Limp Mode: Where to Start

JBjunior

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon/05 Passat Sedan/03 Jetta Wagon
'03 ALH wagon with around 270K miles. Runs beautifully 95% of the time. If I drive anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours, cut the car off for a short period of time like filling up, and then restart the car it will have a significant loss of power.

If I stop, turn the car off and immediately try to restart, the starter doesn't engage properly (or something happens). So I end up waiting about 20-30 seconds and start the car and I have 100% power back, 100% of the time for days/weeks until I do the event above that re-triggers the power loss.

There are no codes. I haven't dove in with VCDS to monitor anything but can if/when needed.

Thoughts?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
'03 ALH wagon with around 270K miles. Runs beautifully 95% of the time. If I drive anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours, cut the car off for a short period of time like filling up, and then restart the car it will have a significant loss of power.
If I stop, turn the car off and immediately try to restart, the starter doesn't engage properly (or something happens). So I end up waiting about 20-30 seconds and start the car and I have 100% power back, 100% of the time for days/weeks until I do the event above that re-triggers the power loss.
There are no codes. I haven't dove in with VCDS to monitor anything but can if/when needed.
Thoughts?
Have you checked the usual suspects that have been discussed the last 11 years?
Your car is at the age where all the various maintenance items are known to fail.

JBjunior

Veteran Member
TDI
Have you checked the usual suspects that have been discussed the last 11 years?
Your car is at the age where all the various maintenance items are known to fail.
Thanks for the reply. I have been through it all previously with my 310K mile wagon. My time is very limited (currently away from the car conducting military training) and I have about 6 weeks before a major move so I am hoping to rely on some of the experience pool here for the most common corrections with this specific issue.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I would go through the checklist methodically because I don't know of a shortcut.
Most obvious if you've kept up on maintenance and filters is MAF actual vs demand.
Reach down or up and check the actuator. Measure or inspect vacuum and pump flange.

JBjunior

Veteran Member
TDI
I would go through the checklist methodically because I don't know of a shortcut.
Most obvious if you've kept up on maintenance and filters is MAF actual vs demand.
Reach down or up and check the actuator. Measure or inspect vacuum and pump flange.
MAF is one of my first thoughts. What is strange about this, and the reason I am bringing it up here, is it happens most often when I re-fuel and just seeing if anyone sees any possible connection there. It could be I "just happen" to be refueling when it occurs but it doesn't happen when the car is sitting for a longer periods of time and I don't tend to cut the car off/on quickly in other circumstances.