Mercedes E250 Bluetec

What interests you about this thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobdfsh

E250 trailer hitch

I have a 2015 mercedes E250 bluetec. I like to bike and have a Yakima bike rack that fits into a trailer hitch. I can't find a specific hitch for my car. I have looked etrailer.com; Uhaul; Amazon and eBay.

I can find a hitch for the gas version the E350. Does anyone know if this hitch would work on my E250?

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Hello bobdfsh. There are three E250BT owners on this thread, you, me, and Drivbiwire. Drivbiwire is on his way to TDIfest trailing a coach, I think.. Maybe he can answer your question. How do you like your new car? As you can read on this thread, I couldn't be more satisfied.

Last edited:

bobdfsh

Great car

We love the car. Great for highway driving. We just finished a 3750 mile road trip and had 43.8 mpg. That said I can't believe there isn't a trailer hitch available. I have seen them on a Prius and Fiat. Minor irritant

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
We love the car. Great for highway driving. We just finished a 3750 mile road trip and had 43.8 mpg. That said I can't believe there isn't a trailer hitch available. I have seen them on a Prius and Fiat. Minor irritant
Have you asked Etrailer whether the gasser E350 hitch fits? I think the bodies are the same but there may be an extra tank under there though. Also there are other MB forums. Google "mercedes forums" and there's five or more, mbworld.org, etc. Mbca.org is the Mercedes Club which White Passat told me to join when I started this thread which has a good forum. Please let us know if you check out the other forums and if you find the hitch.

Last edited:

bobdfsh

e trailer.com has no clue why the gas version doesn't fit the bluetec. Dealer said none were available.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Call the E350 hitch manufacturer. Ask them how to modify it for the BT. There's about 5 or ten major hitch manufacturers. The E250 has been out for three years. Somebody has a hitch on it.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
I have a 2015 mercedes E250 bluetec. I like to bike and have a Yakima bike rack that fits into a trailer hitch. I can't find a specific hitch for my car. I have looked etrailer.com; Uhaul; Amazon and eBay.

I can find a hitch for the gas version the E350. Does anyone know if this hitch would work on my E250?
http://www.autoanything.com/towing/73A3874A0A0.aspx

The issue may be the urea tank blocking access for the torque bar.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I just chatted with a Curt Hitches guy. They have an E350 but no E250 and he didn't know why.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Bosal has a hitch number for the E250. We've asked for pricing and will order a few with our next shipment. These are swan neck hitches that replace the bumper brace. Very strong, and invisible when the receiver is detached.

bobdfsh

drivbiwire hitch

drivbiwire posted a picture of a curt hitch. I check on Amazon and it doesn't fit an e250 bluetech

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes and I called Curt and they don't have an E250 hitch, IndigoBlueWagon says Bosal has one. Any more info IndigoBlueWagon?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
They haven't gotten back to us yet. But I wonder if Curt and Amazon have just neglected to include the E250 on their list because it's such a low volume car, not because it's different.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
They haven't gotten back to us yet. But I wonder if Curt and Amazon have just neglected to include the E250 on their list because it's such a low volume car, not because it's different.
I called Curt and really insisted he check again and again. Answer no. Hope you can find it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I called Curt and really insisted he check again and again. Answer no. Hope you can find it.
That just confirms that the E250 isn't in their catalog. Doesn't mean it doesn't fit. I'm not super familiar with these cars, but what's different between an E250 and an E350? Body is the same. Is styling different enough to cause clearance problems? Does Curt differentiate between cars with and without 4-matic? If we want fitment information from Bosal it'll have to be for Euro market cars. May not be identical. Maybe the only way to be sure will be to get one and see if it fits.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
That just confirms that the E250 isn't in their catalog. Doesn't mean it doesn't fit. I'm not super familiar with these cars, but what's different between an E250 and an E350? Body is the same. Is styling different enough to cause clearance problems? Does Curt differentiate between cars with and without 4-matic? If we want fitment information from Bosal it'll have to be for Euro market cars. May not be identical. Maybe the only way to be sure will be to get one and see if it fits.
If Euro 250 has DEF it'd be worth trying I guess. E250 are 4cyl vs E350 are 6cyl in both diesel and gas. E250BT are newer and have DEF below the trunk, which may be a different rear end under it. So if any manufacturer (Bosal) says they have a hitch for an E250, we need to specify Bluetec and awd or rwd and then see if it fits. Bosal may already know they fit a US E250. The cars been out for 3 years. I don't know about other owners but I'd have to at least have the manufacturer say it fits an E250, Euro or US, before I'd try it on my car. It would all be out of warranty if anything went wrong drilling holes and cutting wires as may be needed. On this car, I'm barely above water after paying for a year. They still sell new 2016 E250BT but I'd probably have to shop for a used one if I had to replace mine now. I couldn't handle paying off a new car more than once every 7 or 8 years.

Last edited:

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
Let us know how your shopping goes. I assume this is the time to start looking for a 2015 since they are coming off lease. I would like to hear what these cars are going for. Do you use autotrader or some other online search?
I've been looking around on Car Gurus and Autotrader, may use USAA buying service as I'm an insurance member. Waiting for details on the buyback of my Passat...

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been looking around on Car Gurus and Autotrader, may use USAA buying service as I'm an insurance member. Waiting for details on the buyback of my Passat...
What do you see used E250BT go for? With say 15k miles and dealer certified? My hunch is, and I haven't been following Dieselgate, but I doubt the Passat "buyback" will be too good if you are trading in for a Mercedes. VW will probably reward loyalty even now. Since VW is walking away from diesel, I don't think you will find the buyback is worth waiting for. All my hunch. You should be waiting on the best E250BT deal, not on VW. Mercedes is all in bringing diesel for 2018, not to mention they are still selling US diesel cars now. And when I bought new a year ago just before Dieselgate my dealer was motivated. Now press harder, thanks VW.

Last edited:

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
The trunk area is the same as all other MB's the only difference is the spare tire well is used for the AdBlue tank...

The issue may be that you cannot install the single bolt for the hitch bar which keeps it from torquing (Up/down, Left/Right).

I'm half tempted to order one and document an install...

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
By the way: Factory snap shot for the E250 Bluetec and complete parts list:

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Looks like the cost is around 749 Euros list price plus another 200 Euros in misc pieces

ktr

TDI
'12 Passat TDI & '12 E350 Bluetec
Yep, there is a factory trailer hitch, but is only offered in European markets. If I recall correctly, it electronically retracts (i.e. wiring is involved) and it is integrated with COMMAND (i.e programming is involved).

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Okay, here you guys go.

Lol you're welcome :)

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/mercedes-e-class-saloon-05-2009-2016-bosal-detachable-towbar.html

I and others have purchased from pfjones and have the bosal or westfalia.

Here are the factory electrics that communicate with the car:
http://www.pfjones.co.uk/mercedes-2008-2016-13-pin-westfalia-wiring-kit-313361300113.html

These are both for 2009-2016 e class mercs 4 door. For the wiring kit, I will put this in all caps MAKE SURE YOU GO WITH THE WESTFALIA KIT ONLY AND MAKE SURE IT'S THE 13 PIN. Okay no more shouting. Lol. The westfalia wiring kit is the factory kit and the 13 pin system is more robust. It allows for other fun stuff. Like running a dedicated 12v tap etc. Some of thr features I read were fog disable , auto trailer recognition so lamp monitoring, led light compatible. And trailer stability control. Both my self and another member installed in our mk6. Him in a golf I in a Jetta. It is truly awesome. Well worth the price. The conversion from UK 13 pin to us 4 or 7 is very easy and I can guide any one on here. You essentially buy a male 13 pin adapter off of eBay or amazon for like 10 bucks and you connect a 4 flat or 7 loom to it. It works perfect.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That Bosal number is the same one we came up with. Still waiting on pricing, our supplier contact is on vacation until Monday.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay, here you guys go.

Lol you're welcome :)

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/mercedes-e-class-saloon-05-2009-2016-bosal-detachable-towbar.html

I and others have purchased from pfjones and have the bosal or westfalia.

Here are the factory electrics that communicate with the car:
http://www.pfjones.co.uk/mercedes-2008-2016-13-pin-westfalia-wiring-kit-313361300113.html

These are both for 2009-2016 e class mercs 4 door. For the wiring kit, I will put this in all caps MAKE SURE YOU GO WITH THE WESTFALIA KIT ONLY AND MAKE SURE IT'S THE 13 PIN. Okay no more shouting. Lol. The westfalia wiring kit is the factory kit and the 13 pin system is more robust. It allows for other fun stuff. Like running a dedicated 12v tap etc. Some of thr features I read were fog disable , auto trailer recognition so lamp monitoring, led light compatible. And trailer stability control. Both my self and another member installed in our mk6. Him in a golf I in a Jetta. It is truly awesome. Well worth the price. The conversion from UK 13 pin to us 4 or 7 is very easy and I can guide any one on here. You essentially buy a male 13 pin adapter off of eBay or amazon for like 10 bucks and you connect a 4 flat or 7 loom to it. It works perfect.

Thanks sandmansans. And thanks for offering to guide. There are a lot of options for 13 pins on the links. Which do I need?

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
That Bosal number is the same one we came up with. Still waiting on pricing, our supplier contact is on vacation until Monday.
That's so awesome you guys have a stateside bosal supplier! I wish I had that option when I imported mine in for the Jetta. I even called bosal and was tempted in stopping at their location in nj. It's right down the road from my job. But the folks that I spoke with were clueless as to what I was talking about.
There truly is no better way to tow than with the euro swan neck design!
Thanks sandmansans. And thanks for offering to guide. There are a lot of options for 13 pins on the links. Which do I need?
Hey its not a problem!
The second link that posted should go straight to the 13 pin westfalia. That's the OE provided kit. The other brand, right connections, offers kits at a lower price.but I can't speak to their compatibility or quality. It's a better bet to stick to the oe brand, westfalia. Also, when you go to order, contact pfjones and let them know it's for a LHD version not RHD. For the golf and jetta they had 2 variants, and of course we need the LHD version. That may be the case for the E250

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
its the pulldown menus on the towbar link. Which do I select? The first two have a 13 pin selection, but the leads and adapters has a few that say 13 pin.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
its the pulldown menus on the towbar link. Which do I select? The first two have a 13 pin selection, but the leads and adapters has a few that say 13 pin.
No, just click the second link in my post that I provided. The first link wqs just thr towbar. The second link goes directly to the electrics

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok. Thanks. Just getting info now, no rush to order.

Last edited:

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
It's the same thing. If you select the dedicated electrics 13 pin kit it pulls the same one I posted in the second kit.

On a side note, more info for you guys...the tow bar specs are UBER impressive!

The bosal has a higher rating than the westfalia and it's a lower price for thr bosal. It's at 2100 kg lol a ridiculous 4,629 lbs lol.

But even crazier is that the whittier branded towbar is rated even higher. At 2460kg= 5,423 lbs! Holy smokes haha that's impressive.
For the mk6 we get 1800kg rating=3968
Lol makes it seem puny in comparison

But alas not evry thing is cherry. The nose weight remains the same for you E250 guys as us vw guys with the same set up
The max nose rating is 88kg, that's with the bosal branded bar. Both whitter and westfalia are even less.

88kg is slightly less than 200 lbs. For the vw we got 75kg.

Don't know what the rear end of your car looks like, but if you can it may be a good option to consider air lift air bags. They're supper low cost and help keep the rear from sagging. Both GJAS18 and myself have them, along with redbarron and a few other vw towbar members. They work great.