maf, cel

bugablue

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle
Well, on my way out of town after work, my car lost almost all power, and I got a cel. There was no black smoke, just gutless. I figured it was the maf. So, when I got home, I unplugged it, and it was just as bad as my drive home. But, when I plugged it back in, BAM car runs excelent. After more searching on this wonderful web page, I came across a thread from cage, talking about the maf wiring harness. I came to this conclusion. Please, feel free to corect any of my mistakes... a faulty maf will not cause a cel, but a bad connection will. after unhooking it and reconecting it I restored the conection, causing a better then before running condition, and it does. so anyways, car runs excelent and I still have a cel. Do I just need to get this reset? Or will it go out on its own? I am in Estevan Saskatchewan, I don't know if there is anybody with vag-com near me.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
The light may go off after 10 or 20 restarts with no problems, but the trouble code will be stored until reset. You may find the problem coming right back, so work on the connection with deoxit and deoxitgold. That may keep it going for quite a while. Might not.