Need Advice(Previous 02 TDI Owner) Hello Again!!

Beeah

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSWs 6MT | 02 Jetta TDI(Sold)
Hello all! It's been a very long time, but I think I'm back in the market for another TDI. I recently moved and now have a bit of a commute and am looking for a vehicle to check all the boxes I need. I'm noticing that the Jetta SportWagen's in 6 speed manuals are pushing 42mpg.

I guess my questions are is there anything new or specific I should know or look out for on these more modern cars? I was very, very into my 02 Jetta TDI and had a good amount of mods done. I think they will be in my signature when I post this. I also read that because of the recall when you buy a used car from a dealer they extend the warranty 4.5 years and 54k miles on manual cars. Is there anything else I should know?

Any difference mechanically between 2012 and 2014 cars?

Any tips or helpful hints is very appreciated. Excited to hopefully be part of the community again!!

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Mechanically the same. Main difference is that a backup camera is available on the 13&14 models. Don’t think they were in the 12s, someone will correct me if I’m wrong.
Don’t get a sunroof unless you like dealing with leaks.
Bought my 12 JSW 6M in January and in 3 fillups I’m seeing high 30s for mpg.

Some prefer to pay a bit extra for it to be CPO to get 2yr unlimited miles bumper to bumper coverage.
Others prefer a larger discount for no CPO, but still having the emissions warranty.
Some cars have more or less warranty left on them depending on the individual car’s sales/ownership history.
Happy hunting!

Edit: I could certainly get 600mi/14gal if I worked at it, but it’s more important to me to flow with traffic and minimize the amount of time that I’m taking up space on the road.

Last edited: