2006 Jetta TDI Fan Control Unit location?

TDIguy02

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Can't find it anywhere. Looked under battery tray, just mechanical components. Any help, also I bought this FCU. Is this the right one? Thanks a million

joeschoonover74

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
The 2006 does not have this module. The cooling fan module is located on the large cooling fan. May I ask what problem your having?

TDIguy02

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Blows cold only intermittently. Replaced both fans. Both are working. With key forward. Drivers side fan runs with AC on. When it works. It works great. When it doesn't. Not at all.

joeschoonover74

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Sounds like your compressor is failing. The newer compressors have no clutch they use a valve that varies the output of the compressor based on what the a/c control head, ECM, and ambient temp sensor asks for. I know it sounds weird because when it does work it works great. I was a dealership tech for 12 years and recently opened my own shop. At the dealer I replaced 3 or 4 compressors a week due to the problem your describing. That being said I would get it diagnosed properly before throwing down the money for a new compressor. Need to look at all vent temps, fan activations, pressure sensor and such with a scan tool

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
You can get a new RCV without tossing the whole compressor. The most common complaint [corrected by replacing the RCV] is a delay between switching the A/C on and any noticeable cooling.

opie1988

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
http://www.polarbearinc.com/Webstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=953

need to follow directions in A5 forum for full evacuation of system including oil. Valve will either have a torx head screw holding it in or slip ring. follow the wires to compressor and that is the head of the valve. look how yours is mounted (rings or screw). only takes 10 minutes to change once evacuation is complete. reload with 1.4 lbs of freon and 8oz of PAG oil (need to check the oil amount again)... Good luck

stanz

TDI
2009 jetta tdi
Thanks for the link. I have an 09 TDI and last weeks heat made my AC act up. When it works great. All of a suden hot air blowing, it is not a fan issue. VCDS show .825 specified but no actual on compressor amperage, that would be the switch, right. My switch is the snap ring style. Also if I evacuate R 134 won't the oil stay in the compressor? I am assuming this can be exchanged with compressor on the car.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'd also like to add that some of these cars have issues with the RCV getting full of gunk from the desicant coming apart and getting pushed all over the system. You can get a new drier, but you won't be able to get the condenser clean enough to make the system work 100% again, and a drier comes with a new condenser, so...

Sounds like, though, in your case the compressor or RCV is just bad.

Lba2

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
No module on 2006 Jetta tdi?

The 2006 does not have this module. The cooling fan module is located on the large cooling fan. May I ask what problem your having?
Hi, my car has the two fans not working, a guy connected them directly and both work, problem is I need to disconnect the battery every time I make a stop, cuse it continuines running even with car ignition off, please let me know what can be the issue, I ordered a cooling fan module control , for 28 bucks, but I just was surprised when I saw your posting that this car dose not have one?

Thanks
Leo

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks for the link. I have an 09 TDI and last weeks heat made my AC act up. When it works great. All of a suden hot air blowing, it is not a fan issue. VCDS show .825 specified but no actual on compressor amperage, that would be the switch, right. My switch is the snap ring style. Also if I evacuate R 134 won't the oil stay in the compressor? I am assuming this can be exchanged with compressor on the car.
Cooling dropping out in the first high temps of the season is very often low charge. As the temps increase, the pressure required to condense refrigerant vapor back to liquid goes up (pv=nrT, standard gas law stuff) and if the charge is 'on the edge', you will hit a point where charge volume is so low that the system can't get to that pressure, and this happens, and it's like flipping a switch to off . . . I had a Volvo that would do this every three years or so . . charge it back up, and good for 3 more years, and not worth tearing in to find the leak, since it only cost be a buck or two to restore the charge . . .

Often, when this is the case, it first quits when coming to a stop or driving slowly, due to less cooling air over the condensor than when at speed, coupled with lower compressor shaft speed . . .

Oh, and unless the RCV sits on the bottom of the compressor in the oil sump, you should *NOT* lose oil charge on an evacuation, and putting a full oil charge in thereafter may oil slug and destroy your compressor! Most shop manuals have a specific quantity to add when a component is replaced, and short of a full system flush and a new dry compressor, you pretty much never add the initial charge . . . it's almost impossible to get it all out, even if you try, without a compressor replacement!

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Hi, my car has the two fans not working, a guy connected them directly and both work, problem is I need to disconnect the battery every time I make a stop, cuse it continuines running even with car ignition off, please let me know what can be the issue, I ordered a cooling fan module control , for 28 bucks, but I just was surprised when I saw your posting that this car dose not have one?
Thanks
Leo
You likely got a module for an 06' jetta wagon. Thanks a MK4 chassis. Replace the big cooling fan and the issue should stop.