheel :(

callandertdi

TDI
Thanks for the "spouse as a witness" advice, I had the boss witness the last page and finally got the combined pkg uploaded today after re-scanning all 9 pages at a fairly low resolution to fit under the 10mb limit. Now we are facing the dreaded blue eyeball again.

callandertdi

TDI
Followed up with Rice after they told me to call back in 3-5 business days, after they rejected my offer letter due to their error (been stuck at the check marks since the first week of May).

Was given a whole speech about how they have 90 - 120 days to get the claim wrapped up, and how things such as unpaid parking tickets etc can affect whether the settlement goes through. I called the guy out on that because what does the plate portion of my car (Ontario) have to do with submitting the claim. From what I'm aware of, the parking tickets stick with the license plate (driver), and not the car itself. Seems like they are making up excuses on the spot to get you off the phone.

I may have to switch back to the buyback option instead of the trade-in because I heard a loud bang the other day and found that one of my springs sheered in half. Never had this happen to me before so I dunno if I should be worried about catastrophic failure due to the ready loud banging noise every time I go over a bump or turn the wheel :(
I had 2 broken springs in the last 12 months, one wiped out the strut bearing and was un-driveable, the other side was able to limp into the dealer. Another reason to never ever buy another mexican built VW

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
I had 2 broken springs in the last 12 months, one wiped out the strut bearing and was un-driveable, the other side was able to limp into the dealer. Another reason to never ever buy another mexican built VW
Wiped out while driving?

Both of my fronts are currently broken and other than a lot of noise haven't affected the car at all.

chachee

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I know that a lot of us are waiting patiently for the green checks and appointments, so I'm not wanting to rub anyone the wrong way with this post, but i do want to share.

I just got back from my buy-back appointment, and I'm happy to say that it was a piece of cake. Less than 1/2 an hour and i was walking out of the dealership, cheque in-hand. (I was the first appointment at my dealership).

For everyone who has upcoming appointments, here are a couple of items to know:
-I returned my car on snow tires and steel rims. No issues.
-They will ask for your owners manual...so please make sure that you have that when you take the car in.
-At my dealer, there were employees of both Rice-Point and VW, however i only dealt with the Rice-Point employees . (They were very pleasant to deal with)
-I had to sign a couple of forms, one confirming the mileage at drop-off, and the other was a power of attorney, which allows the dealership to transfer ownership to VW Canada.

For reference, my car was a straight buy-back (no-trade), and my car was owned outright (no lien)

I hope everyone still waiting in Limbo gets their claims moving forward quickly!!

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
I know that a lot of us are waiting patiently for the green checks and appointments, so I'm not wanting to rub anyone the wrong way with this post, but i do want to share.

I just got back from my buy-back appointment, and I'm happy to say that it was a piece of cake. Less than 1/2 an hour and i was walking out of the dealership, cheque in-hand. (I was the first appointment at my dealership).

For everyone who has upcoming appointments, here are a couple of items to know:
-I returned my car on snow tires and steel rims. No issues.
-They will ask for your owners manual...so please make sure that you have that when you take the car in.
-At my dealer, there were employees of both Rice-Point and VW, however i only dealt with the Rice-Point employees . (They were very pleasant to deal with)
-I had to sign a couple of forms, one confirming the mileage at drop-off, and the other was a power of attorney, which allows the dealership to transfer ownership to VW Canada.

For reference, my car was a straight buy-back (no-trade), and my car was owned outright (no lien)

I hope everyone still waiting in Limbo gets their claims moving forward quickly!!
Thanks for the update.
What did they do when you handed them the keys...started it, took a picture...etc?

Thanks

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
Thanks for the update.
What did they do when you handed them the keys...started it, took a picture...etc?

Thanks
I'd do my happy dance, for sure. Two weeks for me now staring at the confounded green check marks.