Help- I need mud flaps advice

Rapidrob

Veteran Member
TDI
96' Passat Wagon
Finding B4 mud flaps is a real challenge. A guy in Poland has them for 100 bucks!
My drivers side,rear flap is torn in half.
Are there any other models other than B4 that will fit?
I placed a Wanted in the for sale section as well.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Finding B4 mud flaps is a real challenge. A guy in Poland has them for 100 bucks!
They are out there, be patient. Took me a few months to find the good ones in late 2015. But they are on my wagon after the paint job more than a year ago. Check on Vortex also. Lots more B4 stuff there. And don't forget Ebay.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I have a set of the rear flaps that I've held back for a few years because they're so hard to source now. AFAIK no other model flaps will fit the B4, at least the rear ones. The front might be a different story.

I'm out of town at the moment but I'll be back late Saturday, I'll PM you when I'm back in town.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Personally, I don't like mud flaps, because they tend to hold a lot of wet stuff behind them, which promotes rust. They're also something that tends to blend in... maybe a universal set would work, and be cheaper?

They are out there, be patient. Took me a few months to find the good ones in late 2015.

John, I believe I sold you that set. Price wasn't as high as $100, but market was around $75. I donated proceeds of that sale to TDI Club.

At one point I had several sets, then "poof" I haven't seen a B4 in the JYs for quite a while. I used to always see WTB ads for them, and getting rid of them was easy.

-Todd

Rapidrob

Veteran Member
TDI
96' Passat Wagon
It is very dry here,no rust in/on cars. Rocks are a problem on the roads and we still have dirt roads.Protecting the paint is paramount.

nh nam vet

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 97 Passats , 02 Jetta
The front splash guards/mud flaps:
Brand: Autobahn, distributed for VW, P/N: ZVW 166 305
I purchased at least 3 pairs of these on eBay from Quirk Auto Parts

The rear splash guards/mud flaps:
Brand: Votex, distributed for VW, P/N: 3A5075101 and 3A5075101
I've also purchased at least 3 pairs of these on eBay UK.

Here's some rear mud flaps on eBay (Germany):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...C0.H0.X3A5075101.TRS0&_nkw=3A5075101&_sacat=0

^^^^Votex originals with the VW logo for $47.04 + shipping.^^^^

I think they serve a good purpose and look great. I have a set of new front mud flaps from Quirk. PM if interested. Jeff

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Are wagon and sedan rear flaps the same? If so, I have some complete sets of 4 that I'll sell.

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.9% sure they're the same. I remember trial fitting a set on my wagon and sedan.

All of my sets must have been OE. I believe fronts were blank and the rears read "Passat".

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
99.9% sure they're the same. I remember trial fitting a set on my wagon and sedan.

All of my sets must have been OE. I believe fronts were blank and the rears read "Passat".

-Todd
That's what my rear ones say. My Mk3 flaps have VW emblems but my B4 ones have Passat in VW style text. I have never seen flaps with white VW emblems.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I believe that's because Autobahn is still considered aftermarket, although it's a brand that was sold by the dealerships.

IIRC, any VW part number that begins with "Z" is considered aftermarket.

-Todd

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
-Todd
Correct on the logo and Passat is in the same font as it is on the trunk/hatch. These are the set I shipped you Rob

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yep, those match what I have. A brand new set is almost too nice to install IMO :)

Steve

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
My mud flaps lasted 21 years here in the desert, I can't complain too much.
I put a set of these on I-Red and I have to say that the fit is excellent. The clips on the fronts are a PITA to get on while aligning it (maybe another set of hands to hold it in place ) but they look great IMO.

Rapidrob

Veteran Member
TDI
96' Passat Wagon
I got the new mud flaps in two days and put them on my wagon.
Thank you Mcgink!
The new ones are exactly the same as the ones I got from the dealer when I bought the car 21 years ago.
They fit like a glove.
Mine is the rotten/torn one on the left. The new one is on the right.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I got the new mud flaps in two days and put them on my wagon.
Thank you Mcgink!
The new ones are exactly the same as the ones I got from the dealer when I bought the car 21 years ago.
They fit like a glove.
Mine is the rotten/torn one on the left. The new one is on the right.
Rob, I'm happy that they fit the wagons too, permission to copy this photo to my FS thread.
Bonus was that you probably didn't have to remove the rear wheel to do a direct R&R.

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
That's what my rear ones say. My Mk3 flaps have VW emblems but my B4 ones have Passat in VW style text. I have never seen flaps with white VW emblems.

Steve
Mine fit perfectly and they have the white VW emblem. I think I bought them on ebay.co.uk for a reasonable price.
I have them on both the daily driver and the B4V project.

Last edited: