? with mk4 wagon hatch and wire loom seals

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
In chasing an electric short i popped the rubber seals that hold the wire looms going from the body into the hatch. I don't know the trick to keep these seals water tight:eek: I can't figure out how to put them back to original. I did snap a little bit of the plastic ring off too. The future to do list includes replacing the hatch so I will be thankful for help here because i will be sure to use it again . . .

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I was trying to trace the source of the 02's rear hatch lock non-actuation situation and started to pop the grommet out of the hatch. I remember it came out with difficulty and breakage. Once out I knew it was going to be a problem re-installing. And it was!
I stopped checking wires as a result and the lock is still nfg
Bummer but I can't remember what I did.:eek:.
I will go look at tomorrow and see if it jogs my memory.

Last edited:

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Right on, Ive searched here and through the bentley. Not much to go on, yet.

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
I believe silicone actually absorbs water. RTV will do it. However Im hoping someone can explain how the seals can be put back together just list they were?

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI
I use the words silicone and rtv interchangeably and probably incorrectly but both are suitable. I'm speaking of rtv in a squeeze tube or silicone caulk which has many uses. It's an adhesive and sealer and I've never heard of it absorbing water. It lasts for 30 years but is relatively easy to remove should that become necessary.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I'm not sure this applies, but it is a hatch so...

On my 2-dr, the hatch would not lock. When I looked into it, the wire that actuates the lock popper was broken right where it exits the body. In looking closely, the insulation for every one of the wires was cracked at the same point; it looked as if someone cut them with a utility knife.

For myself, I just repaired the break, taped the other wires, then replaced the tube. It sounds like the seals for your wagon hatch are different than the corrugated tube on the Golf hatch.