Jeep Patriot?

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
I work in forestry and drive a lot on gravel roads and my Skoda is a little too low. The steel skid plate has been good to have if I put it that way...I have 150mm of clearance under the skid plate, that's under 6".
Now I'm thinking of either getting a car/truck which is better suited to do the job or fabbing a lift and taller tires for the Skoda.
Anyway, I happened to find a Jeep Patriot ad, never saw one before. It has a VAG 2.0 TDI engine, I assume it's a PD?
How are Jeep in general? Build quality, reliability etc? My budget would get me a MY 2010-2012 or thereabouts.

I only found one diesel for sale at the moment, the other Patriots had a 2.4 litre gas engine, is it good? Mileage?
I don't need much, but a good 4wd system that shifts power to the rear axle quickly when needed (or a 50/50 centre diff) and a bit of ground clearance is a must. I also don't want a bigger car/truck, fuel is really expensive over here...

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Meh. They are not well regarded in North America. There was no diesel version here, I would assume that it uses the same technology as VW used in the same era (i.e. P-D versus common-rail). Jeep Patriot, Jeep Compass (previous generation - not the new one that just came out), and Dodge Caliber were all the same unremarkable car underneath. These cars pre-date the FiatChrysler connection - there are some Mitsubishi and Hyundai relationships in these.

The 2.4 gasoline engine isn't anything special. Probably any of them on your side of the pond would have a manual transmission, which is a good thing, because the automatic may be a CVT. The other choice was a 6-speed Hyundai-sourced automatic. I don't know how to distinguish which versions came with what automatic transmission.

If you want all wheel drive, make sure any that you buy actually has it! Lots of these were front wheel drive pretend-Jeeps. All wheel drive was optional. (note: Wikipedia suggests that all sold in the European market had all wheel drive)

I know someone who has one. It functions, and that's about all I can say about it.

The good thing about these being not well regarded, is that you can probably get a used one cheaply.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I cannot imagine with all the much better choices you have there ending up with a turd like a Patriot. Even with the TDI under the hood (Mitsubishi also sold a small CUV there that was TDI powered), I'd still look for something else.