TDI Cylinder Heads

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
subsonic44 said:
Frank, I had seen one of your posts about oversize valves. I had also been reading on other forums about people using larger valves on the 1.9 AAZ head. How much larger do you think you can go over oem for valves on the 1.9TD AAZ (idi) and or the 1.6TD (also idi)?
The research has continued and results are just about in. Install and testing will be in about two months. The package will include several options and standards for mods of the following:

Increased valve size to 33.5mm nitrided inconel exhaust valve.
Improved flow intake valve,
valve guides with better heat dissipation and wear characteristics
vastly improved valve seats
improved weight and strength valve springs
low weight valve spring retainer
modified porting
modified hydraulic lifters
high lift cam with several possible lift profiles
accumulator/pipe style intake manifold
performance pistons

There is more, but that covers most of the improvements on the drawing boards.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I am currious to see the test results when they are in. I have a friend that does head work and porting on gasser VWs, but I would love to see what a TDI guru could do with one.

Steve C

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Franko6 said:
Before you blame your machinist, I'd consider what you may have done to the head yourself.

I've posted about how to properly install injectors so that you don't over-tighten the hold downs in order to keep the seal from leaking. The hold downs only require 15 ft lbs when the copper crush washers are properly seated.

The cracking I have seen is from people tightening the hold down until leaking stops. Some just think that the pressures are so high, they need to really cram the hold downs on real tight. When that is done, the injector breaks the head by the force of the nozzle being driven through the head. It is not from installing seats. The crush fit of the seats, if done properly will not crack any head.
I meant a good rebuilder,as in my cylinder head.I never touched the injectors either, I only removed them.

P

PAvwgeek

Need A TDI Head

Originally Posted by Franko6
I buy core cylinder heads in any condition and for any TDI, TD or NA style diesel head, exchange or without exchange. Value is according to amount of damage and repairability. I pay for the cost of return shipping charges.

To receive estimate of core value, send a description of the following:
1. any damage to the hydraulic lifters.
2. camshaft,
3. damaged lifter bores
4. camshaft journal cap damage.
5. damaged valves, if known,
6. mating surface damage and
7. valve seat damage.

Hi, new to the forum but I have an AHU head that had a lifter trash itself and did a nasty job to the lifter hole. The rest of the head is totally fine. Is this head of any cor value to you if I would order a rebuilt one? Thanks

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
can be rebuilded yes..

Another question.. anyone know if it's a good idea to gind away the bump in a PD head in the intake port? haven't measured it yet but seems like not so much meat is left there with the injectos hole..

87turboquattro

Veteran Member
TDI
97 passat
Nash_TDI said:
I am currious to see the test results when they are in. I have a friend that does head work and porting on gasser VWs, but I would love to see what a TDI guru could do with one.
then you should pm mrchill for the results of his customers.;)

87turboquattro

Veteran Member
TDI
97 passat
Rub87 said:
can be rebuilded yes..

Another question.. anyone know if it's a good idea to gind away the bump in a PD head in the intake port? haven't measured it yet but seems like not so much meat is left there with the injectos hole..
i forgot what i did to mrchill's cylinder head.sorry,but i can go have a look at it.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Frank,

First of all, it sounds like you do some good work, bravo.

My question is this- in my experience with gasser engines, I have seen countless engine and head rebuilds, and almost without fail, when a head is rebuilt, and the bottom end left alone, the engine cosumes more oil than before.

Have you seen instances where one of your heads, on a worn block has caused increased oil consumption due to increased blowby from higher compression?

TIA

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Windex: I got a rebuilt head from Frank when my engine had about 253k miles on the odometer. My engine now has almost 291k miles, it did not use any oil before and it still doesn't.

I suppose it depends on why the head needed to be replaced or rebuilt.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Rebuildable AHU

PAvwgeek said:
Hi, new to the forum but I have an AHU head that had a lifter trash itself and did a nasty job to the lifter hole. The rest of the head is totally fine. Is this head of any cor value to you if I would order a rebuilt one? Thanks
Trashed lifter bores are a specialty of mine. I bore them out and bush the lifter bore.

Also, if that is the extent of the damage, you can probably get by cheaper than replacing your cylinder head.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Nash_TDI said:
Stay tuned... Things are in the works...These things always take longer than you would think.

Last edited:

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Compression issues

Windex said:
Frank,

First of all, it sounds like you do some good work, bravo.

My question is this- in my experience with gasser engines, I have seen countless engine and head rebuilds, and almost without fail, when a head is rebuilt, and the bottom end left alone, the engine cosumes more oil than before.

Have you seen instances where one of your heads, on a worn block has caused increased oil consumption due to increased blowby from higher compression?

TIA
Some of the questions I always ask:
How many miles on the engine?
Can you still see the original cross-hatch marks from the cylinder honing?
Are the pistons all within .005" projection of each other?
Are both sides of the piston level, right to left?
Was the car using oil prior to the incident?

I don't care if the engine has 300,000 miles.... if there are obvious hone marks in the cylinder, I carefully measure piston projection, but generally do not touch the bottom end.

The greater issue than blow-by at the rings for TDI's are captured top rings. It is caused by crushing down the piston from catastrophic collision from valve/ piston contact.

If a piston is crushed down, the top compression ring can be captured. Sometimes, the top ring can be pried out and the ring groove can be re-cut for clearance. Sometimes the cast iron insert that the top ring runs in, will crack. When that happens, the piston needs to be replaced.

If the engine has enough miles that it has been burning oil or smoking excessively at start up, having the head off is a great excuse to re-ring the pistons. Either check bore diameter with internal mics, or push a new ring into the bore and measure end gap. One thing is for sure... if you see hone marks, don't sweat your cylinder wear... it's nearly NON-EXISTENT! Deglaze, rings, new rod bearings and bolts and away you go...

2000BEETLETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI, sold.... 2002 Jetta Wagon TDI loved it, but had to sell it, replaced it with a low miled 2003 Jetta Sedan and just sold it when I got a 2009 Jetta, 2005 Dodge Cummins 6 speed, short bed, 4 door, 4wd , 2010 Jetta 6 speed, wifes car
do you have a website?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Frank is out of town for the weekend, I caught him on the phone just as he was leaving the shop. he prolly cannot answer until Sunday.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I just wanted to share a picture of what can happen if a timing belt breaks and the valves that hit are not replaced.

In this picture, you can see the end of the valve stem in the head. At the 5:00 position, you can see that the crack initiated there by the smooth, grey color. As the crack progressed, it worked it\'s way across the stem to the 11:00 position. You can see what are called "beach marks" working across the face. Finally at the very end, you can see where things started failing very fast at the black stripe, then just past that is a rough, final fracture. You can go to my photo gallery and see a slightly bigger version of this picture.

This is the joy I found when I bought my Beetle semi-dead. IT was still running on the other three cylinders but that's all. The timing belt had broken and been replaced, then the PO was driving along and tappety-tap-tap then pow and smoke and he bought a Subaru WRX.

Zippy1

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon GLS - 133k
Was the piston OK in that one Whitedog?
I am guessing the car was a 5 spd?

I have had that happen on a gasser when a retainer let go. Dropped the valve into the cylinder, punctured the head and the piston.

I also had one do essentially the same (Pontiac V8), but it also broke a rod (cast). Then the broken rod jammed it's way up through the valley and out the side of the motor.
Needless to say that was a complete replacement.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Zippy1 said:
Was the piston OK in that one Whitedog?
I am guessing the car was a 5 spd?

I have had that happen on a gasser when a retainer let go. Dropped the valve into the cylinder, punctured the head and the piston.

I also had one do essentially the same (Pontiac V8), but it also broke a rod (cast). Then the broken rod jammed it's way up through the valley and out the side of the motor.
Needless to say that was a complete replacement.
No. The valve bounced around in there and ruint that piston and #2 from the debris floating around. Also some of that debris made it to #3 and #4.

Here is the piston:

Full story HERE.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/timball/DSCF0015.jpg

Ed533

TDI
2001 jetta
Frank - I have a 2001 jetta TDI. The hydraulic lifter went, ruining the cam. The other lifters are thin. What would a 100% totally complete package cost? head, lifters, cam, all gaskets etc.

Thanks
ED

mam0032

TDI
two 03' Golf tdi's
Hey Frank, I've got some exhaust coming into my coolant reservoir. I havn't done any other testing, but my research has lead me to believe the head is warped. I did a check on my fans and the main one was not functioning, who knows for how long.

This weekend I found a MK4 Jetta in a junk yard sitting there with the whole engine inside. I'm not sure what the mileage was, and there is no sign of catastrophic damage, so I was thinking of pulling the Head from the car and having it checked out. Maybe it doesn't even need anything?

Before I got to far with this I wanted to see if you had any input. I'm sure this post will probably just reveal my lack of understanding of what will be involved, but what I'm thinking is, if it can be done, I'd get the head checked out, get all my parts, do the swap, and then also sell the other head for a core.

I understand there are different heads, mine is an 03, I think the one sitting in the junk yard is an 00, or 01.

Thanks!

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
head sould fit fine, altough I would not attempt to mount a used head without resurfacing it.. just take it to a shop and have it ground straight.. should cost less than 50 bucks and then atleast you have a straight head to start with

mlindner

TDI
2002 Jetta
Just broke belt an hour ago

Hi Frank, verynice Thread, will look at head today, hopefully off and see
how much damage...... Its a 2000 Jetta TDI
Will be back,

Thanks, mark

mlindner

TDI
2002 Jetta
Hi Frank, nice thread, just broke belt an hour ago, will hopefully get head off today and
get back to you as to needs, 2000 TDI Jetta.

Thanks, mark

volksmech

TDI
01 jetta tdi
do you by chance have any injectors laying around for a pumpe duse engine? 1.9 2007 jetta?

Ashmo501

TDI
Jetta GLS 2002 (RIP), Jetta GLS 2003
Hi Frank. Belt broke, 02 Jetta. Lifter and camshaft damage. Not a mechanic, but MetalMan is taking care of me. Was wondering if you could help alleviate the cost of fixing it, rather than getting everything new. Sent you a PM with some info.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Shucks, I should try and keep up with this thread.... sorry if I missed some of these posts.

The best way to contact me is either PM me or email me. Things are very busy and we are cranking out a lot of work.

If anyone is interested, our big problem of having completed stock heads is behind us. We just took shipment of 70 new cylinder heads today. 50 of them are bare and we will be building them to our specs in our spare time (yeah right, spare time...) and 20 of them are new Kolbenschmidt heads complete with cam and lifters from the factory. We do the same as always, 1-year, unlimited mileage warranty. For those of you who need quick service and an exchange head, we can do that, with all the parts, one box shipment.

Price of the KS, $980 All new factory built
The bare heads are $860, my build, all new valves, guides, cam and lifters.
Both are sold on an exchange basis.

I think everyone can see that I build for longevity and have thousands of heads built. Thanks TDIClub!

bgbearnavy

TDI
2006 PD Jetta
My 2006 Jetta TDI was brought back from the dead! Frank Irving did a fantastic job on my 1.9L Head, I had him place a BEW cam and cut groove bearings for better oil flow modification. He is most HIGHLY recommended!!