Looking into an BHW swap into an 2001 allroad

arjax

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 allroad TDI BHW swap 6spd code GLX, 2014 Q5 3.0L TDI
As the title states I am researching a BHW swap into a 2001 allroad. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with.

Gas Tank

Can I use the existing tank?
Can I use the existing fuel pump? In a phone conversation with DeWitt he mentioned using a pressure regulator. What pressure does it need to be? Who makes one or where to buy one?
Any additional modification needed to the gas tank?

ECU
Do I need a different ecu or can my current ecu be flashed? If I need a new one which one do I need?

Instrument Cluster
Do I need a new instrument cluster?

Gearing
I will be swapping out the Tip for a 6speed from a 2001 A6. What gearing should I be looking at for the 6th gear?

Miscellaneous
Wiring Harness - Any good threads that discuss this? Would having one built by Fast Forward be a good option? The donor car I have an eye on is an 2004. Does it have what I would need to make my own?

Thanks in advanced for any insight and help.

arjax

Veteran Member
TDI
Any foreseeable issue using the BHW ECU and the allroad's air suspension?

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
im not too current on everything but the Passat of the same year was available with the VE engine so I would think that engine would have an ECM and cluster for that body. Im less sure about the BEW tho. I cant see the diesel ECM caring too much about the air suspension as it only seems to use the road speed to limit the height. If you cant use the air ride im not sure youre missing much. I had the same allroad and it handled like crap compared to my Moms 1.8t Passat the same year. Even with 195 vs 225 tires on the allroad. Good news is you can put coils on the allroad. I know I don't miss 400km/tank with the gutless 2.7biturbo but maybe it was the 2.7 anchor plowing the front tires anyway and the BEW will improve handling. Love the allroad body styling so best of luck.

arjax

Veteran Member
TDI
I am wondering if getting an ECU and cluster from a euro allroad that had the 2.5l diesel would solve the problem.