Will the Glow Plug System light being on affect my buyback for Audi A3 TDI?

LeeLeeVegas

TDI
Audi A3 TDI 2010
I finally decided to turn in my 2010 Audi A3 (even though I love it and can't figure out WHAT to get to replace it) and today my car started losing power and the Glow Plug System/Engine Malfunction light started flashing while I was driving. Ugh. I think the car will make it back to the dealer - about 8 miles - the VW diesel tel line tells me if I submit my buyback paperwork today it will be at least 2 weeks before I get an appt. Does anyone know if bumper damage and the Glow Plug System light being on will affect my buyback? (I did drive over a curb the other day, I wonder if I did something to my engine then?).

Anyone have suggestions for a vehicle to replace my beloved A3 with upgraded stereo, sport version, gorgeous leather, etc.? I'm only getting $22k (car only has 80,000 miles) and of course I'd love to put those dollars toward other debt....has anyone purchased one of the "new" 2016 TDI Q5's they have at the lot at a 15% discount (still, these are like $46,000 - yikes!)... Has anyone tried the Etron? Thoughts? I found a Golf for sale for $11K that looks nice - a few years old with I think about 40,000 miles...Help! Or should I get my car engine fixed and buy a warranty and keep her?
:)

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Warning lights won't matter, minor cosmetic damage won't matter.

15% off list wouldn't convince me to buy a 2 model year old car. Double that, maybe. As soon as you drive off the lot, it's a 2 year old car.

The rest of us don't know what your likes, dislikes, and constraints are. An Audi Q5 is a very different vehicle from a used Golf.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Damages you described will NOT affect your buyback. Expect about 1 month between submitting documents and appointment date

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
Shop around if you really want a 3.0 TDI. I was able to get 30% off. The longer they sit, the better the discount should get. If you really love your A3, I'd recommend a used 2015 S3. The car gets pretty good mileage and is a hoot to drive.

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
25% off our 3.0

2 years old yes , but I’d never buy a $80k car....

$60k , nope.... $60k for an $80 k car and I’m getting a nice $25k for my older that’s paid off.... ok now I can bite.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Warning lights won't matter, minor cosmetic damage won't matter.

I thought even major cosmetic damage won't matter, such as needing $5,000 of body work. As long as you can drive the car in under its own power.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I thought even major cosmetic damage won't matter, such as needing $5,000 of body work. As long as you can drive the car in under its own power.
Things have changed lately. You cant even bring a car with 1 spare wheel unless you have original wheel with a tire in the trunk

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Things have changed lately. You cant even bring a car with 1 spare wheel unless you have original wheel with a tire in the trunk

Tell me more. How have they changed? Body damage is unacceptable?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Tell me more. How have they changed? Body damage is unacceptable?
Not sure whether an Audi A3 falls under the 2.0 or 3.0 agreement, and I have no idea what's in the 3.0 document. I was present a year ago April at our son's turn-in of his '13 Jetta TDI, and it had been t-boned on the passenger side, enough to ruin both doors. All he did was duct tape all around the doors & windows to keep water out, and it was turned in in that condition. There was no trouble, although the rep made some mouth noises that "VW may act to recover repair costs." Since there's nothing about that in the 2.0 agreement, we said nothing, they accepted the car, and he got the full buyback amount EFT'd to him 3 days later.
That being said, there have been anecdotes on this forum that things have changed. The only thing that is clear that's changed is "stripping" the car. Judge Breyer has said that's unacceptable....but that's a different thing than damage. If the car is equipped as it was when sold, and can be driven under its own power, I don't see the problem.