Prospective buyer

NJMitch

TDI
none yet :)
Hey everyone, just looking for a little bit of advice. Background-I'm a 19 year old (poor) college kid in New Jersey looking for a new car. Right now I'm driving a 1996 Land Rover Discovery with 126,000 miles. I love my truck and I'm not getting rid of it any time soon, but with 12 mpg on premium gas it's just not meant to be my daily driver. I'd love to throw the LR TDI in it but that's going to set me back a good $40-50k USD and there's no way in hell that's happening. So it's going to be my off roading only rig after I dump some money into it :)

In the meantime I want something more practical, and a Jetta TDI is something I've been thinking about for a few months. Now, my Disco requires more maintenance than probably any car you could bring me, and I've been doing 100% of it myself, so I'm no stranger to maintenance and I'm handy with a wrench. Basically I just need a basic rundown of the different years of the Jetta TDI. I'd prefer to get one brand new straight off the dealer lot, but wouldn't be opposed to used as long as I can find one in good condition. Anything specifically I should look for or avoid? What can I expect from these cars? Can I expect it to be "quirky" like my british truck? Any purchase advice?

Thanks, all. Look forward to hearing back.

Mitch

elester12

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI
Hi Mitch,

A new TDI comes with a 3 year/36K free maintenance package which is just three free oil changes.

You also get a warranty to keep your wallet safe from those expensive random faults.

The new 09 TDI uses a different engine from the past. Read this site and you'll learn a lot like I have. I just got my TDI new a few weeks ago.

You mentioned you're a college student... I believe VW still has a "sign and drive" program for college students.

Good Luck!

sabersix

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
You say your OK with maintenance, so I'd recommend a used TDI. The 05.5 through 06.5 Jettas are the same body style as the 09 (and have more features). Prices have dropped significantly lately, so it is a good time to pick one up.

NJMitch

TDI
none yet :)
Hmm, looks like I have a bit of research to do. Didn't know about the "sign and drive" program. Thanks a lot guys, hopefully in a few weeks I'll have some pictures of my own TDI to share :)

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
I heard on here the first oil change on an 09' isn't till 30,000miles

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
aja8888 said:
What? That I don't believe. It's more like 10K.
Yes it is the internet after all,I did see that as well as 1000 mile, so who do you trust

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
JASONP said:
Yes it is the internet after all,I did see that as well as 1000 mile, so who do you trust
Well, trusting the internet is like trusting U.S. politican, so I guess I would go with what's in the owners manual (although those has been known to be off a bit, too).

Reinonu

TDI
09 JSW DSG, Blue Graphite
I just bought a Jetta TDI in New Jersey so I can offer some advice on new ones.

If you want the Jetta TDI sedan then you can probably find a great deal somewhere, especially if you want a manual. If you consider the '09 can get a $1300 tax credit because of the new TDI engine design being very green, then the total price might not be too much over 20k (depending on your options). Definitely shop around...

Forget about the 3 year 36k free maintenance package, it's about a $60 value (three oil changes)... it'd be easier and less hassle to do it yourself depending on where the dealership is. But the 3year 36k mile warranty is important!

The fuel efficiency is quite nice so if you're commuting on the parkway/turnpike it's a great car. General driving is also good mpg (>30).

Good luck with your decision!

elester12 said:
Hi Mitch,

A new TDI comes with a 3 year/36K free maintenance package which is just three free oil changes.

You also get a warranty to keep your wallet safe from those expensive random faults.

The new 09 TDI uses a different engine from the past. Read this site and you'll learn a lot like I have. I just got my TDI new a few weeks ago.

You mentioned you're a college student... I believe VW still has a "sign and drive" program for college students.

Good Luck!

Reinonu

TDI
09 JSW DSG, Blue Graphite
Yes, yes, I was exaggerating. I apologize.

My point was merely to highlight that 3 free oil changes should not be enough of a financial incentive to rationalize spending something like $7,000 more on a new car versus a used one, or even a VW over something more economical like a Toyota, etc.

Whatever the oil costs, it ain't thousands of dollar

aja8888 said:
Reinonu said:
Forget about the 3 year 36k free maintenance package, it's about a $60 value (three oil changes)...
What oil are you putting in (with a new filter) that costs less than $4/quart? Not VW spec 507 I am sure.

BarryEM

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
JASONP said:
What's to debate? The manufacturer has determined that these engines need their oil changed at a 10,000 mile interval. The required oil and filter is clearly specified in the owner's manual. Follow the requirements and the owner should be fine. Tack off and do your own thing because you "know better" than the engineers and material scientists at VW and you are on your own.
This site is a great source of information, but also some misinformation that verges on paranoia.
As one poster has in his signature: "Drive more, worry less."

nforkvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta 6 Speed Manual / Gray, 2009 VW Jetta TDI 6 speed manual / Red,
Chris Farnham at Langhorne VW

Contact Chris Farnham at Langhorne VW, Langhorne, PA, he was the best salesman that I have dealt with. Get the new 09 Jetta, it is way better than the older ones, that is, if you can afford one, but, once you factor in a used one, and depending on the mileage, the mainteance, the newer Jetta is a little bit bigger, more HP/TQ, and some nice featuers like the SAT radio, heated, seats, heated wasther nozzles, info center, and of course, I am comparing it to my 2005 Golf TDI that I traded in. Call or e-mail Chris, no harm in talking to him to see what he has to offer. Just my 3 cents!

Chris Farnham
CFarnham@VWofLAnghorne.com
215-741-4100

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
NJMitch said:
I'm a 19 year old (poor) college kid in New Jersey looking for a new car. Right now I'm driving a 1996 Land Rover Discovery ...snip... So it's going to be my off roading only rig after I dump some money into it ...snip... I'd prefer to get (a Jetta) brand new straight off the dealer lot, but wouldn't be opposed to used as long as I can find one in good condition.
A poor college kid driving a LR Disco as an off-road only car? Considering a new Jetta TDI? Seems the definition of poor has changed since I was in college...