Actual Purchases of 2015 Stop-Sale (NEW TDI's)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I couldn't find anyone in this area that was really willing to deal. One dealer did offer an additional $1000 off, so $6000 off sticker for an SEL GSW. Wasn't enough, so no "new" car for me.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Good to see those numbers and mileage. I'm getting about 22 in town and highway in my 07 extended cab with the 2.8l and 5 speed manual. So a boost of almost 10 mpg will be great. Means you should be seeing about 500 per tank? That's my main struggle right now. I'm not used to needing to start looking for a station at 300 miles. I put 17.9 gallons in it the other day and it's only rated as a 17 gallon tank.
Yeah it's a 21 gal tank, however you can add a few extra gallons by topping off the filler neck.

DEF tank will last 8-10K with normal driving.

My combined mileage is almost 25 mpg.

The 2.8 duramax is very TDI like, but with a deeper sound due to the extra displacement. . It uses the same TDI VGT turbo with a denso solenoid actuated HPCR fuel system. Lag is more apparent I think because of the extra vehicle weight and less aggressive timing.

So Around 500+ miles mixed driving or 600+ pure freeway on a tank.

GDE is working on an Eco tune for this truck. Can't wait to see what the improvements are.

Last edited:

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
Not sure exactly what I paid because there was a negative equity trade involved. I got the standard $5000 off from VW and 0%. They didn't offer me what I thought my gorgeous, perfect trade was worth. And I knew that the dealer hadn't put ANY of his own money into it. So I said, "OK, that's what VW is offering. Now sharpen up YOUR pencil and come back with a payment that's $50 lower." And so he did.

He didn't change the sale price of the car. He just gave me another $3600 for my trade, thus bringing it up to what Kelly said it was worth in the first place. So I guess it's safe to say I got $5000 off the sticker. Period. The dealer wasn't doing me any wonderful favors or anything, but at 0% for 72 months I'm not complaining.

-mickey

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
Just remember: $5000 off for a purchase and $8000 off for a lease through VW Financial. 0% interest for 72 months. That's available to ANYBODY in North America who is buying a 2015 Passat TDI.

Do not make the mistake of assuming that's a "deal." That discount costs your dealer NOTHING. He is still getting his full "sticker" profit at that price, so NEGOTIATE HARD!

As always it's better not to involve a trade if you can avoid it. It only complicates things, which is always to the dealer's advantage. Sell it yourself if you can.

-mickey

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
You really don't want to negotiate your monthly payment at a car dealership. Negotiate the sale price of the car first, then negotiate your trade allowance, then read the bill of sale carefully to find anything the greasy finance manager slipped in. Decline all bloated extended warranty, service contract, window etching, rustproofing bs, etc. Lastly, when your permanent tag arrives, compare your bill of sale charge for registration to actual DMV charges. I've had dealers try to keep an extra $50-100 and hope I didn't notice.

And if you live in California and they're trying to rape you, consider moving.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Just remember: $5000 off for a purchase and $8000 off for a lease through VW Financial. 0% interest for 72 months. That's available to ANYBODY in North America who is buying a 2015 Passat TDI.

Do not make the mistake of assuming that's a "deal." That discount costs your dealer NOTHING. He is still getting his full "sticker" profit at that price, so NEGOTIATE HARD!

As always it's better not to involve a trade if you can avoid it. It only complicates things, which is always to the dealer's advantage. Sell it yourself if you can.

-mickey
I do ...... on the CURB .... anyone can do it too.

... today's market will easily pay one from many hundreds of dollar to a few thousands of dollars each car.

... in decades of doing this with my old cars, I'm fairly sure I profited enough to (almost) pay for my 2015 Golf TDi, AND my wife's 2015 RAV4 LIMITED.

logdrum

TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS; 2003 Jetta Wagon; 2006 Jetta
You really don't want to negotiate your monthly payment at a car dealership. Negotiate the sale price of the car first, then negotiate your trade allowance, then read the bill of sale carefully to find anything the greasy finance manager slipped in. Decline all bloated extended warranty, service contract, window etching, rustproofing bs, etc. Lastly, when your permanent tag arrives, compare your bill of sale charge for registration to actual DMV charges. I've had dealers try to keep an extra $50-100 and hope I didn't notice.

And if you live in California and they're trying to rape you, consider moving.
It really depends on the dealer. I was with Murrieta VW and the only thing they wanted to push was the dang exterior and weather guard fluids. I did pay below the MSRP even with the tax, reg fees and the GAP. It helped that my buddy bought an R and an E-Golf in the last year or so. he has been a repeat customer. They also put new tires battery and fluids. Just have to accept that dealers will never do you any favors and we can just attempt to lower the amount of raping that happens unless the dealer is your relative or friend.

I do get paid a lot more in California (my wife and kids are in Albuquerque- we will not sell our almost paid domicile here) after I paid the high taxes, the rent and what not. Community college is free for my kids and my daughter getting in state tuition at SDSU this fall.

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
It really depends on the dealer.
+1

In CA, I think its easier to spot where the dealer is trying to pull a fast one. Our dealer fees (read pure profit) are capped at $80, where other parts of the country are much higher. Instead, we get marked up interest rates, forced add ons, aggressive upsells, and the like.

That said, as competitive a market LA is, it was tough finding a good deal on a new TDI.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
+1

In CA, I think its easier to spot where the dealer is trying to pull a fast one. Our dealer fees (read pure profit) are capped at $80, where other parts of the country are much higher. Instead, we get marked up interest rates, forced add ons, aggressive upsells, and the like.

That said, as competitive a market LA is, it was tough finding a good deal on a new TDI.
I've had dealers try to push an almost $800 dealer fee at me for a used car. I gave them a $X out the door price, or I will be. They adjusted all the other numbers to make it work.

-mickey
Not everyone can get the 0% financing. It is still dependent on your credit rating. I would suggest that if you're married, look at both credit ratings and put that person first on the purchase and title. My wife's credit rating has always been higher than mine. Probably because I'm cosigned on the kids' student loans.

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
All this reports of sub 24K purchases is making me feel depressed. I do have the SEL trim.
I was looking for SEL but the stick shift won out and I have the SE. I love it, but the seats kind of suck. How were your seats on the drive home to ABQ?
I recently spent days on a car trip and they seat in the SE caused some pain!

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
Got my 15 Sportwagen today! Exact package I wanted, but had to take black, instead of the gray or silver I was looking for, 200 on the clock. Beautiful, sharp color -- just hard to keep clean! Last one, beggars can't be choosers. Got $6500 off with 0% for 72. They really wanted to move the last few they had. Very happy.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT

-mickey
not quite, one of the local dealers here offer only 0.9% for 72 month and not really willing to go beyond 5000 off either

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
not quite, one of the local dealers here offer only 0.9% for 72 month and not really willing to go beyond 5000 off either

...... try living in the fly over states

...... Guessing Okieville has only 3 dealers. Tulsa, Norman, and OKC.

..... in order to get a competitive offer, need to go out at least 200 miles.

..... Got my 2015 (in 2015) from MO. 368 miles out.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I think that's why we get such good deals on VW's here in the DC area. The dealers are stepping on each other. This is like 20+ dealers in a 50-mile radius:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think that's why we get such good deals on VW's here in the DC area. The dealers are stepping on each other. This is like 20+ dealers in a 50-mile radius:
WOW...

Guessing you have a choice of many cars (in general)

I my case I am fishing the bottom of the barrel for base (S) Golf only. That is IF I do go for a 2018

Currently the local has maybe one Golf (SE) -- not too cheap -- otherwise a great dealer. Has a ton of Jetta. Better on price with that model. Don't know why?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Because Americans, in general, don't buy hatchbacks. They prefer sedans. Conversely, Europeans don't buy small sedans, they prefer hatchbacks.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
You really don't want to negotiate your monthly payment at a car dealership. Negotiate the sale price of the car first, then negotiate your trade allowance,
I ALWAYS negotiate "spread", as in, "I'll buy that car for my trade-in + $X".

And I'm crystal clear that the $X includes EVERYTHING - sales tax, DMV, dealer prep fees, showroom fees, test drive fees, sales mgr fees, etc

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
I bought my new sportwagen s with dsg, mats, first aid kit and those blocks for $1500 off sticker and $5000 rebate.

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
I got my Jetta S for MSRP minus $5k rebate and another $800 off. I cold called something like 30 dealerships and it was the only S I could find for that price without going to the east coast. The dealership happened to be not far from my close friend's house in Denver and he ran over after work to look it over for me. I told him I was looking for "Any reason to not buy it" and wound up putting a $500 deposit on it while he was there.

I pre qualified for the 0% loan through VW and I finally flew down to pick it up 2 weeks later. My experience at the dealership was a cluster F from the beginning, but I was also exhausted after 5 hours of airplanes and airports when I got there. When I got to doing the paperwork, VW had apparently investigated me further since my credit is basically all fabricated from credit cards, and they used a certain model on one bureau's report that gave me a 695, vs 730+ for all others. I got blindsided by this when he told me my APR was 2.6% instead of 0. I really wanted the car but managed to convince myself to walk on it. I got up to leave and they renegotiated with the dealer eating 1%, leaving me with 1.6% which is still incredibly good for my financial position.

Definitely not a great start to my relationship with the new Jetta that looks like a rental car, but it's growing on me. :D The fact is with the rebate and the warranty there's nothing better I could have bought.

y2kbird

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Black Jetta, '03 Blue Jetta
....VW had apparently investigated me further since my credit is basically all fabricated from credit cards, and they used a certain model on one bureau's report that gave me a 695, vs 730+ for all others. I got blindsided by this when he told me my APR was 2.6% instead of 0. I really wanted the car but managed to convince myself to walk on it. I got up to leave and they renegotiated with the dealer eating 1%, leaving me with 1.6% which is still incredibly good for my financial position.

Definitel
Dealer lied. They cannot "chip in" on your rate, they have to charge you at least what VW qualifies you for. Jetta S rate Tier 1/2 rate factor is .00038. I'm reading this right off the dealer sheet from Apr/May for TDIs (didn't change for June). Credit score of 699-680 puts you in Tier 3, which is a .0003 upcharge. add those up to get their total 'buy' rate factor .00068 x 2400 = 1.632% APR So they tried to upcharge you, and you ended up getting exactly their 'buy rate'.

Last edited:

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT

the thing is that dealer had two cars that i wanted ( 2 manuals S gsw) and I didnt want to waste time searching and 2 days flying and driving back for 500-600 extra, if you factor in time from work, airfare and driving back I dont think it is worth it

Last edited:

NomadMac

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen S
I picked up my 2015 GSW S with DSG at Uptown VW in Albuquerque on May 15th. $5,000 discount of MSRP for an actual price of $21,800. Rubber and fabric mats, Lightning adapter, cargo blocks included. I didn't try to negotiate a lower price; I was just happy to close the deal as I didn't know how many were out there. SF Bay Area dealers didn't appear to be offering the VW discount or have much inventory. I got royally pissed off at Antwerpen VW in Maryland for false low-ball advertising on cars.com which is where I found the car that I bought. I was happy to find the model I wanted in the color I wanted, titanium silver. Put a deposit on a credit card over the phone. My wife and I took Amtrak and the salesman picked us up at the station.

VW makes you finance a minimum of $6K at 0% interest for the $5K discount. Uh, okay! (VW does a lot of things I don't understand.) No pre-payment penalty. I financed $8K, just sold back our 2010 JSW, today, so I get a new car with a warranty for $119.50 for 72 months. I was going to do the fix but after I looked at the buyback price, it was a no brainer. $16.2 for a car I paid $15.5 on two years before. Plus the DSG was slow to engage making me nervous.

We drove back and got 45.6 mpg average at the pump. Pretty good for a fresh engine with 60 miles on the clock and at altitude. Best tank was 50.0 dead even. We love the new car.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78248095@N06/34001417243/in/dateposted/
I swapped the 17"s from my 2010. It killed me to put the pristine 16s with tires that had just 2,500 miles on them on the buyback car but I couldn't find anyone that was interested in a cash + swap deal.

I was kind of irked that the dealer hadn't filled up the tank as promised. I got documentation from the dealer that I had to have the car smogged in CA. They paid the $44 fee and included another $81 as compensation for the key fob remote batteries we had to replace within 24 hours of leaving the dealer. I had requested $8, so, it's all good and fair.

Oh, I had the car 40 hours before I walked out in the hotel parking lot and found somebody had already scratched my new car even though we took care to park in isolation. Grrr!

We miss the heated seats of the 2010 but the 2015 warms up so much quicker it should make it more bearable. It's interesting seeing the advances in TDi technology as we've owned 2005, 2010, and now the 2015. We referred to the 2005 Golf as the tractor. That moniker was dropped with the 2010. 2000RPM in the 2010 was 60mph, 2000RPM in the 2015 is 70mph. 2500RPM is 90mph!

Hope this helps.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
....snip....

Oh, I had the car 40 hours before I walked out in the hotel parking lot and found somebody had already scratched my new car even though we took care to park in isolation. Grrr!

....snip....
habitual Devil door dingers have a special place in a hot climate zone waitng for them.

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
Interesting, these stories. I like reading them. It's neat to see where people end up going to get the right car. I live in the Albuquerque area and I considered going to Colorado Springs and El Paso, even though the Albuquerque dealers had some inventory. I had looked farther but El Paso had something I am happy with and I didn't have the time to deal with flying and driving farther.

The seats in these S / SE GSWs are horrible though, eh?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think it depends on what you can get comfortable in. B4 Passat seats are very flat and hard, but I don't mind them. And OE GL MKIV seats were pretty flat, too, but I like them. However, I'm pretty comfortable in most coach airline seats, too, so maybe I'm a bad judge.

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
Have to say my GSW seats are getting more comfortable after a week of ownership. Either I'm getting used to them or they're breaking in.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't get the seat criticism; perhaps a body size/height issue? I'm short and fat and my S seats are great for me. Plenty of cushioning. Angles are fine. Took a 1,200 mile road trip to the Canadian Grand Prix a few weeks back and no issues at all. Very comfortable.