Is a Malone tune right for me?

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
Been reading about tunes on these, and it's got me thinking. $500 is a small price to pay for something that will add significant power, but are there downsides?
I don't plan to modify the crap out of this car. It's my daily driver and commuter car and will continue to be that. I put about 20k a year on at this time with just my regular driving, but that may change soon to be about 25k a year.
I need to keep this as a reliable daily driver, and I am very meticulous with maintenance. It will have oil changed every 10k, and it will have the dsg services done when needed. Right now I live in a cold winter climate in Ohio but if we end up moving, we will be in Tennessee where the weather is much better. Not sure if that makes any difference, bit just throwing it out there.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The only downside is that it will void your warranty, unless you go the Flashzilla route so you can revert to the factory settings before you take it in for service.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I've never regretted my Malone tune. And like 1854sailor mentioned, a flashzilla makes it extremely easy to flash back to factory settings if needed. I'm pretty sure they have cracked the '15 M.Y. cars for Flashzilla use.

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
Not sure I want to risk my warranty, especially thstbextra long emissions one they are probably going to look for any excuse to void..

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pretty much zero chance of that if you flash it back to stock.

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
There are ALWAYS downsides. Read the Performance Disclaimer.

Personally, I plan to wait until the warranty expires on this one.

-mickey

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I would recommend buying a flashzilla with your order and going with a stage 1 tune. If you keep doing your maintenance and pay attention to the car it will be fine. You will have added performance and probably a few mpg increase. Owning the flashzilla will allow you to revert to stock anytime. If you want a stage 2 or something more in the future I think flashzilla can hold 3 tunes.

EDIT: You may need to look into a dsg tune depending on what tune you choose. The 0.5 doesn't need it. I am assuming we are talking about your 2015.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you don't want to risk your warranty leave it alone. I just bought a 2015 Beetle TDI and it won't be touched, plenty of power for normal driving. I also have a 2003 Beetle TDI and that one already has Malone tunes. No warranty to worry over though.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
VW can easily detect Mk7 ECU tuning via flash count, per hundreds of posts I've read on GolfMk7.com and Vortex. They don't scan your ECU for small potatoes, but if you break a turbo, engine, or tranny, you can bet VW will ask the dealer to scan and then you'll be toast on warranty when you're flagged TD1.

I'd love to tune, but these Mk7 TDIs have so much warranty that I just don't want to throw it all away just yet.

gatz

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Golf TDI PD, 2006 MkV Golf GTI
Yeah, any time you take your car into the dealer, if they plug the factory scan tool for any reason its automatically flagged & reported as TD1 (tuned), even if you flash it back to stock. It's not something the tech has any control or say over.

Because that warranty is so generous, I would really avoid the tune myself.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
So get a spare ECU for the tune for $150 from a salvage yard and swap it out before going to the dealer.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Not sure I want to risk my warranty, especially thstbextra long emissions one they are probably going to look for any excuse to void..
You got it. If, (when) VW finds your MOD -- kiss it good bye.

11 years, and 162,000 miles.

I *value* mine at $2,000 - $3,000 ~ When I do the fix.

And remember it is transferable to all new owners.

Best warranty on the planet. IMHO

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm doubtful that at the dealer level they'll look at the number of re-flashes. My GSW had been reflashed twice before I received it. I suspect dealers see a range of reflash counts on cars that are brought in. If you re-flash the car back to stock before warranty work I suspect you wouldn't have a problem.

I seriously doubt my car will ever see the dealer again. But that's probably not the norm here. Tuning your car is a bit of a gamble, but, IMO, not a huge one.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I agree. I've never heard of a tdi owner being denied any warranty coverage due to flash count on a car that comes in with factory settings. Maybe it has happened, but must be extremely rare.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm doubtful that at the dealer level they'll look at the number of re-flashes. My GSW had been reflashed twice before I received it. I suspect dealers see a range of reflash counts on cars that are brought in. If you re-flash the car back to stock before warranty work I suspect you wouldn't have a problem.

I seriously doubt my car will ever see the dealer again. But that's probably not the norm here. Tuning your car is a bit of a gamble, but, IMO, not a huge one.
If it's a big warranty claim from a dealer to VW, VW will have the dealer run a scan and then you're toast.

Good discussion from a VW/Audi MasterTech here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7492

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I've heard of two people total having their warranties voided so far (across all platforms), and many many many more who haven't had issues. It is something VW plans on cracking down on, and has already started to do so, so I'd expect stricter enforcement in years to come.

The current work around is to remove the ECU and bench flash it. For whatever reason you can buy the anti tamper screws from VW, so you can just replace them after tune installs.

It's always best to be honest with your dealer though, so if warranty is a concern it'd be best to leave the car alone.

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
It's also immediately visible though, and it's hard not to leave a single mark on the casing even with separating tools. Then you've got the whole consistently lying to staff thing.

Have had a lot of cars go in for fixes/updates without reverting to stock though and the dealer didn't notice. They're not in the best position to be lecturing people about unapproved software on their cars.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Question for the Malone rep, since you're here and I'm considering a Malone tune sometime down the road: In my state, Delaware, our DMV inspection for diesel consists of the state inspector plugging in to the OBD II port.

On-Board Diagnostic (OBDII) - There are two steps in the OBD II inspection. With the key on and the engine off, the inspector confirms that the MIL is functional. The inspector connects the inspection tool to the OBD II system to check the status of the system. The following is a typical OBD II connector. This test takes approximately 2 minutes to complete. The test checks for trouble codes and monitor readiness. If you have recently replaced your battery the vehicle's monitors will not be ready causing the vehicle to fail. Drive the vehicle for several days to reset the monitors prior to DMV testing. The OBDII test method will replace the Division's tailpipe test (and pressure test) for 1996 and new gasoline powered vehicles and 1997 and new diesel powered vehicles with MGVWR less than 8,500 pounds registered in New Castle County and Kent County.
http://www.dmv.de.gov/services/vehicle_services/reg/ve_reg_emissions.shtml

Can you elaborate on the readiness state of all vehicle monitors with your tune installed.

Bottom line: Will your tunes pass DE's OBD II inspection?

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
We do not falsify emissions readouts, that falls into the range of defrauding federal officials and is a serious offense both for the customer and tuner. If emissions are a concern, it'd be best not to delete anything. Long as the car is otherwise stock it'll be fine.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We do not falsify emissions readouts, that falls into the range of defrauding federal officials and is a serious offense both for the customer and tuner. If emissions are a concern, it'd be best not to delete anything. Long as the car is otherwise stock it'll be fine.
Let me be a bit more specific.

I was looking at the Rawtek ECO kit and Malone Stg 2 tune, years down the road when warranty is no longer a concern to me: https://www.rawtekinc.com/products/sportwagen-tdi-2015-dpf-egr-adblue-delete-exhaust-eco-ki

Is that a yes or no on passing Delaware's OBD II inspection?

I do see this part, which I assume means no?

Disclaimer:

Last edited:

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
Looks like I'll hold off on the tune for a while. The way I've been driving this thing, I'll hit 152k in about three years though

u1859

TDI
06' jetta brm
Older car of course, but 06 jetta stage 2 with high idle and dynamic egr. Just pulled off my first 729 mile tank at 49+ mpg. With my 5 speed manual I do have to drive a little careful as at peak torque it will blister the clutch with massive slippage. Dsg is out of my range of knowledge. I would do it again if I needed to.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
On the 2015 ? - No way would I put any tune on it. Warranty concerns.

the older ones ? - why haven't you already ? My 2000 NB has 4speed auto => 5 speed manual swap, with SMF, PP205 Injector Nozzles, and RCStage 2 (modified for my injectors). It can ALMOST keep up with the 2015 Golf.