"Lo" and "Hi" sockets in AHU ECU

wcelliot

TDI
1991 Passat AHU swap
In trying to determine if an aftermarket chip set was part of the problem with my low power issue, I was trying to identify the chip.

What I found were two identical looking AMD chips (same serial numbers, etc) similar to the cheap Ebay chips I see.

I also note that the instructions say that one chip socket is low and one is high and the right chip needs to go in the right sockets.

So two questions...

1. which socket is which (identification seems to defer to the chips rather than identifying the location of the socket and I can find no pix of the stock numbered chips in their respective sockets... so if I wanted to swap back in stock chips I still wouldn't know which one went where) and

2. How would I know if the lo and hi chips were reversed? Could that be part of my issue? Or if reversed would they damage the ECU and/or not run at all?

Thanks!
Bill

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
i reversed them once, long time ago. if i recall, it will only idle. no response from pedal.

ill wager you cannot make it to the nearest gas station if you have the chips reversed.

once you figure it out, get 2 diff color paint markers (or nail polish) to mark the chips and sockets so you dont do it again..

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Low and high typically just refer to the memory addresses of the respective devices, and they are likely exactly the same device type, just with different images programmed. Thus, there should be inimal risk in swapping - they just won't work. What you don't want to do is get them in the sockets backwards . . .