Wrecked the TDI and my buy back is 6/15

VeedUp

TDI
2011 RS JSW
Looks like they will total the car my body shop told me today, still waiting to hear from the insurance company, sounds like I'm going to get screwed out of the settlement money, with what I'm reading, my appointment for the buy back was moved to the 29 in hopes of getting told it wasn't totaled and just getting it to the dealer ship for the buy back. The one drivers air bag is deployed, the drivers fender, hood, grill, bumper cover, headlights, and probably the radiator support needs changing.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I'd get it back from insurance after paying the salvage price then do what is needed to get the title back in your hands, then turn it in to VW. it sounds like its still drivable under its own tdi power, and you have proof it was wrecked after the cutoff date.

VeedUp

TDI
2011 RS JSW
So it's in my best interest to buy back my car from the insurance company, then I need to resubmit my claim with with the salvage title?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I think your best interest is to see if you can get the car back without doing anything final yet, take it to the buyback, and see what happens. When my car got wrecked, I let my adjuster know what I was planning on doing. It took a couple of months from the time of the wreck until I was able to sell the car back, but there was no issue from the insurance. YMMV.

VeedUp

TDI
2011 RS JSW
I think your best interest is to see if you can get the car back without doing anything final yet, take it to the buyback, and see what happens. When my car got wrecked, I let my adjuster know what I was planning on doing. It took a couple of months from the time of the wreck until I was able to sell the car back, but there was no issue from the insurance. YMMV.
Did you recieve any compensation from the insurance company still? You can pm me if need be.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Yes, I received the "owner-retain" payment (i.e., their value of the car, less salvage value). But the sequence matters, and it's possible that different insurance companies, and/or different state laws, would require a different result. My car was wrecked, insurance had it towed, they did their estimate and called it a total loss--this was all last October. I talked with the adjuster, told her about the buyback, and that I didn't want to make any final decision on the claim at that time. Eventually, VW processed my claim, and I scheduled a buyback date in December. I had the car towed back home from CoPart, made sure it would start, the battery was charged, the tires were inflated, etc. On buyback day I had it towed to the dealer. The buyback rep had no issue with the car at all and processed the buyback. Once VW had paid off the loan, the insurance paid their amount.

VeedUp

TDI
2011 RS JSW
Yes, I received the "owner-retain" payment (i.e., their value of the car, less salvage value). But the sequence matters, and it's possible that different insurance companies, and/or different state laws, would require a different result. My car was wrecked, insurance had it towed, they did their estimate and called it a total loss--this was all last October. I talked with the adjuster, told her about the buyback, and that I didn't want to make any final decision on the claim at that time. Eventually, VW processed my claim, and I scheduled a buyback date in December. I had the car towed back home from CoPart, made sure it would start, the battery was charged, the tires were inflated, etc. On buyback day I had it towed to the dealer. The buyback rep had no issue with the car at all and processed the buyback. Once VW had paid off the loan, the insurance paid their amount.
Thanks, I'm going to try and go this route

VeedUp

TDI
2011 RS JSW
All done, everything went great as it should have. I'm going to miss the TDI, but I found something to help me get over it. A7 Prestige.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>

Why is it that people whose car was wrecked, whether it was their fault or not, think they deserve a double payment windfall?
I don't think a windfall is any concern of the settlement. I don't claim to have read all of it, but I haven't read anything that even alludes to any such disqualification (such as exists between my state annuity and Social Security). Nor, as long as the car is bought back or fixed, can I see how the goals of the settlement are not being met, and I therefore don't see how it's any concern of the principals, the court, etc. where an owner might receive any other payment, whether it is deemed a "windfall" or not.

{Possibly OT anecdote follows; not interested, don't read it.}

Our youngest son turned in his '13 Jetta for the buyback in April. It had been lightly T-boned the previous year, sufficient to ruin both passenger side doors, but perfectly drivable. He collected the amount of the insurance settlement, and also collected the full buyback amount from VW. Two separate legal entitlements exist here, regardless as to what he (or anyone else) might think he deserves. By virtue of his contract (policy) with the insurance company, he was entitled to $X, and the fact that the VW settlement existed did not relieve the insurance company of their obligation to pay him. By the terms of the VW / EPA / CARB settlement, he was entitled to $Y, and nothing in that settlement made reference to diminishing that payment because of any insurance payment. Therefore, he received $X+Y, which he should have.
And even if a car was totalled but drivable, and someone received the full insurance payout, the same rule should apply: the owner should receive both payouts.