Nov 21/22 Rocketchip Tune And Dyno Day Sign Up Thread

TDI'ed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Hi guys, lets make this the official thread for sign ups.. lets keep this simple... please post your name, date/place you desire. Also please list the year of your car, mods, etc etc in brackets following your name for Jeff.

DATE: Saturday, November 21st 2009
PLACE: Diesel Doctors with full access to the DYNO Rollers (Dyno Tune)

* There will be an additional fee for the dyno
** We are going to try and fill dyno and tunes.. if there is space left over we can do dyno's for those not needing a tune.

Dyno and Tune
1. drrutled (Dyno + Tune: 99.5 ALH NEEDS CHIP/SOLDER)
2. LNXGUY (Dyno + Tune) : 1999.5 Jetta (ECU has already been socketed) : 11mm pump, Sprint 502 (.226's), PD150 intake mani, race pipe, Dawes.
3. Caloony (Tune): 2003 sprint 520s
4. Athlonman (Dyno + Tune) : 1998 Jetta AHU 2.5" exhaust. might get 520 injectors before
5. TheTDIWagonGuy (Dyno and tune) 2003, .216's, race pipe, vr6 clutch, hopefully 3 bar map by then.
6. TDI'ed's neighbour * Pending (Tune) 2005, stock

Slots reserved for dyno's only provided there is availability:
1. REDNECKDZL (Dyno Only)
2. Marchmen (Dyno Only)
3. LanciaF1 (Dyno Only)
4. hangle (Dyno Only)
5. Mrvermin (Dyno Only)

DATE: Sunday, November 22nd 2009
PLACE: Brandon's shop at Hwy 400 & Finch, RC tune only (no dyno)

1. P2B: 03 ALH/PP520.......................new tune *
2. Silverbeast: 00 ALH/Sprint 520's.....re-tune; Current: RC3 ... new sprints 520*
3. BigI: 02 ALH/PP520.......................new tune *
4. VDUB TECH (5 cars+)....................new tune?
5. CmdrData: 01 ALH/Sprint 520.........new tune with egr delete
6. streeker02

Last edited:

drrutled

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI
drrutled : Nov 21 : Dyno and Tune : 1999.5 Golf : Sprint 764 (.216's), race pipe, egr delete

Last edited:

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I can confirm that I would be up for a dyno (no new tune needed) on the 21st.

TDI'ed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Please if you are reserving a slot just reply with:

Your Username : Date requested : Dyno, Dyno and Tune, Tune : Year and Model of Car : Current Mods of Car if getting Tuned.

Ex. TDI'ed : Nov 21 : Dyno : 2000 New Beetle

I will input you into the list in the order of confirmation.

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Whoops, sorry about that.
2ManyKMFor1Tank
RC Tune/Dyno for a 99.5 Jetta currently stock but may upgrade my nozzles before then.

On another note, anyone selling nozzles I can use for a mild upgrade before the tune?
From what I have read Sprint or PP 520's seem to be the way to go.
Any recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks

Aaron

Last edited:

caloony

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI GLS
I'd be interested in a tune and egr delete on the 22nd, price depending!

I have a 2003 alh with sprint 520s

silverbeast

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 2 Dr GTI - Candy White
DATE: Sunday, November 22nd 2009
PLACE: Brandon's shop at Hwy400 & Finch, RC tune only (no dyno)

- BigI: 02 ALH/PP520.......................new tune
- VDUB TECH (5 cars+)....................new tune?
- CmdrData: 01 ALH/Sprint 520.........new tune with egr delete
- P2B: 03 ALH/PP520.......................new tune
- Silverbeast: 00 ALH/Sprint 520's.....re-tune; currently have RC3 but since then i have got some sprints 520 so re-tune to suit the new nozzles.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
2ManyKMfor1Tank said:
Whoops, sorry about that.
2ManyKMFor1Tank
RC Tune/Dyno for a 99.5 Jetta currently stock but may upgrade my nozzles before then.

On another note, anyone selling nozzles I can use for a mild upgrade before the tune?
From what I have read Sprint or PP 520's seem to be the way to go.
Any recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks

Aaron
If you're running a stock turbo Sprint 520s are what Jeff usually recommends. RC3 with Sprint 520s you'll enjoy the results. And with a '99.5 you may not even need a clutch.

TDI'ed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Hi guys, out of curiousity how do you think we should schedule the dyno regarding tuning clients and dyno only clients? Would it be best to stagger them? What I mean is

1. Dyno + Tune
2. Dyno
3. Dyno + Tune
etc
etc?

Also, I figure we give time slot (we'll figure out time slots later on after we get some final numbers) priority according to the sign up list... this guarantees those that commited first get a slot. If needed I'll sacrifice my slot for a Dyno + Tune client.. I'll still be in attendance though :)

TDI'ed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
For those inquiring on price here is a quote from OmegaRenegade. These are rough estimates and not absolute but it gives you a rough idea (these are tuning prices only we'll have to sort out dyno costs regarding tuning and non tuning):

"Just got off the Phone with Jeff ... As for prices he gave me a general guestimate

AHU ~$200
99.5 ALH ~$335
ALH ~$300
BEW/BRM ~$315 - $450
the prices are just a rough estimate and final price will depend on the stage and level of work needed to complete the task."

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
Chris - as it seems your still heading this whole thing up, you need to figure out what you want to do.

A) run a dyno day - NO TUNING
or
B) tuning day - NO Non-Tuning Dyno Runs

you WONT be able to do both.

having run a dyno day in the past, and having been at RocketChips previous tuning day i can tell you that you simply WILL NOT have time to accomplish both and keep everyone happy.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
LNXGUY : Nov 21 : Dyno and Tune : 1999.5 Jetta (ECU has already been socketed) : 11mm pump, Sprint 502 (.226's), PD150 intake mani, race pipe, Dawes.

hangle

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
PLACE: Diesel Doctors is willing to host with full access to the DYNO Rollers

** To those listed in the original dyno thread.. please let me know whether you confirm whether you wanted a dyno run only or a tune and dyno.

1. TDI'ed (Dyno Only)
2. REDNECKDZL (Dyno Only)
3. Marchmen (Dyno Only)
4. 2ManyKMfor1Tank Stock (Dyno + Tune: 99.5 ALH NEEDS CHIP/SOLDER)
5. drrutled (Dyno + Tune: 99.5 ALH NEEDS CHIP/SOLDER)
6. LanciaF1 (Dyno Only)
7. hangle (Dyno Only)

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
PLACE: Diesel Doctors is willing to host with full access to the DYNO Rollers

** To those listed in the original dyno thread.. please let me know whether you confirm whether you wanted a dyno run only or a tune and dyno.

1. TDI'ed (Dyno Only)
3. Marchmen (Dyno Only)
6. LanciaF1 (Dyno Only)
7. hangle (Dyno Only)
8. LNXGUY (Dyno and Tune) : 1999.5 Jetta (ECU has already been socketed) : 11mm pump, Sprint 502 (.226's), PD150 intake mani, race pipe, Dawes.

TDI'ed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
For the greater good lets go dyno and tune for Nov 21. I can get dynoed in the spring; Jeff is not up here all that often so no worries.

After thought: Perhaps we should see what kind of interest we get on the dyno and tunes.. fill them up and then fill in the dyno only slots if there are any left?

Last edited:

TDI'ed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Omega (or anyone with experience in dyno + Tune), what should we cap the number of dyno + tunes at for the day? How long is Diesel Doctors willing to open up their facility to us?

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
There are a couple of ways we can look at this.

Option #1
If we shoot for a minimum of 10 cars to dyno, and the cars getting the tunes simply want to have a dyno after the car has been tuned, we can consider this a regular dyno day. Based on Omega's note, the cost would be $50 per car and we'd have the place for 5 hours (maybe more?). I'd say Jeff would be able to get no more than 4 cars done, and once he's finished doing a tune, that car is next up on the dyno. This assumes that Diesel Doctors doesn't mind Jeff setting up shop while we are there.

Option #2
If the people getting tuned want modifications done between dyno runs, then the cost appears to be $90 but we'd have the facilty for probably longer. I'm not sure how they would handle just dyno's regarding price in this scenario.

I think given what we have so far, and that Jeff will be tuning at Brandon's the following day, Option #1 seems like the best bet to shoot for.

caloony

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI GLS
1. TDI'ed (Dyno Only)
3. Marchmen (Dyno Only)
6. LanciaF1 (Dyno Only)
7. hangle (Dyno Only)
8. LNXGUY (Dyno and Tune) : 1999.5 Jetta (ECU has already been socketed) : 11mm pump, Sprint 502 (.226's), PD150 intake mani, race pipe, Dawes.
9. Caloony (Tune, EGR Delete), Sprint 520s, DG Race pipe, AFE CAI

TDI'ed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Marchmen, I like your line of thought. Omega, can you let me know your thoughts on this? I am tempted to go with Option 1.. that way we serve more cars for the dyno.. and everyone gets their tune.

On another note entirely.. I'd advise everyone getting a (first) tune to get ahold of a vagcom and do some logs of your car. Make sure your car is working properly especially Specified and Requested MAF and MAP. Just my two cents as I struggled with this during my tune and once it was rectified the tune was much better. Since this is a one shot deal for the majority of you, (I was tuning with charlie over the internet for a period of weeks) you'll want everything in top shape so jeff can maximize your cars potential on the day.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
The dyno for the 5 hour window between 9 and 2pm will cost $450 and then if we go beyond that we are charged $900 for as long as we need. I'm sure if push came to shove we could negotiate something in between however id like to get a good grip on who all is actually comitted to this before i start bartering with Diesel Doctors for better rates.
At the time of this message there is 7 weeks between now and the dyno day, not saying that the people who've chimed in already will bail, but circumstances change and we'd need to be able to achieve whatever we commit to with Diesel Doctors.

Lets leave it the way we have it now and when we get closer to november we can make a better decision as to how this will all work out.

DiRoTDI

TDI
Jetta Mk4
hey i am just wondering what rc would be ideal for my 2001 jetta tdi with Euro Tech Intake,New South EGT & Boost Gauges w/Steering Column Pod,Boost controller, PP520 nozzles, (In The Works EMT EGR & Cooler Deleted, DP/Catalytic Deleted).any help would be greatly appreciated.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
I believe Jeff will be better able to suggest what is best for you on the day but i think you'll be in the 1,2 or 3 category.

GuyGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Comfortline DSG
Ok I'm interested but I have a long way to go before getting a new tune... Once again I need to clean the VNT vanes, I need to get some new injectors (PP502's or Race 520's) don't know yet, need to do some logs with vag-com and I need to build a ccv mod.

Now I see that's it's a 7 hour drive!!!

If I can only sell some intake manifolds and my veggy setup then the wifey won't blow a gasket ;)

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
GuyGuy, I thought I read some mention that Jeff is coming to Montreal this fall as well? Less of a drive for you...