01 tdi won't fire, has fuel, timing good

01tdicruizer

TDI
I believe I have and electrical issue, timing has been checked and double checked, then checked and double checked again it's spot on. I bought this in December off a kid in town, it hasn't ran going on a year now. I finally pulled it into the shop. The kid I bought it from said he was driving down the highway and it just stalled.

I purchased a timing belt and did the repair. I noticed one bolt from the water pump came out sitting behind the balancer when I pulled it. The ip was 2 teeth out, the key way wasn't lined up. I lined everything up slid the new belt on. Slapped it back together, crossed my fingers and it still doesn't fire. Ip is bled to the injectors, wd40 will make it catch, just won't run on its own. (I do know the risks of using a starting agent with these engines, please don't make it a debate of how wrong it is. Just trouble shooting) The flap is open on the egr while cranking.

I do hear clicks in engine compartment, glow plug light comes on then goes out. Fuel sensor is getting 12 volts, and ground is good. There is an engine light on, having issues with that as well.

I guess my question is where is the ecu located, i can't seem to get any of my diagnostic tools to hook up and read the car. Link failure on 2 of them, i got the freebie vcds it won't hook up either. I can how ever get it to read my son's 03 1.8t.

Can anyone point me into the direction of electrical end of trouble shooting please. Thanks in advance

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Do you get fuel at the injectors if you crack the nuts?

If you get clicky noises from the pump that makes me think the ECU is working but I can't say for sure.

Was the cam still in time? If not what did you do to inspect the followers? Doesn't take much cam timing error on this engine for the pistons to hit the valves.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If your code readers won’t connect check the OBD fuse. It’s one of the two 7.5v fuses in the fuse panel.

01tdicruizer

TDI
Timing of the cam was still in where it supposed to be. Lock plate slid right in. Checked lobes and followers nothing was outta place.

I cracked the fuel lines at the injectors and there is fuel there, rolled the engine over and diesel splashed every where.
Test light on the 7.5amps and everything lite up. There were 2 fuses far left mini fuses second row bottom and top I had no power on. Every other fuse I had power on.

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
Broken wire going to the IP. Seen it a few times. The pump is supposed to do a sweep (not sure that the best way to describe it) when you turn the key to the on position. Kind of a self check. With out this it won't fire.

01tdicruizer

TDI
igiveup, i will add that to my to-do list. I know what you mean by that sweep.

the car is at the shop i work at so depending how the days go i will try and find the time to squeeze and work on the jetta after hours.
Paccars, kittyCATS, and Macks are my specialties, just gotta keep thinking its only a diesel just like the rest.

hollowhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5 speed(2)2000 vw beetle tdi automatic
Are you getting any smoke out of tailpipe? You might try moving the timing on the IP.