001348 - Sensor 1 for Exhaust Temp Bank 1 (G235): Circuit Malfunction (Help!)

Jeffmx5

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Red / New Beetle, 2000, Red
So I have had some minor drivability problems with our 2009 Jetta. Rough idle, idling on 3 cylinders, a loping idle. Then on the way to work this morning the glow plug light started flashing and the MFD said "Engine Fault Workshop" (if I remember correctly).

On the ride home the MIL (the yellow engine shaped light) came on with the flashing glow plug light and the same "Engine Fault Workshop" message.

Got out my VCSD and scanned the codes I pasted in below. I searched the forum for the error message I put in the title and subsections of it. I found one post with the same message but no help with diagnosis.

I am guessing that the 930.0C temperature is a full scale reading likely due to either a faulty sensor or faulty connection to the sensor. I am also guessing that this is an exhaust manifold sensor somewhere.

Does anyone out there have more concrete information? Thanks for the help.

001348 - Sensor 1 for Exhaust Temp Bank 1 (G235): Circuit Malfunction
P0544 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 3
Mileage: 71983 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 08:38:41

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1173 /min
Speed: 61.0 km/h
Voltage: 14.06 V
Temperature: 75.6°C
Temperature: 930.0°C
Temperature: 258.0°C
Temperature: 210.0°C

001348 - Sensor 1 for Exhaust Temp Bank 1 (G235): Circuit Malfunction
P0544 - 000 - - - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 6
Mileage: 71983 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 08:38:36

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1288 /min
Speed: 45.0 km/h
Voltage: 14.14 V
Temperature: 90.0°C
Temperature: 930.0°C
Temperature: 246.0°C
Temperature: 246.0°C

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0

andy7079

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Touareg
Sensor 1 (G235) is upstream of the turbo. Reporting 930 degrees either means the sensor is bad, or there is a short in the wiring back to the ECU. I'm just pulling info from the Self Study and my electronics knowledge.
I'm sure someone else can pinpoint you to the location of the sensor.

Jeffmx5

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Andy. Today the MIL was out and the glow plug lamp did not flash. This makes me think it may be an intermittent short. I would like to read the sensor while the motor is running. Does anyone know the measurement block for these temperatures?

This weekend I'll have a look around and see if I can see anything wrong.

Jeffmx5

Veteran Member
TDI
This Saturday I rescanned and there were no new codes. I scrolled through the measurement blocks and found two temperature sections, block 99 and 100 that have temperature sensors before the turbo, before the particle filter, after the particle filter, and before the precatalytic converter. I ran a log on a drive cycle after the car was warmed up. I included full throttle acceleration through 4th gear, steady state highway, in town and some idling. Max temps were 816C and min were 144C, both prior to the turbo. I crawled underneath and looked for the sensors and connectors. I found 2 sensors and connectors but all seemed in order. This seems to be an intermittent problem so I will keep an eye on it and hope it either never returns or fails completely. I am also going to bight the bullet and buy the shop manual.

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
So I ended up with the exact same codes today in our car. Clearing them and they just came back. I'm at the dealer now since it's warranty and we will see what they do. Mdi update was put on their lost and apparently an ECU recall reflash.

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
Another Exhaust Temp Bank Sensor Light. 09 JSW

Same thing just happened to me. Same codes. Same blinking glow plug light followed by the check engine light. Any updates on this condition? How did it work out for either of thw two posters? Anyone else experience this? I recently had the winter intercooler installed.

So I ended up with the exact same codes today in our car. Clearing them and they just came back. I'm at the dealer now since it's warranty and we will see what they do. Mdi update was put on their lost and apparently an ECU recall reflash.