Gen 2 2.0l Fix announcement 5/19/17

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Anyone worried about wording in the mailer stating that if you come in for other work they MAY slap on the fix anyway?

I think this oxygen sensor recall is a way to get everyone in and forced into a fix.

CA can't deny registration for dieslegate related fixes but they can for others. And the wording says you may get the fix when you bring the car in for work...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
Don't tell the dealership anything about AdBlue faults

I think I wouldn't notice the leak in the AdBlue tank until later ... if you get the drift.
Wait till the Softgoods FIX is made before you mention anything about the adBlue issues. If your car is out of warranty, it will return to warranty after the FIX. My dealer wanted to charge me $119 diagnostics fee to look after my spurious faults regarding DEF Levels. So, I'll be taking my fix elsewhere. I can't believe that the dealers are kept in the dark on these issues. My dealer was reluctant to set an appointment for Fix as they didn't know the details from VWGoA, yet. It has been two weeks since the announcement!

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Are you going to get the fix and pocket the $$, or just keep the car as is and forego the settlement money?
Likely the fix and the $$$, unless something unlikely occurs and the fix is shown to be problematic.

- Tim

ajz9415

TDI
2014 Passat TDI DSG
So fix is being done and dealer has submitted needed info to VW. When and where do I put in my direct deposit info to get paid. When will the portal know the work is dome.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Anyone worried about wording in the mailer stating that if you come in for other work they MAY slap on the fix anyway?

I think this oxygen sensor recall is a way to get everyone in and forced into a fix.

CA can't deny registration for dieslegate related fixes but they can for others. And the wording says you may get the fix when you bring the car in for work...

So no one is worried about the wording on the paperwork sent regarding the fix being applied when other work is done on the car?

Rick_Brown

TDI
2014 Passat, 2011 Jetta Sportwagen
That's been my question too. As long as the buyback amount is the same, doesn't it make more sense to keep the car for "free" for another year and a half? The only reasons I can think of are that a lot of the initial buyback rush was people flipping cars, cars with mechanical issues, older (2009-10) cars where people wanted something new, etc. Also some people are overly concerned about totaling the car before they get a chance to sell it back (a bit unrealistically IMHO).

For those of us that are waiting until Sept 2018, we don't have to do any of these fixes, right? There was also a recall notice about an Inlet Air Box Housing Snow Flap & Oxygen Sensor that came with the Gen 2 Approved Fix notice. It says that Recall must be completed before California will renew registration. As I don't live in California, I'm not directly affected by that, but I am just wondering if any of these fixes will be required before we return the cars.
Many of us (I was hoping most all of us) bought TDI's because of their low use of fossil fuel and reduced impact on climate change (along with being fun to drive and being very space efficient). Only to find out that our cars spew large amounts of pollutants into the atmosphere. The reason to get the fix sooner is because it is wrong to drive around a car that pollutes the air like these do. I suggest we think about our impacts on others and not just ourselves when deciding what to do. It's called community.

Rick_Brown

TDI
Nope. Still no interest in a buyback on a flawless car. The info just reaffirms that we are making to right choice in keeping it, since no equivalent replacements exist.
I tend to agree, based on my criteria, that no equivalent replacements exist. There is no Passat substitute that gets 45+ MPG on the highway, has fun to drive European road manners, has limousine-like space and costs 30k when new.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Many of us (I was hoping most all of us) bought TDI's because of their low use of fossil fuel and reduced impact on climate change (along with being fun to drive and being very space efficient). Only to find out that our cars spew large amounts of pollutants into the atmosphere. The reason to get the fix sooner is because it is wrong to drive around a car that pollutes the air like these do. I suggest we think about our impacts on others and not just ourselves when deciding what to do. It's called community.
I bought mine to save $$$. Not the planet. If you're really serious about saving the planet, destroy (not sell, not fix) your car and buy a bicycle.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
That, and unless you buy the MSM spew, thr TDI does *NOT* "spew large amount of pollutants into the atmosphere". It is a bit high on *ONE* emission, and beats the standards on all other by far larger margins than most other cars. Note the spew say "Up to 40x NOx" . . . Note that .0000000002 times more also meets this claim . . . . Your car, overall, is *still* far cleaner than most, so drive more, worry less . . .

For us, we exclusively drive diesel. Better feel, better mileage, better range, and a safer fuel in case of an accident overall . . . emissions, while not a bad thing, was not a (or was a trivial) factor in our decision . . .

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
It's a reference to the minor detail that a lot of the anti-diesel and environutter crown never taakes the time to learn the actual facts. They saw a diesel smell and smoke once in 1967, and have not yet figured out that things have changed, and the diesel, in reality, is no longer the 'bad guy' . . . Thus the referenced 'explosion' will be the reality check that they have been wrong for years, IE the 'misinformation bubble' bursting, as it were . . .

Last edited:

Rick_Brown

TDI
I bought mine to save $$$. Not the planet. If you're really serious about saving the planet, destroy (not sell, not fix) your car and buy a bicycle.
I do what I can to reduce my impact. I own an EV but cannot take it everywhere nor can I bike ride and walk everywhere. So when I need a fossil fuel car I choose one that is fuel efficient and a low carbon emitter. I am a car enthusiast so the fact that VWs are fun to drive is great, but we have responsibilities to future generations. Our choices are not black (pollute away and not care) or white (destroy all vehicles).

Last edited:

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI

In order to be done correctly where the dealer and you get paid, you must give the dealer the claim number.