Car stalled and won't restart

elcamino73

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5 speed
Good evening everyone!

The other day my wife was driving our 06 Jetta TDI 5-spd and had it stall a couple times then completely quit on her. She noted that it almost stalled a couple times and felt like nothing happen when pressing the accelerator pedal.

It quit and was unable to be restarted and I had it towed home. So far all I've had a chance to do is attempt to jump start (knowing it would not work) and check all fuses: all fuses are good.

When the key is turned to on all the normal lights come on, but when turning to 'start' nothing happens: no clicking, cranking, nothing.

I will probably be giving up going camping this weekend to fix it, but I am looking of some directing in troubleshooting, i.e. anyone who's had this happen please let me know how you fixed it. Thanks!

side note: I do not have a vagcom.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Read the codes to see where problems may be
He said he has no VCDS. But I agree, get one and scan for codes.

But I would first check for a shorted battery (bad cell(s). Then look at the grounds for corrosion. Also, the engine harness in MKV's (some of them) gets chaffed in the engine compartment causing all kinds of grief. There are threads on this - search for them.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
1. As others have said pull codes if you can.

2. Test your battery. I doubt it's the problem but definitely can be the low hanging fruit.

3. Remove your air cleaner. The start is under it. see the smaller of the two wires going to it? That smaller one activates the starter. Make sure your car is in neutral and disconnect that small wire. Use a jumper wire from the starter terminal where that plugged in and go straight to the + terminal on the battery.

If the car now cranks and runs +with the key on+ then you're looking at ignition switch, IMMO or related components.

Report back with the results of 1,2 and 3.

elcamino73

Veteran Member
TDI
No codes, except for glow plug (that's been there for months).

I'll try bypassing starting circuit next.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I recently had this happen to me. Turned out to be a small item somehow got inside the timing belt cover (pebble?) and locked the belt up momentarily, I lost about 8 inches of timing belt teeth. So, I would pull the timing cover and inspect the belt and set the engine at TDC if you have the tools just to verify that everything is still ok...or not.

Hopefully its something far simpler.

elcamino73

Veteran Member
TDI
Turns out that it was just the wire to the solenoid that had come loose (clip broke when removing it for clutch job. a few zip ties later and it's fixed!

must have stalled due to driving w/ flip flops :)