300k Jetta Tdi - Replaced Crank Sensor, now 3 codes : 0722,0228,0671

jenxo

TDI
Jetta 2002 TDi
Hi,
I've been trying to fix my 2002 Tdi for over a year now.
Basically drives perfectly fine for about 10-20min and then dies. Try to crank, doesn't fire up. I wait for about 5 hours, starts right up. ( the Speedometer is still not working, even though I replaced it with a Speed sensor a while back).

I got a tip from a local mechanic who said it was the CRANK POSITION SENSOR. I ordered a new one, installed it in 5 min.
Drove the car 1 mile, and the Check engine light came on. First time I saw it come on. From my cheap OB2 Reader I get :

P0722 - appears to indicate speed sensor
P0671 - appears to indicate Glow plug #1
P0228 - Throttle position sensor or alternator/low voltage ?

Help....any ideas ??

Update: I erased the codes, drove it 1 mile. Parked it, Turned it off and now it wont start. Took about 6 cranks and then it started running. Turned it off, wouldn't start again. pulling my hair out. Ive replaced Relay 109, fuel sender, some hoses, fuel filter and few other things..nightmare. I need DIESEL NOW, since gas is up up! Help!!

Last edited:

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
it would be easy to test your glow plugs with a meter now and checking/cleaning all the contacts with Deoxit. P0228 can be a few things from what I have read. It doesn't come up on the RossTech website. May be worthwhile to find someone with the VCDS to get better codes.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Replace the new crank sensor with oem. That may or may not still leave you with your original problem.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Recheck your installation of the new sensor. Using the bolt to seat the new sensor could warp it according to another member here who had similar problems after a new sensor was installed.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Non-OEM level sensor, incorrect installation, rust caught between sensor body and block mounting surface, etc. can all cause issues.

I thoroughly clean both the flat mounting surface and the hole... if it is really bad I drain the oil afterwards, as that hole opens directly into the crankcase.

Then I lube the o-ring on the new sensor with some petroleum jelly, and push it in until it seats... you'll feel it slide (almost a "pop") into place, then gently rotate it to line up the retaining bolt hole.

Also make sure the wire on the engine harness side is not rubbed through anywhere.

jenxo

TDI
Jetta 2002 TDi
It starts up fine on a cold start, after I run it around the block, and park it, try starting it again, and it takes 5-6 cranks to start.

Now...
A mechanic I spoke to mentioned it is likely the CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR that needs replacing.
I can't find the location of the CPS or how to install it on Youtube.

oilhammer

TDI
Do not speak to that "mechanic" ever again. :rolleyes: Your car has no CMP sensor.

I already posted some hints, have you looked into that?

jenxo

TDI
Jetta 2002 TDi
Thanks, this weekend I'm going to redo my CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR installation, following your suggestions. I truly appreciate your kind help.

jenxo

TDI
Jetta 2002 TDi
Thanks, this weekend I'm going to redo my CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR installation, following your suggestions. I truly appreciate your kind help.
It just threw a GLOW Plug #1 Check engine light
P0671

Last edited:

jenxo

TDI
Jetta 2002 TDi
Runs perfectly then after I park and turn off, doesn't start until it is cold again

Hi Oilhammer,
I reinstalled and cleaned everything on the Crank Position sensor.
The CEL (GlowPlug code) is still on.
Car runs beautifully for 15 minutes, then I park it, and try to start it again and it doesn't turn over, just cranks and doesn't fire up. I doubt glow plug is the issue. Had same issue, even before it threw the Glow plug code.

Other hints : The Speedometer is still not working. I had the SPEEDO sensor replaced by a very mediocre mobile mechanic a while back, and it didn't fix the issue. The Fuel level indicator sways a little, when I drive, then rests back to actual level.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
The engine controller's data. Get a real scan tool, read the data blocks... engine RPM will be one of them.