Rear engine mount: gearbox thread stripped

Trog thou Meatier

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora/Jetta
Franko6 said:
Helicoil... http://www.helicoil.in/helicoil.htm or you can just get the next bigger size bolt and redrill and tap it. Maybe it's not the perfect thing, but sure cheaper than a gearbox!
Thanks for that. Can't seem to find a distributor in Ireland, but there are other similar products I can find - V-Coil is one.

They talk about M sizes. I'm not sure what that means and, therefore, which kit I'd need. Here's the label on the box that the bolt came in. Is it possible to tell from that?

Thanks again.

Trog thou Meatier

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora/Jetta
Right. Hopefully I've worked this out.

The shank width is 10mm (although the width at the screw is about 9.5mm). I guess that makes it an M10. The pitch I've measured at 1.5mm. The screw part is about 25mm. The length of the bolt (not including the head) is about 70mm.

I found this. Will it do the job, do you experts think? I'd like to just get an M10 kit but I can't find one in stock on-line, although a universal kit might come in handy later.

I'm reading that I need cutting fluid as well.

Does that sound right? I'd hate to screw up the screwing, as it were. Please, oh gods of all mechanical, give me a sign!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Actually they have a kit with only the size you need.

But if you want to drop the Ha'penny on a big kit like you linked, get the one that goes from 5MM to 12MM.

That will work fine and you will end up with a stronger connection with the original bolts with the original torque.

In an emergency, going to the next bigger bolt will work though.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Before throwing money on a kit, ty a local motorcycle repair shop, most will stock a range of helicoils for sparkplug thread repair.

Trog thou Meatier

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora/Jetta
whitedog said:
Actually they have a kit with only the size you need.

But if you want to drop the Ha'penny on a big kit like you linked, get the one that goes from 5MM to 12MM.

That will work fine and you will end up with a stronger connection with the original bolts with the original torque.

In an emergency, going to the next bigger bolt will work though.
I ordered the multi-size one since it's delivered locally.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I must admit to a fair amount of trepidation; if I make a mistake things could go from bad to worse. Anything particular I should be looking to do/not to do?

Trog thou Meatier

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora/Jetta
DPM said:
Before throwing money on a kit, ty a local motorcycle repair shop, most will stock a range of helicoils for sparkplug thread repair.
Too late!

A nice fella in a motorsport shop did ring round a few of his mates in the business for me yesterday, and quite a few of them did have spark-plug sized kits but not the smaller type I need.

Trog thou Meatier

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora/Jetta
Sorry to keep banging on about a very boring subject.

I received the repair kit. The question I have is: the inserts are only about 1cm long whereas the bolt thread is more like 2.5cm, so should I use two inserts? Do I need longer inserts after all?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
How much bolt engagement will there be? It better be more than the 1cm, so use two or even three and cut the extra off of the last one.You want to get as much bolt in the repair coils as possible.

You should be able to get longer inserts as well. 10mm long for a 10mm bolt is a sign that they cheaped out on that part and want you to use twice as many repair coils.

Trog thou Meatier

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora/Jetta
whitedog said:
How much bolt engagement will there be? It better be more than the 1cm, so use two or even three and cut the extra off of the last one.You want to get as much bolt in the repair coils as possible.

You should be able to get longer inserts as well. 10mm long for a 10mm bolt is a sign that they cheaped out on that part and want you to use twice as many repair coils.
Thanks whitedog - I appreciate it.