PD cams

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Care to elaborate?
Sure. Talked to frank about a cam. Told me about all this 'data' he had on his cam making gains. Told him all my mods on my car, never mentioned anything about his testing being on stock cars.

I spent $1450 and got no gains. My cam was even going bad and I didn't notice any difference.

I am a scientist and make claims on 1 variable. No difference before vs after. He said major increase in trq, no way.

Now he is claiming I don't have enough fuel (have pd150 injectors) and never mentioned anything about that even being a possibility before I spent all that money.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
I wish there were cams that actually worked for PDs out there...
There are. I've installed tons of Colt's without issue and every one I've done in a modded car (PD or VE) noticed a positive difference. I don't buy into the supposed "crack" business and I don't want to discuss it either. All that matters is a 5 year/500,000 mile warranty and satisfaction guarantee. That's all folks.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
There are. I've installed tons of Colt's without issue and every one I've done in a modded car (PD or VE) noticed a positive difference. I don't buy into the supposed "crack" business and I don't want to discuss it either. All that matters is a 5 year/500,000 mile warranty and satisfaction guarantee. That's all folks.
I wish I had gone with Colt, trust me

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Ok, Dieselpower, you got a problem. You are one of the few. Even though I have made offers and tried to explain what your issue probably is, you prefer to backstab. You think a Colt Cam is an improvement, but we have proof that we exceeded what a Colt does..

Matt,

The reason I have not returned the cracked cams is that if I had, the cams would have disappeared with no proof for me to show. THEY ARE REAL ENOUGH, MARKED AND GROUND, just like Geoff does them... no alterations. . You don't have to like it, and I personally HAVE LEFT WELL ENOUGH ALONE. NO NEED TO DREDGE UP CRAP LIKE THIS!

But if you want to sling B.S., then here is the TRUTH...

The cracked cam I brought with me to TDIFEST and you could have inspected, was replaced by my own cam design. The installer and the customer both noted better performance for the replacement cam.

And yeah, Paul, I see you following me around, even now. You had your fun, now it's my turn...

I was promised access to Colt Cams and then screwed. As it turns out, I was lucky that it worked out as it did.

DOES ANYONE CARE TO EXPLAIN a COLT STAGE 1.5 cam? I CAN!! But instead, I choose to let them be. After all, THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE RULES.. So, instead, the 'other guys' incorporate ONE unhappy customer to play minion. Care to find another?

Now, Dieselpower04, why don't you please explain that your cam that you are so upset with, and the PD 150 injectors that you are using are pushing an engine to over 195hp, and you haven't run a current dyno. But being SCIENTIFIC, you badmouth me with nothing more than your hard feelings to show your science. I'm guessing that given your scenario, you'd be a savant to feel what increase the cam would make. So, Mr, Scientist, WHERE IS YOUR SCIENCE? I'm not the only one who told you you are running out of fuel. Scott Krout says the same thing. But you conveniently forget to tell anyone your horsepower numbers in relation to your injectors.

Now, here is the rest of the story... and we have also told you this, DP04...

There is a variation in the setting for the torsion value which makes a lot of difference from one car to another. Most think that simply setting the torsion value to 0.0 is what it's supposed to be, but we have seen cars with fuel economy ranging over 50 mpg, with the torsion value from +2.5 to -5.7. We think we know what accounts for this variation.

But for you, DieselPower, to be so emotional and not take steps to remedy, but instead badmouth what I am doing and selling, while at the same time, misleading people with your slander is VERY UNFAIR. I suggest you try the remedies I suggest and prove your so-called SCIENCE.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Ok, Dieselpower, you got a problem. You are one of the few. Even though I have made offers and tried to explain what your issue probably is, you prefer to backstab. You think a Colt Cam is an improvement, but we have proof that we exceeded what a Colt does..

Matt,

The reason I have not returned the cracked cams is that if I had, the cams would have disappeared with no proof for me to show. THEY ARE REAL ENOUGH, MARKED AND GROUND, just like Geoff does them... no alterations. . You don't have to like it, and I personally HAVE LEFT WELL ENOUGH ALONE. NO NEED TO DREDGE UP CRAP LIKE THIS!

But if you want to sling B.S., then here is the TRUTH...

The cracked cam I brought with me to TDIFEST and you could have inspected, was replaced by my own cam design. The installer and the customer both noted better performance for the replacement cam.

And yeah, Paul, I see you following me around, even now. You had your fun, now it's my turn...

I was promised access to Colt Cams and then screwed. As it turns out, I was lucky that it worked out as it did.

DOES ANYONE CARE TO EXPLAIN a COLT STAGE 1.5 cam? I CAN!! But instead, I choose to let them be. After all, THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE RULES.. So, instead, the 'other guys' incorporate ONE unhappy customer to play minion. Care to find another?

Now, Dieselpower04, why don't you please explain that your cam that you are so upset with, and the PD 150 injectors that you are using are pushing an engine to over 195hp, and you haven't run a current dyno. But being SCIENTIFIC, you badmouth me with nothing more than your hard feelings to show your science. I'm guessing that given your scenario, you'd be a savant to feel what increase the cam would make. So, Mr, Scientist, WHERE IS YOUR SCIENCE? I'm not the only one who told you you are running out of fuel. Scott Krout says the same thing. But you conveniently forget to tell anyone your horsepower numbers in relation to your injectors.

Now, here is the rest of the story... and we have also told you this, DP04...

There is a variation in the setting for the torsion value which makes a lot of difference from one car to another. Most think that simply setting the torsion value to 0.0 is what it's supposed to be, but we have seen cars with fuel economy ranging over 50 mpg, with the torsion value from +2.5 to -5.7. We think we know what accounts for this variation.

But for you, DieselPower, to be so emotional and not take steps to remedy, but instead badmouth what I am doing and selling, while at the same time, misleading people with your slander is VERY UNFAIR. I suggest you try the remedies I suggest and prove your so-called SCIENCE.
My gripe is you never said there were conditional situations for gains before I bought this! You said all these cars showed a difference. You NEVER said I wouldn't see any increase with adding more fuel. You made it sound as though it was a drop in and go to more power.

Sadly I spent all this money right before moving cross country. Had I known I wouldn't see a difference (farfromovin felt his Colt cam right off the bat), I would have waited.

Had I known I need to add fuel, play with torsion settings and whatnot, I would have gone about this all differently. But I was lead to believe otherwise.

A5INKY

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
I wish to understand the cam's contribution to increased performance better.

Diesel engines are controlled by drivers request for fuel, air is introduced (amount controlled by the ECU) is in response to fueling conditions. This is of course opposite of how gas engines are controlled. Another key difference is that diesels typically operate in a much leaner AFR condition compared to their gas counterparts. That said, more combustion air should not result in more power unless an overly rich AFR was the prior condition. That said, on a car tuned for near optimal AFR should see no difference from a performance cam (or porting, etc.) without more fuel as well.

Simplistic, I know, but am I missing something here?

Performance cams often yield gains in gas engines because air flow around the valves is usually the point of greatest restriction. Since their ECUs add fuel to optimize AFR for available combustion air, more air can equal more power without other changes. But in a TDI, would more power not be more dependent on fueling with things like performance cams, porting and big valves considered support mods?

DP04, From my experience with R783s and much research, 195 WHP sounds like it is pushing (or at) the limits of PD150 nozzle potential. If so, more air would not necessarily make more power.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
To be fair, if you are running out of fuel, a cam that offers more air is NOT going to give you more power. If this IS your situation, a colt cam, heck a cam from god himself, wouldn't have given you any more power.

Jim_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
To be fair, if you are running out of fuel, a cam that offers more air is NOT going to give you more power. If this IS your situation, a colt cam, heck a cam from god himself, wouldn't have given you any more power.
x2

Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure that one out...

:rolleyes:

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
Any mod done to a diesel that adds more airflow will need more fuel to have a power gain. Simple diesel tuning 101.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Any mod done to a diesel that adds more airflow will need more fuel to have a power gain. Simple diesel tuning 101.
Again not stated before I bought. He knew how much power I was making. If I had known I need more fuel, I wouldn't have had these expectations that fell completely on its face.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Sounds like you are tying to blame others for your ignorance. It is called Due Diligence.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Sounds like you are tying to blame others for your ignorance. It is called Due Diligence.
Oh shut the f*ck up. Someone told me something that wasn't true. Bottom line. Ive been doing this for 5 years. Others claimed to feel the cam increase. I expected the same.

faboka

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia vRS TDI PD130
Do any of the performance cams increase pressure on the injectors themselves helping to create more fuel being injected for the same duration? Or are they just designed around airflow?

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Agree, someone making almost twice stock power should know this stuff by now.
If many agree with this sentiment, then the OP should take heed and STFU...

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
Again not stated before I bought. He knew how much power I was making. If I had known I need more fuel, I wouldn't have had these expectations that fell completely on its face.
You can't blame anyone else for your lack of understanding about Diesel tuning.

A5INKY

TDI
You can't blame anyone else for your lack of understanding about Diesel tuning.
So true. Cams are not part of a package deal and are a more advanced supporting mod. Very few built TDIs are alike. Can't expect piece parts to stand alone in their power benefit. Modding comes with responsibility for creating the desired outcome.

A5INKY

TDI
Do any of the performance cams increase pressure on the injectors themselves helping to create more fuel being injected for the same duration? Or are they just designed around airflow?
Not the Colt, or Frank's AFAIK. Injector lobes are same as stock, only int/exh are changed. Not sure about the other cams across the pond.

I find it interesting that Colt nor Frank provide specs. Most high performance cams lead with specs. This silly "stage" rating being used seems geared toward the ricer package builds for kids, and is a bit played out IMHO.

How about marketing actual specs and letting modders have better info to fuel their expectations?

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
So it's my fault I bought his BS? Cute
BS or no BS if you hadn't been shopping on BS alone and spent a few hours learning how changing a camshaft could effect your engines performance you wouldnt have been in this situation.

Then understanding the way in which it changed your engines performance you would have understood that there would be a requirement for a retune to allow for more fuel. And if your injectors where already maxed out you would know you would need new injectors.

People who wish to acheive performance from their car either need to understand the systems they are changing fully or pay someone else to select parts for them.....

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
BS or no BS if you hadn't been shopping on BS alone and spent a few hours learning how changing a camshaft could effect your engines performance you wouldnt have been in this situation.

Then understanding the way in which it changed your engines performance you would have understood that there would be a requirement for a retune to allow for more fuel. And if your injectors where already maxed out you would know you would need new injectors.

People who wish to acheive performance from their car either need to understand the systems they are changing fully or pay someone else to select parts for them.....
Ok it's all my fault. Thank you do very much for helping me understand my error of expecting what people say to be honest.

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
Ok it's all my fault. Thank you do very much for helping me understand my error of expecting what people say to be honest.
Would you believe the bull**** ebay tuning box lies? Yes a seller like this should be more truthfull. But understading the product before purchasing is the safer option in the automotive world.

Status
Not open for further replies.