Rear-view mirror fell off

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
So I come out yesterday and find my rearview mirror sitting on my dash :mad:
The mount is still attached to the mirror ... Do I remove the ball and socket from the mirror - I assume yes ?? If so is there a trick to removing it ?? Any tips ideas would be greatly appreciated .. Thanks

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
The mirror removes from the mount by twisting it off. Not sure how easy it will be to remove the mount from the mirror? Canadian Tire sells a kit to glue it back on to the windshield. It comes with an etching primer and super glue to reattach the mount to the glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4x7mRvp_dU

Last edited:

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
yah I'd like to remove the mount from the mirror - I tried turning it but no go. I'll have a look tonight ... I wonder if VW sells the actual mount ??

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
It's just a little twist mount pad - grab the pad with some channel-locks and twist to remove from the mirror.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Without seeing the mount in the stem, not sure if there would be a way to hold it firmly to remove it. Is there room for pliers, or can you squeeze it in a vice somehow? If not, one option would be to glue the whole assembly to the windshield and hold it in place with tape while it dries.

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
I tried needle nose pliers last night but no go .... I'm thinking I have to apply some downward pressure ??

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Yes, the tabs on the mirror are spring loaded, and it helps if you can push down (normally you would apply slight pressure toward the windshield glass) while turning.