MkV / MkVI Bluetooth FAQ (Updated 12/30/2010)

Parva

TDI
Now have a '13 Beetle Turbo, had a '10 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Any news regarding when we can receive the replacement 9W7 for free if we haven't gone and bought it yet? i.e. a free, dealer-installed replacement?
Thanks in advance!

carleton

TDI
Wagon,02,silver 2010 sportwagon
More paperwork

Just received a letter from Rust Consulting saying my claim was incomplete or insufficient because I may not own the settlement class vehicle anymore, so I resubmitted all the paperwork again. Why would I request a 9w7 unit be installed in a VW that I do not own? Has anyone else run into this situation?

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
I got the same or similar letter today. They had us sign a form stating that we still own the car in question. As you said, why would I want a replacement bluetooth module installed on a car I don't own anymore??

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
They're just stalling. I'm out of town right now, but expect similar paperwork waiting for me when I get home.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tip (gasser)
I got the same or similar letter today. They had us sign a form stating that we still own the car in question. As you said, why would I want a replacement bluetooth module installed on a car I don't own anymore??
They are using the information to determine how many people have sold the vehicle since the March 27 submission deadline. This will help VW determine how many installations will be needed.

Parva

TDI
Now have a '13 Beetle Turbo, had a '10 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Got the same letter today also. As I still own the car, I'll certainly send it back stating that I still want VW to install the upgrade. Sure would like to get this done & over with.

Dierre's TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2k1 Jetta (RIP), 2k3 Jetta, 2010 JSW
As of May 24, 2012, some people have received their refund. Other people have received a letter asking for more paperwork to clarify what was purchased for the install.

In a telephone conversation with an administrator of the settlement, I found that the reason some people have not yet received a refund was because the sales receipt submitted for the claim had VW's actual part number (7P6-035-730-C) as the item sold, not the "9W7" code designation for the product. Apparently, the administrators were unaware that when purchased directly from a VW parts department, the actual part number (and not "9W7") would be showing on the invoice.

I suggested to the administrators that they may have other submissions which show a different VW part number (e.g., 5P0-035-730x), and not the "PR Ordering Code" (9W7). Those submissions would still be valid for a 9W7 installation.
Received my check on 25 May for $325.00. Must be cashed within 90 days.

TDILOU

TDI
Golf 2010
Got the same letter today also. As I still own the car, I'll certainly send it back stating that I still want VW to install the upgrade. Sure would like to get this done & over with.
Add me to the list! Sent back paperwork immediately. I too would like to get this resolved as I have wanted this upgrade since purchasing the car and being totally dismayed at the lack of functionality of the 9W2 compared to what the advertised functionality was.

Dr. Jackal

TDI
2010 Golf 2Dr
if I haven't received any paperwork regarding the settlement (did submit the claim, but since moved), would going into a VW Dealer help me find out?

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
I received my letter to verify that I still own the car, and turned that in over 1 month ago. Still no word on getting a replacement module... Maybe they figure if they wait long enough, none of us will own the car anymore.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
I received my refund check today. All $472.25 of it. My claim form was originally submitted with the full part number for the 9W7. Because Rust Consulting did not know the actual part number was used on invoices from VW, not simply the "PR Code" of 9W7, that was what had caused the hold-up.

tav

TDI
2010 Golf
Got my postcard with the approval to schedule an appt with the dealer and get the free upgrade!
I got my card today as well. Called the dealer and they have no clue about this. They didn't find a part number for the upgrade kit for my 2010 Golf TDI.

Does anyone have a part number for the bluetooth upgrade kit for the 2010 Golf TDI?

Mine has the basic bluetooth that allows hands free cal receipt but not call placement.

Thanks.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
Tell the dealer the part number is 7P0-035-730-C or 5K0-035-730 (there may be a newer letter suffix now). This is the Bluetooth module part number for the "PR code" 9W7. If your car has a 9W2 or 9W3 now, the installation consists of unplugging the 9W2/9W3 from under the right seat and plugging the 9W7 in its place. This takes a couple minutes at most - only one minute if they've done it at least once before.

If you have a multi-function steering wheel, it would also be beneficial to recode the control module to make the "microphone" symbol button activate the voice command (instead of just muting the radio). The dealer will probably not know how to do this because VW hasn't yet told them...and the dealer probably doesn't use a Ross-Tech VCDS. They'll have to use the VW supplied system with directions from VW.

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Surprised Dealer Contact

Just emailed and faxed my postcard to local dealer who knew nothing about settlement. I also emailed the dealer: "Tell the dealer the part number is 7P0-035-730-C or 5K0-035-730 (there may be a newer letter suffix now). This is the Bluetooth module part number for the "PR code" 9W7. If your car has a 9W2 or 9W3 now, the installation consists of unplugging the 9W2/9W3 from under the right seat and plugging the 9W7 in its place. This takes a couple minutes at most - only one minute if they've done it at least once before.

If you have a multi-function steering wheel, it would also be beneficial to recode the control module to make the "microphone" symbol button activate the voice command (instead of just muting the radio). The dealer will probably not know how to do this because VW hasn't yet told them...and the dealer probably doesn't use a Ross-Tech VCDS. They'll have to use the VW supplied system with directions from VW."

I hope this works! I'll post my results and hope others do also. I am in the Western New York(Buffalo) Area.

Thanks Mr. Timewise!!!

Last edited:

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
I got my postcard yesterday as well. Figure I'll give it about a week for the info to dissmeminate from VWoA to the dealers.

djhensley

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Went to to the dealer, what a joke!

Called after receiving the postcard, the Service Advisor said he was familiar with the settlement, so I made an appointment.

Just spent 2 hours of my life sitting at the dealership for no apparent reason. The lame a$$ technician installed a new B/T module, but it is the same exact module that I already have! They cracked open my dash for no reason and now I am back to square one!!!

After read a few posts above I will have to tell them what to do. I am furious!

Dpthomas

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Sport
Called the dealership after getting postcard. The service writer said that VW is aware of the postcards, but hasn't yet provided them with instructions on how to handle. She expects that a TB with details will be issued in the Septmeber time frame.

scirocco*joe

TDI
2010 JSW
Called the dealership after getting postcard. The service writer said that VW is aware of the postcards, but hasn't yet provided them with instructions on how to handle. She expects that a TB with details will be issued in the Septmeber time frame.
So, Rust Consulting sends out postcards in July and VW only gets around to communicating to the dealers in September? Nice execution, guys...

k2curt

TDI
2010 Golf TDI!
Received my postcard, contacted dealer who said they didn't know about this issue. Called VW customer service, they contacted dealer and parts were sent. Dealer just installed. Receipt only says install sop bluetooth parts so I don't know exactly what they did. They said they had to call vw for info on new coding. The installed module is model UHV. i do not see the part numbers listed by Mr Timewise. Other numbers on the module include s/n 7662958773 and 1000534-001-00. I was able to pair my phone, although the green light on the overhead console does not come on either green or yellow. I can dial by pressing the push to talk button on the center console then saying call Ted. I don't see any phone book on the MFD or my radio screen. Should I? I can also call out by dialing my phone directly as I would have in the past. Anybody know if this is a 9W7 unit or some other? Love my TDI.

k2curt

TDI
2010 Golf TDI!
Also, they gave me a supplement page after installing gthe new bluetooth that says UHV Settlement Retrofit Supplement Instructions for Volkswagen Vehicles. I do not know how to include a copy of it in this post, it says I cannot include attachments. Basically it says how to pair, use the overhead three button module and make a call. It doesn't say anything about a phonebook available on the MDF or radio screen. So maybe they found a way to satisfy the lawsuit settlement without going to the highest end bluetooth module?

spidrman

TDI
2010 sportwagen
I just told my VW Service Advisor to send the module back. I do NOT want to lose ANY functions.
After reading the issues with the other folks "upgrade". I've made my decision..

spidy

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I think you made the correct decision Spidy. But you forgot to tell the dealer to stick the "fix" up thier butt.
Come on! It's not the dealer's or VW's fault that the settlement is probably not a 9w7 replacement for the 9w2 module. It comes back to the lawyers and how the suit was spelled out. The suit asked for blue tooth functionality that includes voice dialing. That's what VW is complying to. I've been involved in other class actions and am not at all surprised at this final outcome.

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
I just called my dealer. My car is about due for routine maintanence anyway, thought I would try to get both done at the same time. The person I talked to in service states he has not received any instructions from VW about what to do with this issue still. Really??