Burned Out Glow Plug at 9,000 Miles

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
At 9000 miles the Check Engine Light came on in my 2004 Jetta TDI. My VAG-COM indicated "Glow Plug Electrical Fault--Cylinder #4" and gave the code. I just did my 10,000 mile service and checked further. Sure enough my digital volt-ohm meter indicated the #4 glow plug is shorted open (burned out). My question is this:

Who here would just spend the $25 or so and buy a new glow plug and replace the plug themselves, or who would take it to the dealer for warranty repair? If I take it to the dealer, that means dropping the car off on my way to work, (dealer is about 8 miles from my work) and schlepping to work on the bus or getting the dealer van to take me to work, and going back to pick it up and dealing with who knows what from the dealer (Like "We found the trouble--a failed glow plug, you know, that thing that is like a spark plug, but not a spark plug, because you have a diesel
.....This is not a warranted item, glow plugs are classified as expendable items, you owe us $200 for diagnosis, repair and to turn your CEL off"). I just do not know if its worth the potential saving of $25 to go through this. What would you do?

--Nate

tdi_allan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2003 Jetta Sedan (Lemons racer), 2010 Touareg
Do it yourself. Glow plugs are considered "wear items" and your friendly dealer will no doubt be happy to replace them for more $ then you might think. There are countless threads on GP replacement here, but you knew that already...

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
Hate to seem picky - but the original problem statement contains an oxymoron: "shorted open."

"shorted" means the two ends of the glow plug element are shorted together, and it will blow the fuse on that circuit, because it will try to draw way more current than designed. This condition is unlikely.

"open" means the element has burnt out and no electrical connection exists between the two terminals of the plug. This is the probable condition.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I just called the German import parts place near me that I buy from. They told me that glow plugs for the '04s are not available aftermarket yet. Also told me that the glow plug changed in either '02 or '03, and that they had the earlier style. If I can only get a new glow plug at the dealer, I'm taking it in for a warranty repair. Wear & Tear items is covered up to 12,000 miles.

Were the glow plugs changed? I thought the A-4s all used the same plug.

--Nate

cage

Top Post Dawg
First off you can buy it from the dealer. While there explain your "situation" you know, how you are going on a trip and don't have time to leave the car but don't feel comfortable driving all that way with the light on etc... and since it is still under warranty might they slip you a glow plug for free. It's worth a try. They might even take the car that minute and replace it so that you can be on your way and they have a claim to submit. It's worth a try.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Man, I hate the dealer! Just called Stohlman VW to make an appointment for glow plug replacement. First available date is July 25th and I have to leave the car! The "courtesy van" can not take me the six miles to work. 3-mile limit. Then I suggested since it is a glow plug failure, that their technitian take 5 minutes and replace it while I wait. "Oh no sir, we can not do that, we have no idea the problem is and I have no idea how long the diagnostics will take, you must leave the car with us"
Then I suggested that their parts department provide me with a free "goodwill" glow plug and I put it in. Well, that elicited basically the same response. I.e., a big fat "NO". "Our qualified technicians must perform all warranty repairs, you should not attempt to repair your vehicle if it is under warranty"

BTW, the glow plug will cost me $48 if I give up on this and buy it. Man, I'm aggrevated!

--Nate

tdi_allan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2003 Jetta Sedan (Lemons racer), 2010 Touareg
Buy the GP from the dealer (I didn't see a listing at Impex, guess dealers are the only source right now.) Remove engine cover. Disconnect the GP harness. Use compressed air to remove dirt and debris from around the GP. Dig out a 10mm deep socket. Remove and replace GP. Reconnect harness. Clear code. Done.

Oops, forgot the mandatory "remain angry at the dealer because of their incompetence" step, not sure where that should go.

I say all of this with a GP CEL still lit because I have not got around to changing my GPs and harness yet...

SwimmerDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW 6MT
Wow. I must have one of those extremely rare "good" dealers, Dwight Harrison VW in Snellville, GA (Atlanta metro area). I took my 2002 NB TDI in for a glow plug failure at around 25,000 miles and they replaced it under warranty, no questions asked. I have also recently taken it back to get an alarm problem fixed. They replaced the starter cylinder and the 3rd brake light (I think water was leaking in and shorting out a sensor). My total cost for both visits was a whopping $0 !!. That's right, I walked out of there both times without paying a dime.

I've heard of other TDI members having a positive experience at Dwight Harrison VW as well. I'm not an employee or friend of anything of that place. I just report good service (rare as it is) when I find it.

MI_Upsolute

TDI
Golf GLS, 2001, Silver
I have a great dealer as well. Vyletel in Sterling Heights, MI did the timing belt replacement on my 01 GOlf at 80,000 miles and at 99,040 the tensioner spring broke. The damage was extensive but they fixed it completely, and cleaned the intake as well. Total for everything- $0.

Marit

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Beetle
I think the lesson learned here is "Stohlman sucks."

I bought my used TDI from Marten's in DC and I get a free loaner for life. You might want to call them and see if they will give you the same deal if you promise to switch all of your business to them.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not a bad idea. Actually, I bought my TDI new at Martens. I'll give them a call and see if I can get a loaner. BTW I had a very positive sales experience there. Stohlman just hapened to be the closest to my work.

--Nate

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
Not a bad idea. Actually, I bought my TDI new at Martens. "Stohlman just hapened to be the closest to my work."

--Nate
That may be the reason for a July 25th appointment. If you purchased the car from them they may have a different tune.
Yes, I know they have to fix anything VW when it comes under warranty, but they do not have to give their best service..

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, I called Martens and talked with the service advisor. I just can not win! The service adviser said twice "The most common cause of a check engine light is a lose "GAS" cap" and asked that I tighten the cap and drive around a while and call back if the light stayed on. "But it is a DIESEL TDI" I exclaimed, and then I got "It does not matter, a lose cap will cause a check engine light on diesels too". Diesel has much lower vapor pressure than gasoline and the US EPA does not mandate pressure pumps and sensors in the tanks of diesel vehicles. But I saved my breath and did not mention that to the all mighty service advisor.
I did then mention that a scan revealed a bad glow plug and I finally got an appointment and was promised a loaner car, although the earliest appointment was July 14th.

--Nate