Are 3.0 TDI (Q5, Q7, Tour) allowed to be sold?

TDI
q7
Sorry if the question has been asked, but

Are dealers allowed to sell 3.0 TDI cars if they have them on their lot or in stock ?

Please let me know as I am seeing few locally

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
They are probably used??? They can't sell CPO or new I believe. We bought out 2014 Touareg from a dealer in October.

bhuizer

TDI
2014 Toureg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, Past: 2012 Touareg TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI
az700' is correct, non-CPO used vehicles only.

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI
So just to confirm, if I were to buy a used 3.0 TDI right now, I could apply for the restitution/buyback money, correct? Only catch would be possible reduced restitution if claimed by former owner, correct?

bhuizer

TDI
Yes and yes, You are correct

I bought a 2014 Touareg last week, and have been approved for the full restitution.

Last edited:

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes and yes, You are correct

I bought a 2014 Touareg last week, and have been approved for the full restitution.
Thanks for the quick answer. Last question, how do you know if a former owner claimed the car? I created a dummy account and have entered the VIN# of the car I'm looking at. How far do I have to go through the process to find out?

bhuizer

TDI
You should be able to enter the VIN and go through a few steps to say you are the current owner without entering all of your information, but I cannot recall when it gave me the numbers.

If the car was sold after the cut-off date of late January 2017 (1/27 I believe?) and was a 1-owner car then that guarantees you full restitution as well.

Last edited:

BLyons

TDI
None right now
are those Gen 2 cars? I haven't seen any Gen 1 cars for sale for weeks
Same question. I called a Chrysler dealer about a Gen I they had listed today and they told me they were not allowed to sell it and could only auction it off wholesale, so unless I had a wholesale license I was SOL.

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
are those Gen 2 cars? I haven't seen any Gen 1 cars for sale for weeks
Yeah, Gen 1 cars are totally gone.

When they do pop up, they sell immediately. We've moved on to the Gen 2 cars. There are still some left because they are much higher risk - a fix will basically eliminate any profit.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
I see tons of Gen 2 for sale, but Gen 1 was never found anywhere around me in the last few months.

I see too much potential for getting stuck with a Gen 2 at this point, to take the gamble. Sales tax is also killer here, and narrows down the potential vehicles even further.

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive
When they do pop up, they sell immediately. We've moved on to the Gen 2 cars. There are still some left because they are much higher risk - a fix will basically eliminate any profit.
Kinda thinking I need another car anyway. So if I bought a 2014-15 Q5 TDI or 2013+ Touareg/Cayenne TDI worse case scenario is if the original owner has not filed a claim I am getting anywhere from $8k-$10k in restitution $/off on the car I purchase. With a moonshot at buyback where most of these car are $60K plus.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Kinda thinking I need another car anyway. So if I bought a 2014-15 Q5 TDI or 2013+ Touareg/Cayenne TDI worse case scenario is if the original owner has not filed a claim I am getting anywhere from $8k-$10k in restitution $/off on the car I purchase. With a moonshot at buyback where most of these car are $60K plus.
Good synopsis. If you don't find what you want you can wait until the 2016's are put on the market, post fix.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
^^unknown and not really relevant until these cars are released to the market. I suspect they will sell close to msrp like the 2015 2.0 liter cars did. We may know more by fall.

opsx

TDI
tdi
Yes - I've bought 4 this week, 3 from Audi dealers.
4 this week? where are you finding these!?! lol

edit: nevermind. i saw you said it was gen2.

i think i got the latest gen1 that popped up on the market ;) sorry!

Last edited:

BLyons

TDI
None right now
who just got that 2011 Q7 Prestige from TX ?!?
Haha, not me. By the time I called he said he must have received 57 calls for it already and was wondering what the big deal was about it. I'm surprised that a Porsche dealership apparently has not clue about them.

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive
I was out my local Audi dealer this week looking at an A7 TDI, they had no clue either what is going on with the 3 liters. It truly is remarkable how an Audi dealer with have no knowledge.

opsx

TDI
tdi
I was out my local Audi dealer this week looking at an A7 TDI, they had no clue either what is going on with the 3 liters. It truly is remarkable how an Audi dealer with have no knowledge.
Isn't it? Even VW salespeople don't know what's going on. I've already lost track as to how many times I've told one that they can now sell 12-14 Passats. Crazy stuff.

opsx

TDI
tdi
Haha, not me. By the time I called he said he must have received 57 calls for it already and was wondering what the big deal was about it. I'm surprised that a Porsche dealership apparently has not clue about them.
They know about it but they just don't care... that place is a volume dealership and just wanted to unload it. Someone literally stole it from under my nose ;)

trekkar

Veteran Member
TDI
05 bug,02 golf
When is the earliest a person could get the restituition on a Gen 2? I wouldn't want to buy one thinking your going to get the 8-10k and then find out the previous owner already got it.

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
When is the earliest a person could get the restituition on a Gen 2? I wouldn't want to buy one thinking your going to get the 8-10k and then find out the previous owner already got it.
You can find out if the previous owner filed a claim before you even buy it, all you need is the VIN number.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Too risky for my blood, I like the Gen I's in my driveway... A lot. Currently only 3 Gen II's, and all were bought "right". No more Gen II's for me until they become less risky. :D

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Too risky for my blood, I like the Gen I's in my driveway... A lot. Currently only 3 Gen II's, and all were bought "right". No more Gen II's for me until they become less risky. :D

Is this your driveway?

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
Eh, if I didn't have a dealer license, I would agree, but it's not bad as-is.

All of the Gen IIs we got will be 100%+ ROI if there is a buyback, and even if there isn't, the repair payments are still 25-33% of what we paid for the cars. We may end up getting stuck selling them post-repair, but shouldn't lose much (if any) from what we paid for them.

It's pretty easy to sell a 2-4 year old car with a 4 year/48k mile warranty.