Dyno Thread!!!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I plan on giving my 1991 350SDL a run on the dyno. It'll be glorious as it has no exhaust right now.

It had 134HP when it was new, wonder how many horses have left the stable!

Anyone else excited about the dyno?

-J

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I ont remember if I signed up for the dyno or not, but looking forward to witnessing some of these.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Are you going to be running the SDL on the dyno in reverse??? :eek:

Milage King

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TD tuned
Is there a schedule of people who signed up during registration already, or will we be signing up and getting times on staurday?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Is there a schedule of people who signed up during registration already, or will we be signing up and getting times on staurday?
First come, first served. We do ask for courtesy for those folks doing the show 'n' shine so they can get back and do their show prep in a timely fashion.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
what is the cost to dyno your car if you signed up? and can you post the address in this thread?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Fast Enough Performance, 710 Downs Avenue, Lexington, KY

Pricing for dyno as follows.

Three consecutive pulls for $75. You will not be able to pull off the dyno. Simple tune swaps are acceptable while on the dyno.

If you want to do more complex mods and check them, Fast Enough will work with you on a discounted price for additonal pulls.

red golf tdi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
Looks like I will be missing the dyno, on my trip here I've lost about 4 psi over my entire boost range. :(

Darn, I really wanted to see what all my mods do for horsepower and torque.

Madmanmartin

TDI
02 Golf
Dyno results?

I think Fast Enough uses a dyno dynamics dyno, probably the best machine I ever worked on.

Let see some numbers!!!

Thanks Madmartin

A5INKY

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
The dyno at 'fest was a Dyno Dynamics eddy current portable unit. After being somewhat disappointed with my result I did some reading on it. From what I have gathered it is widely known as a "hearbreaker", consistently giving lower numbers than most other popular brands. It is also regarded as very consistent and accurate.

I did not think to ask about any specific correction factors used by the operator. I will reach out to them and find this out. It was quite hot on Saturday, close to 100F.

I posted 178.6 WHP.

Dieselfever78

TDI
01 Golf 1.9 TDi 5 speed
I know of a Dyno Dynamics at a shop that specializes in Diesel trucks and many claim it seems to usually give "higher than standard numbers" that or the shop is much better at tuning their customers trucks than others.

How were the cars dyno'd? Were they loaded then accelerated or taken up to a higher RPM then loaded down and "brought to their knees"?

-Michael

A5INKY

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
I know of a Dyno Dynamics at a shop that specializes in Diesel trucks and many claim it seems to usually give "higher than standard numbers" that or the shop is much better at tuning their customers trucks than others.

How were the cars dyno'd? Were they loaded then accelerated or taken up to a higher RPM then loaded down and "brought to their knees"?

-Michael
I also read that the Dyno Dynamics numbers can be inflated with manual correction factors. Not saying that this is what happens at the particular shop you speak of, just that it is possible. I just emailed the dyno shop (Fast Enough Performance) inquiring about the correction factors, if any, used Saturday.

The cars were accelerated on the dyno, not loaded down once up to speed - inertia mode IIRC?

Nice numbers are good for bragging rights, and franky, I would have like to see some higher numbers at 'fest. But it seems the better use is for gathering empirical feedback in the tuning process. Fortunate for me, Fast Enough Performance is only an hour from home. I can go back and chart my progress as I get the car tuned in.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I thought they were low, too. I got 184 with a very similar setup but no cam or head modifications, also on a dyno dynamics dyno. And at the last dyno day I got 167 having switched back to a 10mm pump. No correction except atmospheric on either dyno run.

Anyone else run?

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
The dyno at 'fest was a Dyno Dynamics eddy current portable unit. After being somewhat disappointed with my result I did some reading on it. From what I have gathered it is widely known as a "hearbreaker", consistently giving lower numbers than most other popular brands. It is also regarded as very consistent and accurate.

I did not think to ask about any specific correction factors used by the operator. I will reach out to them and find this out. It was quite hot on Saturday, close to 100F.

I posted 178.6 WHP.
Ya mine was done on a "heartbreaker" as well, but it was MUCH cooler outside..

kafer65

Veteran Member
TDI
Early '06 Jetta 5M
That is a beautiful car! Loving that color on a Golf! Sadly, I missed the dyno runs.